ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Loneliness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Celgar »

Seems to be somewhat impersonal in nature. Not sure I would be comfortable asking a bunch of scripted questions. I would guess it's mainly another revenue stream for RM to enable excessive dividends to be paid to shareholders.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by robbertwhitton »

A bit about it was on the Jeremy Vine show,had comments from posties as expected this is already being done,with little or no input from Royal Mail and management,they have no idea what we do,they must think we’re like androids with no emotion who just deliver mail,with no interaction with the public,because guess what ? it’s going to take longer,I’d hate to think Royal Mail being pro active in this and taking some credit,because we all know what’s really happening on a daily basis,lapsing mail coming back due to no time to complete,etc etc,I always look out for my customers why wouldn’t you?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Celgar »

robbertwhitton wrote:A bit about it was on the Jeremy Vine show,had comments from posties as expected this is already being done,with little or no input from Royal Mail and management,they have no idea what we do,they must think we’re like androids with no emotion who just deliver mail,with no interaction with the public,because guess what ? it’s going to take longer,I’d hate to think Royal Mail being pro active in this and taking some credit,because we all know what’s really happening on a daily basis,lapsing mail coming back due to no time to complete,etc etc,I always look out for my customers why wouldn’t you?
Yes I was listening to some of it in the van. Was the 1230 to 1300 slot of the Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio 2 on 15/10/2018 which can be listened to on the BBC iPlayer.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Startingover
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Startingover »

As has been commented, we are not social workers. How will we know if we have to refer someones concerns, when they are genuine and when they are not?

More than happy to continue saying hello and smiling etc, but if spending several minutes etc, I would not wish to be liable if I responded in an incorrect way, especially as we have not received any training!
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Loneliness

Post by Brandy »

robbertwhitton wrote:A bit about it was on the Jeremy Vine show,had comments from posties as expected this is already being done,with little or no input from Royal Mail and management,they have no idea what we do,they must think we’re like androids with no emotion who just deliver mail,with no interaction with the public,because guess what ? it’s going to take longer,I’d hate to think Royal Mail being pro active in this and taking some credit,because we all know what’s really happening on a daily basis,lapsing mail coming back due to no time to complete,etc etc,I always look out for my customers why wouldn’t you?
Exactly,just goes to show RM have no idea what its like to be a postie,yet they think they do :no no
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Jpro747 »

Wtll a few weeks ago our dom said we’re not to chat to anyone on delivery. :neutral:
max49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 20:58
Gender: Female

Loneliness

Post by max49 »

We heard about this today, one suggestion was to have a bar code on the person we were visiting so that we could scan them to prove we had visited. :crazy: . We can't complete now so goodness knows what it would be like with these visits.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Decky Boy »

The banter with the customers is one of the best bits of the job :thumbup In France there is a scheme where rural posties spend time with elderly folks and check that they are okay etc. The recipients' siblings pay La Poste for this service (and I bet it's a nice little earner :wink: )

There was a Post and a film on this Forum detailing this... and if I recall the nice French postie got a glass of red wine (and a rest) for looking in past :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

See this https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ly#p768048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hero22
Posts: 596
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by hero22 »

How do you trial this ? Do older people volunteer to be visited by a postie or do we just hunt down the ones who look lonely and invite ourselves in ?
I also think most of us are capable of showing a human side while working and spending a minute or two with somone who might need it, i really dislike the idea that Royal Mail feel they need to be our moral gaurdians considering most of management have none to begin with.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by Gangham_style14 »

They really don’t have a clue in regards to what we do. Everyday I speak to my customers, I’ve always said to newbie you will get the older generation stopping for a chat because sometimes as sad as it sounds. You are probably the only person they see that day!

Maybe it’s down to it being the 5th year the shareholders and assholes that penny pinch and run this company to the ground ... want to try and show a little gratitude for the millions upon millions they have made in the last 5 years. Tossers!
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by wacko74 »

It's being looked at purely as a commercial venture and another potential revenue stream, £6.75 being the charge for this service apparently.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by citypostie »

I won't be doing this. I'm paid to deliver mail and parcels. Setting yourself up for loads of hassle if something goes wrong. Social workers are paid more than us and study at uni to do the job, they should be doing this not us lot just because it's a cheaper option for the government. A forced morning or a fake laugh at yet another "I don't want it if it's a bill" comment is the most anyone on my round gets or ever will unless I know them from my real life outside of work
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by leolion855 »

citypostie wrote:I won't be doing this. I'm paid to deliver mail and parcels. Setting yourself up for loads of hassle if something goes wrong. Social workers are paid more than us and study at uni to do the job, they should be doing this not us lot just because it's a cheaper option for the government. A forced morning or a fake laugh at yet another "I don't want it if it's a bill" comment is the most anyone on my round gets or ever will unless I know them from my real life outside of work
:Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
i dont even see anyone outside of work because i dont like people.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Loneliness

Post by Brandy »

hero22 wrote:How do you trial this ? Do older people volunteer to be visited by a postie or do we just hunt down the ones who look lonely and invite ourselves in ?
I also think most of us are capable of showing a human side while working and spending a minute or two with somone who might need it, i really dislike the idea that Royal Mail feel they need to be our moral gaurdians considering most of management have none to begin with.
Exactly,I hope they dont send any DOMs or Linos out as they just wouldnt know how to start.
Aquarius
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Apr 2008, 11:40

Loneliness

Post by Aquarius »

citypostie wrote:I won't be doing this. I'm paid to deliver mail and parcels. Setting yourself up for loads of hassle if something goes wrong. Social workers are paid more than us and study at uni to do the job, they should be doing this not us lot just because it's a cheaper option for the government. A forced morning or a fake laugh at yet another "I don't want it if it's a bill" comment is the most anyone on my round gets or ever will unless I know them from my real life outside of work
100% with bells on - not posties job to listen to stranger's problems...paid to do a job - finish and go home to our own problems.

Posties are NOT social workers or friends or family