ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Delivery trials have ended!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by clashcityrocker »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:In exactly the same way you don't need to memorise every potential dog threat, every parcel. every SD.
...and when you inevitably forget one and the DOM tries to do you for wilful delay?
I don't understand what you are on about.
You mark things to remind you. Dog hazards, D2D opt out, SD etc.You don't need to remember anything.
Why am I now being taken down the conduct code for unexcused delay?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by daveyeff »

greengiant wrote:
woody38 wrote:Reading the cwu article one thing that did sound good was the door to door coming straight from wherever it comes from straight to your job, not like what we have at present where it all comes in York’s with other door to door then somebody has to sort it into areas, then on Saturday somebody else has to take in round to the actual jobs. Even the article says this was a good idea.

Perhaps that will be the outcome of the trials, collated D2D for every walk?
the outcome of the trials will be, where we have a prep frame for sorting the mail (sequenced and manual) and D2Ds. and we can mark up our letters for addresses that have packets for them, and easily do our redirections and kill offs.....its a cracking good idea!! :Very Happy
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

clashcityrocker wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:In exactly the same way you don't need to memorise every potential dog threat, every parcel. every SD.
...and when you inevitably forget one and the DOM tries to do you for wilful delay?
I don't understand what you are on about.
You mark things to remind you. Dog hazards, D2D opt out, SD etc.You don't need to remember anything.
Why am I now being taken down the conduct code for unexcused delay?
Had RM gone through with what was being trialled
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

number one wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Will the trails failing will it mean we wont get another hour reduction next year.
I thought you knew everything. I suggest you go and read the four pillars agreement
Another pointless post by Number One
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by world class male »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote: And some Bright Spark wants me to carry another bundle of households to slip in as I'm going along! FFS :arrrghhh
Once again this obsession with another bundle. Why would you have another bundle?
Think of it like this:
Under the present system
On Monday you deliver to Acacia Avenue and you tie up 2 - 50 in one bundle and 51 -1 in another.
On Tuesday you have the D2D for that section so you tie up 2 - 26, 28 -50, 51 - 33 and 31 - 1, with the D2D prepped in for each house.
(Unless you have my erstwhile park and loop partner who would insist on tying it up exactly as he had the day before ensuring I had 2 bundles, each one the size of a small multi storey car park)

Under the new system
On Tuesday you tie up exactly the same 4 bundles but instead of the D2D being prepped in for each house, they are all together at the back of the bundle.
There aren't any more bundles. There aren't any bigger bundles. The D2D are simply in a different location. Revolutionary I know.

Here is another thing I have learnt.
Sometimes if I am at a door and the bundle is a bit wobbly and I am struggling with the mail the packets the PDA and trying to get my pen out, guess what I do? I put the bundle down (I really like houses with bay windows and window sills) and bugger me I now have 2 free hands to deal with everything I need to do.
Revolutionary I know but sometimes you just need to think outside the box.
you seem obsessed that it will work, and the only one to think it would, what's missing from the quotes is the other small bundle of mail in a bag as you said it's kept there, now if you have 75% terraced houses it will be a complete nightmare dipping into bag every 15 seconds, a 50 house terrace street that used to take 10mins with an extra 30 seconds indoor prep now takes 15mins, great efficiency saving.
the trials have failed, end of
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by number one »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
number one wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Will the trails failing will it mean we wont get another hour reduction next year.
I thought you knew everything. I suggest you go and read the four pillars agreement
Another pointless post by Number One
Can’t be bothered reading the agreement then
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by postslippete »

I think Royal Mails plans will just lead to more problems if I'm honest. I don't wish to be a naysayer or anything but this multiple bundles and bench merging thing sounds to me as if Royal Mail are just making a very simple job, very complicated in the vain hope that it will give us more time outdoors in order to make our duty spans bigger. Isn't that their objective otherwise whats the point? If you are constantly faffing about trying to mix this other small bundle of mail with the main bundles, then its going to take longer. And I can honestly see most postie thinking "I'll just leave those in van as I'm not going to remember" and in doing so guess what? Quality of service goes down.

What needs to happen to really make the SWW work is for all the mail (that is small, large letters and even catalogues) to come into the delivery office all in trays in one wave and all in the walk sort order. Not have it like it is now with buddy trays, wave 2 mech and letters to be sorted by hand etc etc. But it comes in like it is now because it is obviously not possible to get it all in order, so what is the point of trying to do it any other way?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

postslippete wrote:I think Royal Mails plans will just lead to more problems if I'm honest. I don't wish to be a naysayer or anything but this multiple bundles and bench merging thing sounds to me as if Royal Mail are just making a very simple job, very complicated in the vain hope that it will give us more time outdoors in order to make our duty spans bigger. Isn't that their objective otherwise whats the point? If you are constantly faffing about trying to mix this other small bundle of mail with the main bundles, then its going to take longer. And I can honestly see most postie thinking "I'll just leave those in van as I'm not going to remember" and in doing so guess what? Quality of service goes down.

