ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get faster

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

How to get faster

Post by NewPostieUK »

Wakewaterblue wrote: However I can't imagine getting my frame done any faster when they don't give me that extra hour soon.
I don't understand this. What extra hour? Are you going in an hour early? If so, then don't worry. When you don't go in an hour early, someone else will be doing that hours work. You will, or should, have your duty prepped by a full timer. It'll take you an hour to do redirections, sort packets, bundle up pack trolley and leave.

If this doesn't happen, get hold of the manager, or rep and tell him you need to know who is meant to prep your duty and why it isn't ready.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by postmanzach »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Wakewaterblue wrote: I take the parcels down from the top of the frame and then add the cards in the address slots and then put it back up the top for when I get them down again to pack into my HCT

This seems inefficient as I’m taking them down twice and I’m spending so much time fiddling about as there are so many parcels going back up.
Who puts the parcels on the shelf?

Get a parcel out of the york, look at it, turn the corresponding letter round (and/or put a 'P' on it or slip a card into the slot), put the parcel on the shelf. Don't touch it again until loading the trolley.
Some offices have a system where they put parcels on top of the frame. We don’t in our office, just squeeze them in the frame and big ones go straight from York to van.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by walkthewalk »

As soon as I read “How to get faster” I thought that every manager who views this forum would be licking their lips hoping to pick up tips so that they can get more sweat & blood from the front line staff the posties so I hope they have now crawled back into their office with another coffee :cuppa
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Some good advice on here. I always number my bundles and load the trolley backwards like someone else has suggested so my last bundle is last.

I put my packets at the back of every bundle. I also put a docket in the bundle to remind me that I have a packet for that address. If your packets are with your bundle you can't go wrong. It might take me a bit longer to get out of the office but once I'm out it goes like clockwork.

Speed will come with time. I much prefer a HCT duty to a van share. You can go at your own pace!

Good luck.
Wakewaterblue
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Wakewaterblue »

So I had a good Saturday shift. I was first back to the DO and I had a reasonable load that was manageable and I took time to be super organised and it paid off. The manager couldn’t believe it nor could the others when they came in 20-30 mins later.

I had no idea what I did but I was just completely focused but ended up sorting D2D for 30 mins or so as I couldn’t leave that early!

My frame is all prepped in the morning but they allow me to come in at 0800 to get it sorted as opposed to 0900. So I do the redirections, bundling, special deliveries etc.

The parcels are all at the top but to whoever sorts it for me has already given large ones to the driver or any excessive amount. I do get a lot and a lot of them are big which causes issues for my HCT but it’s obviously made better before I come in.

It’s taking me from 0800 to sort my frame and I leave about the same time as the full timers around 0930/1000/1015.. So when I do come in at 0900 in the future when they have eased me in, I need to be much faster.

I’m definitely trying not to care as much about finish time and just do the job right.

Thanks for the tips too. I number the bundles and also arrange them with end of round at the bottom back and start at front top. Dockets in bundles where I have parcels.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Wakewaterblue wrote:So I had a good Saturday shift. I was first back to the DO and I had a reasonable load that was manageable and I took time to be super organised and it paid off. The manager couldn’t believe it nor could the others when they came in 20-30 mins later.

I had no idea what I did but I was just completely focused but ended up sorting D2D for 30 mins or so as I couldn’t leave that early!

My frame is all prepped in the morning but they allow me to come in at 0800 to get it sorted as opposed to 0900. So I do the redirections, bundling, special deliveries etc.

The parcels are all at the top but to whoever sorts it for me has already given large ones to the driver or any excessive amount. I do get a lot and a lot of them are big which causes issues for my HCT but it’s obviously made better before I come in.

It’s taking me from 0800 to sort my frame and I leave about the same time as the full timers around 0930/1000/1015.. So when I do come in at 0900 in the future when they have eased me in, I need to be much faster.

I’m definitely trying not to care as much about finish time and just do the job right.

Thanks for the tips too. I number the bundles and also arrange them with end of round at the bottom back and start at front top. Dockets in bundles where I have parcels.
Glad to hear you had a better shift on Saturday. Yes definitely give anything bulky or oversized to whoever is doing the parcels on that duty!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by rambo1 »

postmanzach wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
postmanzach wrote: And not using a trolley helps a lot.
No it doesn't.
This is singularly the worst piece of advice I have ever seen on this forum.
The trolleys were introduced for a reason. A bloody good reason - to take the weight off the postman/woman.
Off the back, the shoulder. the hips. the knees and the feet.

The reason most posties end up with foot problems is not simply because they walk a lot, it is because that weight they are carrying is ultimately supported by the arch of your foot and little by little it puts an excessive strain on the foot and you get problems. Heel spurs/plantar/fallen arches etc etc.
Not using a trolley is a recipe for (more) long term health problems.
FairPlay each to their own. I personally have had no back or feet troubles in 12 years as a postie. I carry bags every day. I found the trolleys extremely heavy to push up hills. I believe the problems with backs in down to lack of core strength, little bit of training outside of work and the physical side of the job is easy.
Surely you would have had bikes 12 yrs ago, no? Or an hct? Wait till you've been carrying 10-15kg on your shoulder for 4-5hrs a day, for another 10 yrs. How will your back be then? One thing if you do develop problems it'll probably be too late by then. You only get one life, one back, look after it.
Wakewaterblue
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Wakewaterblue »

So today I didn't have a good shift. I was so overloaded with parcels. My frame was mostly prepared with a few more parcels that came my way. The person who prepped my frame had clearly sent some parcels off to the driver as I had so many and some were big.

