ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Suggestion Box

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by Celgar »

1) Remove memo & navigation functions from the PDA. Move the incident report option to a harder to access menu.

2) Automatically pay posties for all the work they do from when they first sign in to when they sign off to go home. Thereby alleviating all the hassle and arguments and preventing the RM unpaid work culture.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

The Suggestion Box

Post by Interested-seeker »

mattycash wrote:Let the gaffa's do the suggestions that's what they get paid for, you get paid to sort, walk & post mail though letterboxes.
I will do what I like thanks. Just because I get "paid to sort, walk and post mail through letterboxes" doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion about the job I do and how things could be improved. I think that a postie who is actually doing the job day in and day out has a very good idea of what needs to be changed to make the job easier.

I'm sorry...but I think that anyone of us (even us lowly posties......) can see that RM paying £30 a week to Work Place Coaches, who frankly don't do a lot, is silly. That money would be better spent on paying out overtime.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

The Suggestion Box

Post by Interested-seeker »

Celgar wrote:1) Remove memo & navigation functions from the PDA. Move the incident report option to a harder to access menu.

2) Automatically pay posties for all the work they do from when they first sign in to when they sign off to go home. Thereby alleviating all the hassle and arguments and preventing the RM unpaid work culture.
Definitely agreeing with you on point no2, it would save us a lot of stress and hassle.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by greengiant »

Celgar wrote:1) Remove memo & navigation functions from the PDA. Move the incident report option to a harder to access menu.

2) Automatically pay posties for all the work they do from when they first sign in to when they sign off to go home. Thereby alleviating all the hassle and arguments and preventing the RM unpaid work culture.
Using some automated microchip implant? Or knowing Royal Mail a tattooed 2d barcode on our foreheads and a scanner on the way in and out...

https://www.alphr.com/business/1010173/ ... -employees
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by LaggyBand »

greengiant wrote:
Celgar wrote:1) Remove memo & navigation functions from the PDA. Move the incident report option to a harder to access menu.

2) Automatically pay posties for all the work they do from when they first sign in to when they sign off to go home. Thereby alleviating all the hassle and arguments and preventing the RM unpaid work culture.
Using some automated microchip implant? Or knowing Royal Mail a tattooed 2d barcode on our foreheads and a scanner on the way in and out...

https://www.alphr.com/business/1010173/ ... -employees
PDA software will be further developed over the years to track and control eventually every aspect of your working day, from signing in, logging reason for lateness, leaving your frame, arriving at your IPS station, at a time depicted by the PDA, toilet breaks will require a scan, each box of mech scanned to show amount of mail sorted, and all this before you get outdoors. Finish early and you will automatically be allocated work from a PDA that is predicting an overrunning fleshy robot is holding it.

It’ll take years but it will happen bit by bit, nice and unnoticeable like the frog in hot water.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

The Suggestion Box

Post by twoloops »

It's usually the office licker that's got suggestions up his/her sleeve, usually along the lines of "No one listens to us" "I want recognition" leave that to the gaffa's that what they get paid for, not you. :no no
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by crimson king »

[quote] toilet breaks will require a scan[quote]

:hmmmm

What exactly will we be scanning?

I'm worried now, especially if it was cold that day. My PDA takes two or three goes at the best of times....
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by LaggyBand »

crimson king wrote:
toilet breaks will require a scan

:hmmmm

What exactly will we be scanning?

I'm worried now, especially if it was cold that day. My PDA takes two or three goes at the best of times....
You’ll be scanning a barcode on the door, there will be one for a number 1 and one for a number 2.

Spend too much time on a number 2 and you may need to cut off..
Mailman300
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Apr 2017, 09:10
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by Mailman300 »

Glp28357 wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Please post any suggestions that you have on to what improvements and changes you would like to see within RM.
Decent footwear and better uniform.
Decent management
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by Celgar »

greengiant wrote:
Celgar wrote:1) Remove memo & navigation functions from the PDA. Move the incident report option to a harder to access menu.

2) Automatically pay posties for all the work they do from when they first sign in to when they sign off to go home. Thereby alleviating all the hassle and arguments and preventing the RM unpaid work culture.
Using some automated microchip implant? Or knowing Royal Mail a tattooed 2d barcode on our foreheads and a scanner on the way in and out...

https://www.alphr.com/business/1010173/ ... -employees
The AHDC system could be used to pay posties for the work they do except that the union has stopped that trial. Other Postie's on this forum say 'just book any overtime' but it isn't always that easy to do. There is still vast amounts of work being completed unpaid within this business. RM and the union must know it is happening but neither party is doing anything about it.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by RTP »

Overtime paid at time and a half.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by crimson king »

LaggyBand wrote:
crimson king wrote:
toilet breaks will require a scan

:hmmmm

What exactly will we be scanning?

I'm worried now, especially if it was cold that day. My PDA takes two or three goes at the best of times....
You’ll be scanning a barcode on the door, there will be one for a number 1 and one for a number 2.

Spend too much time on a number 2 and you may need to cut off..
:Very Happy :Applause
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Redvannon
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 20:09
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by Redvannon »

[quote="crimson king"

What exactly will we be scanning?

I'm worried now, especially if it was cold that day. My PDA takes two or three goes at the best of times....[/quote]


I take two or three goes on a cold day too mate
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1509
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by HTPostman »

I'm struggling to see much point of workplace coaches and if it's true they are paid £30 extra that's a joke.

Mine spent 5mins on the PDA and the HCT then that was it. A week later I asked about a tracked item and he didn't want to know. I've learned more from the experienced staff.

A booklet would be good for the new starters. I was told in my 2nd week if your frame doesn't have a barcode on for your route on the PDA, just scan anyone's. Which I did for the next few weeks till I was told off and told what on earth am I doing. I've now been told to enter a number of digits instead and under no circumstances should I scan anyone else's frame. But again, I don't know unless I'm told.

Something needs to be done about the lengths of some rounds too. It can't be right that some are consistently going out at 9am and returning at 1.30pm, while busier rounds go out at 10am and get back at 3.30-4pm.

The work aisles need reworking too. Some of them you can barely squeeze 1 York down, others you could comfortably push 3 yorkies side by side down.

Lastly the yard is an absolute mess, not enough bays round the back so the last 10-15 vans all have to block everyone in, it means sometimes you're ready to go at 9.30am but you have to wait till 10.15 for everyone else to be ready to move their vans. I don't know what the solution is...maybe stop managers parking their cars at the front and let the vans park there instead.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

The Suggestion Box

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Have PSP set so that we each have a limited login to be able to login from home to do stuff like:

* Print off a copy of our leave card
* Put in for lieu days
* Put in to change AL or lieu days
* Put in for special leave
* See what the state of play is for what days have availability for booking AL (and by shift if not in a MC)
* Edit our contact details
* View our own absence history