krussel wrote:Read all the comments. Its sober reading and saddening really how far things have changed. When I started in the mid 80’s Christmas was indeed looked forward to for the chance of earning extra OT. There was an agreed signed deal between the CWU (UCW then) rep and the Dom where a certain number of hours were paid on the basis that the office would clear down mail every day. Nothing was ever left on christmas eve.
Now things are different. I my opinion deliveries which in my office average 4.5 hrs of walking are long enough for a days work. Christmas mail volumes will add at least another 90 mins prob more on rurals. Getting out of the office later means working in the dark when you finish if you indeed finish.
If your lucky enough to be in your 20’s or 30’s and want the overtime then fill your boots and you will prob make about £15 a day extra. However its going to drag on at least 8 weeks and then after the big day and you return to work still half tired you have all the mailsort holiday catalogues and possible 5-6 D2D to look forward too.
I just think it’s a bit much esp if like the last few years the weather turns nasty on us. For years RM has always employed extra help at the mailcenters to handle the Christmas pressure load. Nothing at Delivery offices where the good will of the staff has been relied on to perform OT yet this is in a company where we had to vote for ind action to secure a pay deal. (rem VOTE NO on RMTV)
Christmas is a time for families and not coming home totally exhausted grumpy feeling ill and falling to sleep in a chair.
But maybe thats just me eh

It's not just you, mate. I feel exactly the same way. Last Christmas was my first and, being fresh, keen and on probation, I did all the overtime. Two hours overweights delivery in the morning, two to two and a half hours extension on end of day. Result? Knackered come the big day and falling asleep after just two ciders in the afternoon.
I'm nearly fifty, with young kids. This year I'm going to enjoy Christmas with them again.
I'm a year wiser and can remember every occasion where I've been stitched up by management this past year. But I'm not being churlish, that's not the reason I wont be doing much overtime this year. I just don't remember any mention at the interview of not being able to ever enjoy Christmas whilst employed by RM.
I don't want to end up like my full time van share partner, who now hates Christmas and genuinely dreads the festive season
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.