I was almost prepped and about to load the trolley and the driver came back and dumped a load of parcels back on my frame and walked off! I didn't know what to say. I felt like it was madness given how many I had already and I was worried I wouldn't get it in my HCT. I have a feeling the driver knows I am new and is taking advantage. First time he has done that though.

Funnily enough I couldn't fit everything in!

So I filled up a shoulder bag I found. Then another! I know today is the heaviest day of the week but I didn't know where to put stuff and it isn't even Xmas yet!

Is this normal? No one else seemed to have filled any bags and they couldn't believe I had.

I go out on my round and I can't find a certain bundle. It was so tightly packed in the HCT I couldn't remove everything and the order of it all to find it. I found it at the end of my round and there was no way I was going to go back and do it. It was only about 10 houses worth so i put it back in my frame for tomorrow. No specials or signed for in it. Is this what I am meant to do?

I was almost last back bar a few others and others were already out on their overtime round!

I just felt deflated and the managers have all of a sudden just ignored me. They don't check I'm ok anymore. They seem nice enough though and answer questions if i have them.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

How to get faster

Post by clashcityrocker »

If your HCT cannot contain your duty you prepare drop bags.
You then arrange for the driver to drop them to you at a designated place at a designated time.

Or if you are close enough you return to the DO to refill.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Celgar »

Wakewaterblue wrote:So today I didn't have a good shift. I was so overloaded with parcels. My frame was mostly prepared with a few more parcels that came my way. The person who prepped my frame had clearly sent some parcels off to the driver as I had so many and some were big.

I was almost prepped and about to load the trolley and the driver came back and dumped a load of parcels back on my frame and walked off! I didn't know what to say. I felt like it was madness given how many I had already and I was worried I wouldn't get it in my HCT. I have a feeling the driver knows I am new and is taking advantage. First time he has done that though.

Funnily enough I couldn't fit everything in!

So I filled up a shoulder bag I found. Then another! I know today is the heaviest day of the week but I didn't know where to put stuff and it isn't even Xmas yet!

Is this normal? No one else seemed to have filled any bags and they couldn't believe I had.

I go out on my round and I can't find a certain bundle. It was so tightly packed in the HCT I couldn't remove everything and the order of it all to find it. I found it at the end of my round and there was no way I was going to go back and do it. It was only about 10 houses worth so i put it back in my frame for tomorrow. No specials or signed for in it. Is this what I am meant to do?

I was almost last back bar a few others and others were already out on their overtime round!

I just felt deflated and the managers have all of a sudden just ignored me. They don't check I'm ok anymore. They seem nice enough though and answer questions if i have them.
I thought the drop bag system had been stopped years ago. It does sound like the driver who is meant to do your overweight parcels was having an off day or was just taking the ****. In future if it happens again just carry the parcels back to the drivers frame/work area. You can only fit so much in an HCT so if they want you to carry more you should be given a van to use.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Smith1212 »

There’s no need to get faster ! Surely never be late and work to your time any other job you would work your hours and go home.i have to pick my kids up from school i ring my manager at 12ish and explain I’m working to my time.
Wakewaterblue
Posts: 56
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
Gender: Female

How to get faster

Post by Wakewaterblue »

Yes that is fair enough. A guy told me just as I was preparing to head out, only work to my time. However I don't mind going over as I have nothing to rush home for. If I run over then I get paid for it? Everyone seems in such a rush however if you run over, then you get paid so I don't see this as a problem.

I guess everyone has different things they need to get off for.

I am going to speak to a manager tomorrow morning about why I am filling up so many bags and hanging them off the HCT when the driver is walking around having a cup of tea in the DO and I'm having a meltdown! Although if this is it now, what will Christmas be like yikes!

If you do need to cut off and you haven't finished your round, do you just head back and put everything back in the frame or does someone else do it?
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

How to get faster

Post by Smith1212 »

Depends what the manager says if there’s someone to cover it they will say if not put back in frame and start with that mail 1st thing next day,I’ve always worked to my hours but that’s because I have to get my kids from school,doesn’t stop management from still pressuring me tho but hey the procedure is there and I stick to it.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

How to get faster

Post by NewPostieUK »

clashcityrocker wrote: You then arrange for the driver to drop them to you at a designated place at a designated time
.
Don't know about your office, but dropping off bags went out when most offices had the revision. In fact all drop boxes seem to have been removed.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

How to get faster

Post by NewPostieUK »

Wakewaterblue wrote: dumped a load of parcels back on my frame and walked off!
I would have just ignored them. Maybe he was just leaving them there while he had his coffee, to be sorted and loaded in his van later? Not your problem, not for you to question the strange antics of colleagues.

I might have mentioned the state of the frame to the manager on my way out.