ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's 'Postman Pete' as he delivers final letters

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's 'Postman Pete' as he delivers final letters

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/1722 ... l-letters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A MUCH-LOVED Johnstone postie has hung up his mailbag after delivering decades of first-class service to the local community.

Peter Murphy, 60, joined Royal Mail back in 1995 and went on to become a well-known face as he arrived with letters and parcels for countless residents.

And, in the first few days of his retirement, there has still been plenty of mail for him to sift through, thanks to the many cards he has received from those who are keen to wish him well.

Dad-of-three Peter, a former worker at the Chrysler car plant, in Linwood, told

The Gazette: “The amount of letters and cards I have received has been unbelievable.

“It has really brought a tear to my eye and shows just how generous people are.

“That’s really been the highlight for me. The people here are just really good people.”

Peter’s career as a postie began when a friend at Kilbarchan Bowling Club suggested he should join Royal Mail.

It proved to be a good way to stay fit, with Peter having to walk up to 60 miles per day as he completed his rounds, but he said the appreciation shown by the public always got him through.

He added: “People appreciate you being out in all types of weather to deliver their mail.

“There was one man, 90-year-old Andy Adams, who made me pancakes every day.

“Then there were the ladies who would offer you cups of tea to keep you going.

“That’s what I’ll miss the most.”

On social media, one post revealing Peter’s retirement gained more than 180 likes in a just a matter of hours.

Peter, of Greenend Avenue, insists he has been lucky to have two ‘families’ to count on over the years – his wife Sophia and their children being first and foremost, backed by all of his colleagues at Royal Mail.

“Working there is really just like being part of one big family,” said Peter. “I’ve been really fortunate with the colleagues and bosses I’ve had over the years.

“That’s another thing I’ll miss about it all but I’m looking forward to putting my feet up, although I still play bowls.

“I’ve also been given a list of jobs to do by Sophia, so I won’t really get much of a break!”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's ‘Postman Pete’ as he delivers final letters

Post by gerrys »

"Peter walking 60 miles a day'.....I no we all think our round is the biggest in the office but,doing daily mileage like that id have tears rolling down my cheeks crying for my mam !Best of luck & happy retirement :Applause
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's 'Postman Pete' as he delivers final letters

Post by maisymoo04 »

tea and pancakes every day ??? time did he finish :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's 'Postman Pete' as he delivers final letters

Post by Glp28357 »

No way in the world does he walk 60 miles in a day! That would leave no time for cups of tea or pancakes.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Retirement beckons for Johnstone's 'Postman Pete' as he delivers final letters

Post by Navalron »

6 miles per day of maybe 60 miles per week.. :thumbup