What needs to happen to really make the SWW work is for all the mail (that is small, large letters and even catalogues) to come into the delivery office all in trays in one wave and all in the walk sort order. Not have it like it is now with buddy trays, wave 2 mech and letters to be sorted by hand etc etc.
For that to happen, many DO staff would be delivering mail into the evening due to the time it would take to sequence the mail, when we'd have to start sequencing it and on a busy day you'd still end up with two lots of mail as there'd be too much mail to run through a CSS in one go
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by postslippete »

I get what you are saying Space, but I thought RM's big plan was to install loads more of these CSS machines and manpower to run them!! Now I know that large flats are not being sequenced yet and nor are catalogues, but if they found a way or additional machines and staff that could do this, would it then not be possible to get this sequenced mail in one batch a bit later in the morning?? :hmmmm Its the only way I think a realistic SWW and less indoor time could work. There is still the issue of sorting through and marking the packets and these would need to arrive into delivery offices on the early vans.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Celgar »

greengiant wrote:
woody38 wrote:Reading the cwu article one thing that did sound good was the door to door coming straight from wherever it comes from straight to your job, not like what we have at present where it all comes in York’s with other door to door then somebody has to sort it into areas, then on Saturday somebody else has to take in round to the actual jobs. Even the article says this was a good idea.

Perhaps that will be the outcome of the trials, collated D2D for every walk?
Thinking about it collated D2Ds is probably the only remaining time/cost saving that could be made. Depending on if your walk has six D2Ds most of the time this could help to enable the remaining 36 minutes of SWW. Although to my mind the first 24 minutes of SWW have not yet been covered with time savings hence yet more work being done unpaid.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Celgar »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Under the new system
On Tuesday you tie up exactly the same 4 bundles but instead of the D2D being prepped in for each house, they are all together at the back of the bundle.
There aren't any more bundles. There aren't any bigger bundles. The D2D are simply in a different location. Revolutionary I know.
Do you know exactly which addresses from memory on your walk have opted out of d2d? If you don't you could end up wth customers complaining, enough complaints and the DOM might get rid of you, a few hours then easily saved out of their budget
Every walk gets a D2D sheet each week to sign and fill in to state all the leaflets have been delivered that week. At the bottom of that sheet the D2D opt outs will be listed. A small sticker should be affixed to the walk sorting frame for any addresses where an opt out is currently in place. The general public mostly have no knowledge of being able to opt out so most walks have very few in place.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Celgar »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mr Rush wrote: Will time be built in for the spare guy covering the walk to memorise the frame?
You don't need to memorise the frame.
In exactly the same way you don't need to memorise every potential dog threat, every parcel. every SD.
In fact you don't need to memorise anything.
I'm a f***ing postman not a card counter.
It's a good thing if not essential to know where the dogs that will definitely bite you reside. In fact RM will turn on you after a dog incident if they think you have not taken due care, used the posting peg etc. There will likely be very few or no bad dogs on a walk but you should acquire that knowledge.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by Celgar »

postslippete wrote:I get what you are saying Space, but I thought RM's big plan was to install loads more of these CSS machines and manpower to run them!! Now I know that large flats are not being sequenced yet and nor are catalogues, but if they found a way or additional machines and staff that could do this, would it then not be possible to get this sequenced mail in one batch a bit later in the morning?? :hmmmm Its the only way I think a realistic SWW and less indoor time could work. There is still the issue of sorting through and marking the packets and these would need to arrive into delivery offices on the early vans.
The SWW was never guaranteed to happen partially or in its entirety and was always based on certain other conditions being met.
Some MCs are sorting flats down to individual walk level. I'm not sure if they are sequenced or in no particular order. The MC that services our DO is sorting/sequencing flats for some of the postcodes it covers but not ours yet although I have been told we eventually will be covered.
The delivery methods trials have been stopped short of their full term, were unsuccessful, and failed. This was due to 65% instead of 85% sequenced mail being delivered to some or all trial sites. There were other problems including overnight roadworks on motorways and difficulty in merging due to the small China Post packets we are continually plagued with. Check out the recent post from Dingo for the full details.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by clashcityrocker »

Celgar wrote: There will likely be very few or no bad dogs on a walk but you should acquire that knowledge.
How exactly do you acquire that knowledge if you have never done the duty before or perhaps never been in that part of town before?
I'll tell you.
You have dog warning stickers and dog warning cards. You then turn a letter and mark it "D" at the appropriate address or insert the dog warning card as a reminder to be extra vigilant at that address.
That is exactly the same way you ensure you don't miss D2D opt outs (except you don't mark the letter "D")
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
thecompletepackage
Posts: 79
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

New Delivery trials have ended!

Post by thecompletepackage »

I would've like to have seen how they collate 8 sets of d2d's that have the Xmas coasters or the remembrance day crosses in, plus all the other weird shaped and bulky ones we get!