ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Winter of Discontent?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Winter of Discontent?

Post by Brandy »

Oh I am so glad that I am out of all this s**t!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by robbertwhitton »

crimson king wrote:
postmen suspended really?that can’t be right or happening in cutting off and working your hours?it can’t be right
Sadly it is. Suspended from delivery...made to sit in DO all day doing kill offs and boring s**t designed to make an example of you from what I see. It's like being at school, the naughty kid in the corner.

Past two weeks I've been threatened with being taken down the performance route etc. Few things going to on and I've got my grievance form from rep already, but keeping my powder dry for the time being. Our DOM really doesn't like posties following the cutting off procedure and working to time.

This winter is going to be interesting at our place I think, which is why I was wondering how it is in other DO's.
Jesus Murphy!,I cant believe it,but your posts are bang on,up with It would not put,but it’s easy to get dragged in to the drudgery of it all and how things used to be,I fear a tipping point or pinch point as our leader says whenever we can’t agree or he can’t get his own way is coming over the hill not too soon,and our old boss who was lovely would always say in his Austrian voice keep smiling at all times!,and his reply from emails from top brass was “we won’t be doing zat”!!
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by hothothot »

Used to be a good job now it's shite .
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by P13 »

Hawkey99 wrote:Saw the first post. Has the meal breaks changed ??
No
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by rambo1 »

postslippete wrote:The SWW = more pressure on full timers to get the job done.

Its OK people saying just use the cutting off procedure, work to time blah blah but some people do take a lot of pride in their work and being unable to finish in their times destroys their morale. Then throw a manager into the mix who's now not really supposed to do any delivery work even though they are judged on walks completing, overtime and customer complaints and it can be a recipe for disaster. If these managers are lucky they might have one or two posties on easy duties with their nose in their trough for any extra overtime that needs mopping up.

Anyway, you're dead right about part-timers and they still get used and abused by Royal Mail. The SWW means that many of them have now been called in to do regular overtime prepping duties. The CWU should really should be pushing for them to get increased contractual hours. Never mind a 6 monthly review - they need a much shorter review period. They need to assess who is doing the overtime and why and ascertain scope for increasing contractual hours where necessary.
The sww for part timers means they are getting paid more than you! Do you see the benfit of a sww when you're on annual leave, or sick? No. Does the part timer get their pay rise in lieu of the sww in the same situation? Yes. It's not all bad for part timers. Yes, it's wrong that they use someone on 30 hr contracts to cover a full time duty, but it's not like they're doing it for free. There's many full time doing 6, 7, 8 hrs overtime a week to complete their impossible to do walks, but they don't get a 45 hr contract do they?.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by postmanzach »

From my perspective it’s all good, better than ever actually. Our office moral is fairly good but the whinges really have no idea how good we have it as they have never worked from another office. Recently started doing the LATS, raking in tons of extra easy overtime. I work in probably the least ‘ efficient’ area of the U.K so I’m driving 20-30mins for each parcel in a really beautiful part of the country.
There’s some complaints in our office from the INF (it’s not fair club) about people getting done earlier. But the people getting done early aren’t then clearing up extra overtime they are just going home, and when others do their rounds they can’t do it in the fast times so I’m saying leave it, mind your business sort of thing.
We got a small office only about 25 posties it’s pretty sweet. Full timers have longer days with rurals finishing at 1545 but get longer weekends every 4 weeks (Friday Saturday Monday Tuesday off) and a pretty fair manager.
Im on a part time round, 32.2 hours a week which is about 8-3 a day which I love as get to spend breakfast time with my kids and home at fairly decent time, and allows me to do LATS as overtime. Last week worked 5 days few nights LATs didn’t feel like been working too hard and got just over 20 hours overtime.
I don’t want to sound to smug but I have been a postie for over 12 years and been through so many years of s**t. I use to really struggle when I started with the 0500 starts and cycling and heavy bags. It’s so different now!
I get it’s hard for a lot of people, I’d say I’m lucky but I made the choice to transfer offices a couple of times and it paid off. After first transfer I dropped from full time to part time and really felt the pain of being part time, won’t go into it all but guess most knows how it is, even had a manger paying me less if I did a full time duty and finished it early. Would get moved around a lot, worked out of 12 offices, and so now I’m probably jinxing it but it’s happy days! Again sorry for sounded smug but I personally enjoy the job now, yeah all the scanning 2d s**t f’s me off and that but it’s too bad.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Winter of Discontent?

Post by Brandy »

postmanzach wrote:From my perspective it’s all good, better than ever actually. Our office moral is fairly good but the whinges really have no idea how good we have it as they have never worked from another office. Recently started doing the LATS, raking in tons of extra easy overtime. I work in probably the least ‘ efficient’ area of the U.K so I’m driving 20-30mins for each parcel in a really beautiful part of the country.
There’s some complaints in our office from the INF (it’s not fair club) about people getting done earlier. But the people getting done early aren’t then clearing up extra overtime they are just going home, and when others do their rounds they can’t do it in the fast times so I’m saying leave it, mind your business sort of thing.
We got a small office only about 25 posties it’s pretty sweet. Full timers have longer days with rurals finishing at 1545 but get longer weekends every 4 weeks (Friday Saturday Monday Tuesday off) and a pretty fair manager.
Im on a part time round, 32.2 hours a week which is about 8-3 a day which I love as get to spend breakfast time with my kids and home at fairly decent time, and allows me to do LATS as overtime. Last week worked 5 days few nights LATs didn’t feel like been working too hard and got just over 20 hours overtime.
I don’t want to sound to smug but I have been a postie for over 12 years and been through so many years of s**t. I use to really struggle when I started with the 0500 starts and cycling and heavy bags. It’s so different now!
I get it’s hard for a lot of people, I’d say I’m lucky but I made the choice to transfer offices a couple of times and it paid off. After first transfer I dropped from full time to part time and really felt the pain of being part time, won’t go into it all but guess most knows how it is, even had a manger paying me less if I did a full time duty and finished it early. Would get moved around a lot, worked out of 12 offices, and so now I’m probably jinxing it but it’s happy days! Again sorry for sounded smug but I personally enjoy the job now, yeah all the scanning 2d s**t f’s me off and that but it’s too bad.
A lot of posties will be wanting a transfer to your office!
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Winter of Discontent?

Post by postslippete »

I foresee a shambles. We had a revision and it played out as I expected it to. The senior posties all cherry picked the best duties the ones like single van duties, so they don't have to prep anybody else's frame nor have to work with any muppets, and even if they do prep someone else's frame, they don't do it all anyway. Those who have to work with a part-time partner are often left to prep 2 duties and with the SWW, its just made things more difficult. Its actually made cutting off more doable for those who don't want the overtime (like me) even though the managers seem to think the opposite is true based on figures which make no discernible meaning. The CWU should really be looking at increasing a load of part-timers contracts seeing as many of them are now being brought in earlier to prep duties. Maybe in the next 6 months or even 6 years if Royal Mail has its own way when there may be a revision.

PDA actuals only used for those who work to time and leave work it seems; not used for those 'runners' because they are often out there doing overtime for the managers. And the only reason they have got scope to do overtime is because they have either picked/put on decent duties and can finish their duties plus the overtime within their hours.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.