ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working My Holiday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by world class male »

i do get that in the current climate it's good to nearly double your earnings,
but the cwu and it's members have fought damn hard for some of the agreements to help protect us that are now being ripped apart,
i must say i'm flabbergasted by your reps involvement, he's correct if anyone has b&h you at work and it needs stamping out on any level, but he should and must encourage all to abide by the agreements and not go against them, pretty sure even your rep would get chastised by his area rep if told, he's failing in his job, simple as that
but then i'm not surprised of anything in RM/CWU towers anymore, the CWU section of RM will probably be dead in 3 years

it seems no harm done on this occasion, and your office sounds up to date with leave slots (lucky you) but you are definitely not supposed to work annual leave
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by postslippete »

I don't blame you although I would get what your manager says in writing! We've had guys that worked their annual leave thinking they would be quids in with overtime the following week only to find that they were not paid any overtime and had to take their annual leave at a later date when they didn't want it.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by jd9442 »

markfisher3 wrote: To another point that was raised about doing things by the book... 1) I always turn up early and on my frame in good time to assist my partner ensuring we are out on time and i do this freely and do not get paid for it. 2) In all the time I have worked for Royal Mail I have only ever had about a 5 minute break simply because we do not have time for one however and 3) I wear what I am given to do my job correctly.
Lol, I did find this sarcasm quite funny.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Working My Holiday

Post by Navalron »

I understand that you need more money at this time of year, we ALL do. But for your rep to be the facilitator of an action that his union have outlawed is unforgivable. No wonder the union seem to give up sometimes. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by number one »

Navalron wrote:I understand that you need more money at this time of year, we ALL do. But for your rep to be the facilitator of an action that his union have outlawed is unforgivable. No wonder the union seem to give up sometimes. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
So:
Member of staff want to come in
Manager wants member of staff in

CWU rep says no.

What does this achieve? I will tell you, staff member arguing with rep along the lines off who do you think you are telling me what to do, stopping me earning money. You’re supposed to be on my side, why are you stopping me earning money. You should be doing what you’re supposed to do and stop management bullying blah blah blah.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by rambo1 »

number one wrote:
Navalron wrote:I understand that you need more money at this time of year, we ALL do. But for your rep to be the facilitator of an action that his union have outlawed is unforgivable. No wonder the union seem to give up sometimes. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
So:
Member of staff want to come in
Manager wants member of staff in

CWU rep says no.

What does this achieve? I will tell you, staff member arguing with rep along the lines off who do you think you are telling me what to do, stopping me earning money. You’re supposed to be on my side, why are you stopping me earning money. You should be doing what you’re supposed to do and stop management bullying blah blah blah.
So, further down the line, say you have to go off long term sick with an injury possibly brought on by working too many hrs with not enough rest. Who are you gonna go to when managers are on your back?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by number one »

rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Navalron wrote:I understand that you need more money at this time of year, we ALL do. But for your rep to be the facilitator of an action that his union have outlawed is unforgivable. No wonder the union seem to give up sometimes. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
So:
Member of staff want to come in
Manager wants member of staff in

CWU rep says no.

What does this achieve? I will tell you, staff member arguing with rep along the lines off who do you think you are telling me what to do, stopping me earning money. You’re supposed to be on my side, why are you stopping me earning money. You should be doing what you’re supposed to do and stop management bullying blah blah blah.
So, further down the line, say you have to go off long term sick with an injury possibly brought on by working too many hrs with not enough rest. Who are you gonna go to when managers are on your back?
All the years I’ve been working I’ve never heard somebody go sick with an injury due to working too many hours
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by panch1989 »

The correct thing to do is cancel your leave and work. Not work your annual leave but there's too many I'm alright, jack's in this company.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by world class male »

regardless of all the pros & cons, it's against the company/union policy and no way should a CWU rep be endorsing going against any agreement, that a given.
i know why people usually work leave, at my d/o anyway, it's usually because they are PT and rely on FT-plus wages, which is their own situation to deal with, doesn't make it right if others need leave and cannot book it,
as i said earlier, it appears the the op is in an office with no back log so no harm done to other workers who may like a week off before the s**t hits the fan in a few weeks :left:
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by number one »

panch1989 wrote:The correct thing to do is cancel your leave and work. Not work your annual leave but there's too many I'm alright, jack's in this company.
So if somebody needed an extra £350 you would have no problem giving it them
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by panch1989 »

Number one. Biggest troll on here. Biggest jack of them all it seems
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by number one »

panch1989 wrote:Number one. Biggest troll on here. Biggest jack of them all it seems
So because I don’t follow the sheep and have a different opinion I’m a troll. Yeah ok mate.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by panch1989 »

Because you ignore the rules set out and the working practices. You're an I'm alright, jack. Plenty of them around. So the sheep is you
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Working My Holiday

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Navalron wrote:I understand that you need more money at this time of year, we ALL do. But for your rep to be the facilitator of an action that his union have outlawed is unforgivable. No wonder the union seem to give up sometimes. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
So:
Member of staff want to come in
Manager wants member of staff in

CWU rep says no.

What does this achieve? I will tell you, staff member arguing with rep along the lines off who do you think you are telling me what to do, stopping me earning money. You’re supposed to be on my side, why are you stopping me earning money. You should be doing what you’re supposed to do and stop management bullying blah blah blah.
So, further down the line, say you have to go off long term sick with an injury possibly brought on by working too many hrs with not enough rest. Who are you gonna go to when managers are on your back?


All the years I’ve been working I’ve never heard somebody go sick with an injury due to working too many hours
I have - partimer started on 20 hours - I advised him to push for 30 and he got it. At that point, he decided to work as much as he could. He went sick with stress after 6 months, and he openly admitted to me recently it was because he took on too much work.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Working My Holiday

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its sad when a thread starts to descend into name-calling and backbiting. You'd think we were enemies not colleagues :sad:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.