ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Much-loved postman to retire after 12 dog bites and 35 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Much-loved postman to retire after 12 dog bites and 35 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/sheringham- ... -1-5715106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

When north Norfolk postman Peter Woollard started work 35 years ago, there were two mail deliveries a day and internet shopping was a thing of the future.

But times have changed, and while today’s postal workers have to complete just one round a day, they are also tasked with making sure a huge number of parcels get to their destination.

Mr Woollard, who will be hanging up the keys to his van for the final time when he retires on October 20, said that while he would miss his colleagues and customers, he was looking forward to enjoying a more relaxing life.

“Things are very different now,” he explained. “The workload is much higher, it’s high pressure and, with internet shopping, it is a much more physical job.”

Cromer-born Mr Woollard, whose father was stage manager at the town’s Pavilion Theatre, was made redundant from jobs at three local firms before a friend suggested becoming a temporary postman covering the Christmas period in 1983.

He was called back just weeks later and was eventually taken on full-time, delivering the post around Sheringham town centre and seafront.

Over the years, Mr Woollard has become familiar with just about every street in Sheringham and is often called on for help by colleagues when letters or parcels have missing or misspelled names and addresses.

“Sometimes there will be no name, no postcode, the wrong number or even the wrong road, but, because I’ve been covering the area for so long, I can usually work out who a letter is for,” he said.

He has also had his fair share of hairy moments, including having to call an ambulance for a customer who had fallen off a ladder, and being bitten by around a dozen dogs.

“One particular one sticks in my mind as the owner had told us the dog had no teeth, but that didn’t stop it from sinking its gums into my leg when I collided with it unexpectedly coming round a corner,” he remembered.

Mr Woollard, 64, said he is looking forward to spending more time with his five-year-old grandson and on his hobby of photography.

“I will miss my customers,” he said. “I have seen their children grow up, I’ve shared their ups and downs and I’d like to think I’ve become a friend, rather than just a postman.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Skuse
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
Gender: Male

Much-loved postman to retire after 12 dog bites and 35 years

Post by Skuse »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/sheringham- ... -1-5715106

Image

When north Norfolk postman Peter Woollard started work 35 years ago, there were two mail deliveries a day and internet shopping was a thing of the future.

But times have changed, and while today’s postal workers have to complete just one round a day, they are also tasked with making sure a huge number of parcels get to their destination.

Mr Woollard, who will be hanging up the keys to his van for the final time when he retires on October 20, said that while he would miss his colleagues and customers, he was looking forward to enjoying a more relaxing life.

“Things are very different now,” he explained. “The workload is much higher, it’s high pressure and, with internet shopping, it is a much more physical job.”

Cromer-born Mr Woollard, whose father was stage manager at the town’s Pavilion Theatre, was made redundant from jobs at three local firms before a friend suggested becoming a temporary postman covering the Christmas period in 1983.

He was called back just weeks later and was eventually taken on full-time, delivering the post around Sheringham town centre and seafront.

Over the years, Mr Woollard has become familiar with just about every street in Sheringham and is often called on for help by colleagues when letters or parcels have missing or misspelled names and addresses.

“Sometimes there will be no name, no postcode, the wrong number or even the wrong road, but, because I’ve been covering the area for so long, I can usually work out who a letter is for,” he said.

He has also had his fair share of hairy moments, including having to call an ambulance for a customer who had fallen off a ladder, and being bitten by around a dozen dogs.

“One particular one sticks in my mind as the owner had told us the dog had no teeth, but that didn’t stop it from sinking its gums into my leg when I collided with it unexpectedly coming round a corner,” he remembered.

Mr Woollard, 64, said he is looking forward to spending more time with his five-year-old grandson and on his hobby of photography.

“I will miss my customers,” he said. “I have seen their children grow up, I’ve shared their ups and downs and I’d like to think I’ve become a friend, rather than just a postman.”
Looks good for 64 :dance