ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trying to leave within my first month.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peterg
Posts: 16
Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 15:07

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by peterg »

I know that the job has gone to sh!t over the last few years but are you sure you wanna give up?

I very very nearly chucked the lot in the air and went home on my first busy day by myself.

Came back 90 minutes late cursing at the job but it all falls into place after a few weeks.

Been with this lot 20 years now and happy......well, most days :-)
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Jpro747 »

postietom wrote:Overpaid? Linos make less than I do with the overtime I do. Useless many may be, but overpaid they aint!
For what they do they don’t deserve squat. They can’t manage s**t.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Creditshampoo »

Jpro747 wrote:
postietom wrote:Overpaid? Linos make less than I do with the overtime I do. Useless many may be, but overpaid they aint!
For what they do they don’t deserve squat. They can’t manage s**t.
So do nurses. Your choice to do overtime
Dryfox
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jul 2018, 12:25
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Dryfox »

peterg wrote:I know that the job has gone to sh!t over the last few years but are you sure you wanna give up?

I very very nearly chucked the lot in the air and went home on my first busy day by myself.

Came back 90 minutes late cursing at the job but it all falls into place after a few weeks.

Been with this lot 20 years now and happy......well, most days :-)
But would you be happy as a new starter now?
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Phantom »

Don't quit, come in on your time and finish on your time. Have the arguments and keep having them, it's part of the royal mail working day.

Overtime is killing the job and if everyone stopped doing then we would be in a much better place, but staff won't so we're f****d!

So keep arguing day in and day out until it becomes second nature, managers will get fed up with it trust me. Keep cutting off!
CUT OFF!!!
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by rubberbond »

Despite what some are saying here I am sure they don't want you to leave , no company should want their employees to leave under a cloud , can't you go in and negotiate with them, stating that you are thinking of leaving and that certain issues are pushing you towards the exit, after al you've come this far ,application , interview etc. See how you get on.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Dryfox
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jul 2018, 12:25
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Dryfox »

97gaz wrote:
Dryfox wrote:
And when exactly is this? New employees can remain on the reserve list for years - getting messed about with their days off, sent to other offices, working every Saturday and being last in line for overtime and holidays.

The general answer from managers and seniors is 'we've all been through it' but, THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

It's a completely unfair way of working which ruins what would otherwise be quite a pleasant job.
A few things here.
We have all been through it! I don't know if it's a glass half full/ half empty thing but new starters seem to want it all as soon as they step through the door. One of our new starters walked out last week after about three months because we wouldn't make him full time!! So now he's on the dole with no job at all. He's not going to be a big miss anyway because all he did was whine.

I've been here over twenty years and we didn't get messed about with our days off then. Everyone got Sunday off out of their 42 hour week.

I started on an 18 hour contract and saw extra hours as a bonus as did all the other people who started the same time as me. I never saw the complaints from the new staff then that I see from the new starts on here. I was trained on 25 duties out of 45 and could be put on any duty any day. I probably have the office record of doing 10 different duties in a fortnight. I also went to other offices and TBH quite enjoyed it. Different day,different people etc. I never heard anyone moan about being paid contract hours on leave either. It was seven years before I was made full time reserve and about 10 before I got a crappy float.

You're saying this doesn't make it right but it is what it is. This is the job when you start RM


However, when we did go to a five day week we did at least get the day off on the duty we were doing and that was Saturday occasionally. Overtime and Annual leave were also back then based on Seniority but they shouldn't be now. If your office is using Seniority for leave and overtime then you should complain.
I think people just want to be treated fairly when they walk through the door (in any workplace) but this does not happen at Royal Mail.

If the job was advertised properly then at least new starters would understand what they are coming into, although I suspect the company would get a lot less applicants if it was done this way.

As for complaining. To whom? I have a manager who doesn't care and a Union Rep who's one of the seniors who enforces all these unequal rules.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Navalron »

postietom wrote:Overpaid? Linos make less than I do with the overtime I do. Useless many may be, but overpaid they aint!

