ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many neighbours do you knock?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
supertouring
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 21:47
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by supertouring »

mattycash wrote:Never, big knock on door frame with PDA & I'm writing 739 out, even if a neighbour comes out & offers to take it in, it goes back, teach them a lesson, they might just stop ordering shite off the internet.
Best comment ever. Pmsl
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by azza30 »

I think you are all missing a trick. Royal mail are so dim, so why not play them at their own game? If everyone started knocking walks could not be completed, therefore they would be forced to shorten the walks. The reason it doesn't get built into walks is because most posties are to subservient and will just end up taking everything. If royal mail want you to knock and for us to be number one, then do it and force local managers to manage. Walk will have to get shorter. This is one reason for actual. In time dropping to neighbours will be monitored.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Postie45 »

azza30 wrote:I think you are all missing a trick. Royal mail are so dim, so why not play them at their own game? If everyone started knocking walks could not be completed, therefore they would be forced to shorten the walks. The reason it doesn't get built into walks is because most posties are to subservient and will just end up taking everything. If royal mail want you to knock and for us to be number one, then do it and force local managers to manage. Walk will have to get shorter. This is one reason for actual. In time dropping to neighbours will be monitored.
youre right, but its probably something the union would have to instigate be it on an office or national level. One postie doing it alone will have to put up with the aggro that`ll come with it, not everyone is wanting to fight each day at work, they just want to do a job and go home.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by deristrong »

Postie45 wrote:
azza30 wrote:I think you are all missing a trick. Royal mail are so dim, so why not play them at their own game? If everyone started knocking walks could not be completed, therefore they would be forced to shorten the walks. The reason it doesn't get built into walks is because most posties are to subservient and will just end up taking everything. If royal mail want you to knock and for us to be number one, then do it and force local managers to manage. Walk will have to get shorter. This is one reason for actual. In time dropping to neighbours will be monitored.
youre right, but its probably something the union would have to instigate be it on an office or national level. One postie doing it alone will have to put up with the aggro that`ll come with it, not everyone is wanting to fight each day at work, they just want to do a job and go home.
Going back to the "Doing The Job properly" argument. Even just one day of everyone "Doing The Job properly" would result in a statement being made (chaos would ensue).
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by DGH »

The other problem with the 'do the job properly' argument (the first problem with it is the distinct disinclination of most postal workers to have daily arguments with their managers), is that 'doing the job properly' actually means 'by the book' and many postal workers clearly do not believe that doing the job by the book is in fact doing it properly. I'd contend that most posties will try neighbours where time allows, or (more likely) when they know the neighbour is very likely to be there and take the packet. They will tend not to do that when it looks like it'll be a waste of time (same goes for 'safeplacing', etc).

Basically, 'doing the job properly' is perceived (rightly or wrongly) by many members as either being a jobsworth or bringing unwelcome confrontation, or both. It's why the 'do it properly' argument is ultimately futile - we (collectively) won't because we don't believe it's sensible.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by azza30 »

Well today I told the Dumb that I would be able to go over as I had a slight change of circumstances. But I also told him I may not finish. So I knocked neighbours and wrote out dockets properly. Must have taken back 20 parcels today. Took half hour break on the walk tòo. No one sent out to help so took back about 45 minutes work. Dumb couldn't say anything. I hope the office fails so the manager's are eventually moved on.

I still cannot understand the lack of dignity and subservience that lots of posties have.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Jamiechelt »

definitely no time at all .. unless a neighbor is clearly visible
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by wacko74 »

joewyan wrote:
mattycash wrote:Never, big knock on door frame with PDA & I'm writing 739 out, even if a neighbour comes out & offers to take it in, it goes back, teach them a lesson, they might just stop ordering shite off the internet.
“Ordering shite off the internet” pays our wages
Yes but ordering shite off the internet to be delivered to their home address EVERY DAY when they know full well they're not going to be in to receive it EVERY DAY does become very irritating to the postie and costly to the business with time wasted on dealing with undelivered items.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Postie45 »

wacko74 wrote:
Yes but ordering shite off the internet to be delivered to their home address EVERY DAY when they know full well they're not going to be in to receive it EVERY DAY does become very irritating to the postie and costly to the business with time wasted on dealing with undelivered items.
with current tech it would be pretty easy for a customer to basically select what days they actually want delivery of packages, RM are lagging behind the times and it results in waste by having us go out each day with another package the recipient wont be home for.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Celgar »

I'm fairly lucky on my walk in that most people are in to accept parcels. I think as a general rule it's safer to not try neighbours unless you know all your customers.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
WhiteMoses
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Sep 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by WhiteMoses »

Hell no! Last Wednesday I left a packet ( untracked) with a neighbor...Monday I had a phone call from my manager asking with who I left the packet ( obviously left docket with neighbors number)because she can't find it anywhere at the neighbors ( she tried all the neighbors on her cul de sac. I had witness ( my pair colleague which was in the van) ...so for me is a lesson...a big no no from now on
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by postmanzach »

Idiots, hope your joking.
With nearly every parcel ,when they are in, ask if they have a safe place or neighbour that’s usually in incase they are our.
Taking stuff back is a pain the ass for everyone.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by postmanzach »

azza30 wrote:I think you are all missing a trick. Royal mail are so dim, so why not play them at their own game? If everyone started knocking walks could not be completed, therefore they would be forced to shorten the walks. The reason it doesn't get built into walks is because most posties are to subservient and will just end up taking everything. If royal mail want you to knock and for us to be number one, then do it and force local managers to manage. Walk will have to get shorter. This is one reason for actual. In time dropping to neighbours will be monitored.
Excellent point! We should be aiming for quality service not cutting costs at every opportunity. Shame royal Mail can’t decide which it wants. Luckily down here managers respect that the powers above are trying to cut costs above quality which ain’t right and if your late back you get paid for it, can’t believe some people on this forum say they don’t. Perhaps there manager trolls or something.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Depends how close next door is or how big a parcel it is, basically. Some I won't even try and it goes to their mothers or whatever round the corner. All depends on how well you know a walk. There a certain less desireable areas shall we say where I never try.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Oh and Saturdays, there's no way I'd be happy being knocked out of bed to take a parcel for somebody I probably don't like anyway so I wouldn't do it to them!