ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working My Holiday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

arnold cheshire wrote:
markfisher3 wrote:
Celgar wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:We've been told you can't get paid for working your days off while on holiday just get your holidays credited back
This is what we have been told by our DOM although some people on this site have said it isn't the case in the past. I think some DOMs may ask or offer for you to come in on your annual leave but there is no guarantee you will get paid or you may have to chase it up for ages. The best option is to swap the annual leave for days at another time but then only if there are spaces you want still free on the AL sheet.
The only reason I agreed to doing the overtime was because of getting almost double pay which would come in very handy as I am due to go away for a few days the week after. I wouldnt be bothering for anything other than that reason really. Having to nag for getting paid right is an almost constant thing anyways so wouldnt be anything new there.
38 hours overtime and your normal pay or did you think you would get paid triple?
No i was curious as I am 30 hour contract I have to work an additional 10 hours before the actual overtime pay increases (time and a half etc). I just wondered if I only had to work an additional 10 hours before that rate came into play because of technically being already paid for 30 or if all the overtime would be at a standard rate. I'm currently down to work 30.10 hours next week
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by joewyan »

markfisher3 wrote:Hiya everyone good morning.

I just have a quick question in regards to pay. I have next week down as a holiday and I have volunteered to work on four days on full time hours. I am contracted to work 30 hours but my main question is this. Do I only have to work an additional 10 hours before my hourly rate increases (due to being paid my normal 30 hours) or do i have to work 40 hours overtime before it happens?
Numerically:
30 hours (holiday pay) + 30.2hrs overtime pay (at normal rate)
or
30 hours (holiday pay) + 10hrs overtime pay normal rate + 20.2hrs overtime pay at increased rate?

Its just so i know what I should be due.

Many thanks
Officially you can’t do this. They cannot physically put holiday and overtime through on the same day so not sure how they are going to get around this! Hours between 40 and 60 are actually paid at a lower rate than than any hours before that. Only the last 9 over 60 are paid at a slightly higher rate.
Figures from my payslip
30 hours contracted (full time rate is £432.92)
30-40 hours £11.49ph
40-60 hours £11.10ph
Over 60 hours £11.75ph
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Celgar »

Once upon a time overtime was paid at time & a half but those days are long gone. I could not tell you when it changed but it did at some point. So as the poster above pointed out we actually get less per hour for overtime than for standard duty hours. We didn't see it happen and the union did nothing about it so we are where we are now. No wonder RM employs so many posties on part time contracts and makes up the remainder to full time in overtime pay.

Remember when we used to get two & a half times pay for working on Good Friday.......... :shhhhh
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Working My Holiday

Post by Ozzvaldo »

we've had disputes in my office about this. Specifically, when somebody was unable to pick a particular holiday week in the middle of Summer (due to the leave allocation being full when it was their turn to choose) only to find that one of the people who had been allocated that particular week ended up working the whole week anyway.
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Biker Mouse »

Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Seymour Buts »

Biker Mouse wrote:Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!
Maybe nobody wanted next week so he's doing somebosy a favour by taking it as somebody would have to have it? If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by aiden01 »

postietom wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!
Maybe nobody wanted next week so he's doing somebosy a favour by taking it as somebody would have to have it? If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
Because they are supposed to be on annual leave.and you are not allowed to work while on leave. :d'oh!
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Biker Mouse »

postietom wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!
Maybe nobody wanted next week so he's doing somebosy a favour by taking it as somebody would have to have it? If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
Opinions, Tom, opinions. And my opinion is that he is selfish and should not be working and on holiday.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Working My Holiday

Post by clashcityrocker »

postietom wrote: If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
We have a national agreement that says you cannot work while on annual leave. (TWF)
Are the agreements only there when we agree with them?
Can the DOM make up his own national agreements as and when he feels like it?

EG:
I know you shouldn't be conducted for using the over running delivery procedure but I make up my own agreements.
I know you shouldn't be issued a stage warning for an accident on delivery but I make up my own rules.

Everyone will be happy with that then?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
markfisher3
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 09:46
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by markfisher3 »

Biker Mouse wrote:
postietom wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!
Maybe nobody wanted next week so he's doing somebosy a favour by taking it as somebody would have to have it? If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
Opinions, Tom, opinions. And my opinion is that he is selfish and should not be working and on holiday.
Hiya I am actually doing them a massive favour as they also gave my working partner, and our regular cover the same week off together. I was given the holiday at random as I had no preference as to what I had off.

I was unaware that this couldn't be done until it was mentioned within this thread. I just went off the word of my manager as an incentive for coming in. I guarantee that first thing tomorrow I will be clarifying how I stand with my manager and if it turns out it can't be dome I will be getting back in my car and coming home. However, if there is a workaround, and I get a 700 pound wage for doing my normal hours, then my apologies if that makes me selfish but i'll be doing it gladly.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Seymour Buts »

clashcityrocker wrote:
postietom wrote: If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
We have a national agreement that says you cannot work while on annual leave. (TWF)
Are the agreements only there when we agree with them?
Can the DOM make up his own national agreements as and when he feels like it?

EG:
I know you shouldn't be conducted for using the over running delivery procedure but I make up my own agreements.
I know you shouldn't be issued a stage warning for an accident on delivery but I make up my own rules.

Everyone will be happy with that then?
The agreement is there to protect us, if you want to opt out what's the issue? Somebody had a go at me for working my rest day at our do, for years they fought for a 5 day week, now I've signed to do 6 anyway. I've chosen to do that, they can't force me do it; that's the difference. If you want your leave take it, absolutely no issue, but I've literally been given leave that I didn't want before so I worked it as my other half was working anyway so the leave was pointless. Might aswell make some money out of it.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

If I ever got that desperate id sell some of my shares first
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Working My Holiday

Post by clashcityrocker »

postietom wrote: The agreement is there to protect us, if you want to opt out what's the issue?
Is that a serious question?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by worktotime »

you shouldn't be getting paid for working your leave , you should get the days back as leave , and if he does give you o/t it will send a red flag up at hr wages :no no ,
Wornoutpostie
Posts: 100
Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
Gender: Male

Working My Holiday

Post by Wornoutpostie »

markfisher3 wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:
postietom wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Selfish! Someone else may have wanted that holiday slot and you had it and now it’s gone to waste.
It’s against all agreements that you cannot work and be on holiday at the same time.
I only hope you don’t get paid double for doing it!


Maybe nobody wanted next week so he's doing somebosy a favour by taking it as somebody would have to have it? If somebody wants to do a few days on overtime why is that an issue? It's crap like this that does my head in.
Opinions, Tom, opinions. And my opinion is that he is selfish and should not be working and on holiday.
Hiya I am actually doing them a massive favour as they also gave my working partner, and our regular cover the same week off together. I was given the holiday at random as I had no preference as to what I had off.

I was unaware that this couldn't be done until it was mentioned within this thread. I just went off the word of my manager as an incentive for coming in. I guarantee that first thing tomorrow I will be clarifying how I stand with my manager and if it turns out it can't be dome I will be getting back in my car and coming home. However, if there is a workaround, and I get a 700 pound wage for doing my normal hours, then my apologies if that makes me selfish but i'll be doing it gladly.
Can clearly tell you now, it's against the National agreement....

You can't come in to work whilst on annual leave.

It amazes me how people like national agreements "when it suits"

Do you also:

Come in early ?
Not take a break ?
Not use the equipment provided?

Or does that not suit you???