Links START on £29,811 per year with 10% bonus = £2,981. So at just under £33 grand per year and you at say about £25,000 for full time postie, you have £8 grand in overtime to make up. Also he/she doesn't slot the streets in Woolworths of snow, rain, wind or lapse. :whistle
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by itinerant »

Dryfox wrote: If the job was advertised properly then at least new starters would understand what they are coming into, although I suspect the company would get a lot less applicants if it was done this way.
This is the problem. Jobs are advertised with specific start and finish times so people understandably think those are the hours they will work. Not everyone wants as many hours as possible and some people are just looking to work part time and the hours advertised match their availability (family commitments/downshifting hours after another career etc). It is wrong that RM do this and there must be a lot of wasted time/money in the process of recruiting staff who leave because they were mis-sold the job.

I had the same experience when I started last year and was put on a duty longer than my contracted hours without anyone even asking if I was ok about it. it was a bit of an eye opener as was the lack of training I got in the DO compared to what the shiny happy chap at the Induction course told me would be given :roll:

The reality is that you have to fight your corner or they will happily crap on you but when you first start you dont want to upset anyone as you're the newbie. I left it a couple of months to make sure I was otherwise happy with the job and then sorted it out with the DOM without too much trouble.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Postie45 »

at worst id stay stick with it and insist on working your contracted hours only, im not sure what exactly the worst that can happen is ? Gotta be better than quitting, at least you can show you have backbone and they may relent and accommodate your wishes when they see you wont be messed about.
Dryfox
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jul 2018, 12:25
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Dryfox »

Dryfox wrote:I think people just want to be treated fairly when they walk through the door (in any workplace) but this does not happen at Royal Mail.
97gaz wrote:I'm sorry but I think they are. Our reserves are treated exactly the same as all reserves ever were. The new starters are doing exactly what I was doing twenty years ago.
Still missing the point. This outdated way of working should have been abolished under the Equality Act of 2010.
Dryfox wrote:If the job was advertised properly then at least new starters would understand what they are coming into, although I suspect the company would get a lot less applicants if it was done this way.
97gaz wrote:Not sure where we're going with this. I applied for the position of Postman with driving and that's pretty much what I do on a daily basis. I drive a van and post mail.
You're confusing the actual work with the way the job is advertised. The job description does not mention you start as a reserve - rarely getting a Saturday off, getting sent to other offices, not knowing your days off until the last minute, being last in line for holidays and overtime etc. And all of this for an indefinite amount of time.
97gaz wrote:I hope you stick with it.
Again, confusion here. I never started the thread 'Trying to leave within my first month' - I have just added to the discussion.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by fb1969 »

Why do so many new starters leave quickly?

Apart from being treated badly (it may not happen in every office, but it happens in a lot) try this: Our office is advertising a vacancy at the moment, and in three separate places it states the hours are 0830 to 1430. But on three days a week our office starts at 0800 - and new starters will be expected/pressured to start then. That half an hour makes a big difference to some people's availability, it could be a deal breaker for anyone with a commitment. Result = people get peed off and look elsewhere, or even find that they cannot do it. It has messed them about and wasted loads of everyone's time, all because RM can't be bothered to get the facts right.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Trying to leave within my first month.

Post by Chris413 »

Well I am in month 5 and I am already looking for other work. I was told 35 hour contract and that's the hours I wanted to work, but every week it's nearly 40 hours. New posties are more likely to be injured because there body is not used to the punishment yet you have to come in to have a chance of getting through the trial period putting further injury on top of the one you have already, and to hit you even lower if you have to go off you don't even get sick pay. Your pressured straight away to get up to the speed of posties that have been doing the job for years and even you do rush to get up to speed you them make mistakes only to find the DOM has a nice file on you with all your mistakes in, case of the DOM's wanting there cake and eating it. So again pressure on top of pressure so lets then build stress health on top of everything else. Then! We come to holidays to find out your 99% chance your not getting to get any of the dates you want because your at the bottom of the list, and if you have children that only have holiday during the school holidays you can just about kiss that goodbye as well. For a new starter with RM life is pretty crap these days and I for one feel like a second class citizen whilst I am working.
Last edited by Chris413 on 29 Oct 2018, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.