ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Know how your feeling, already been told at 3 month point by my manager that if probation had been 3 months I might not get through the trial as I had small pile of miss-delivery complaints, a lot from the same house. At this time I was struggling with medical issues and the heat and my concentration wasn't very good. Since then I have gone onto a rural route and as far as I know everyone is happy on my round. But yes the bullying tactics of managers sucks and he has made me feel very stressed to the point I have started having panic attacks again. I have seriously thought about jacking the crap in but I will not let them beat me.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Thanks for that - I did ask about these some weeks ago and the new boss said he'd heard of them but never seen one.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Ask this new manager to order some P6453s. They are self-explanatory
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPGY_O_WsAEmsTr.jpg
So they do exist!!
Having these with me on my round would definitely make me feel more confident - but then when you work in a place that runs out of rubber bands how hopeful are you that these will be ordered?!
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
They're obsessed with speed, you're too quick,yiure too slow, Here's a tip for the managers: give the new starters a break will you , as for mistakes, that's exactly what they are , it's not an intentional act, even in my long and Indistinguished time in this job, I make mistakes ,don't worry about it , do,your best and you'll be fine.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Don't worry the walk is probably to big it can happen to anyone
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Best thing is join CWU which you have done other than that not go sick unless you really need to and don't piss off managers for the sake of it other than that you should be ok!
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Things are not going well for me in my seventh week. I am near the end of my time with RM I think. Reckon I'll be sacked fairly soon. Boss expects me to work for free and I'm not prepared to do that. f I "cut off" I risk suspension for wilful delay; if I finish my round I'm denied payment for the extra time.
This is a perfect example of management bullying newbies into just doing the extra to ensure they keep their job and is wilful exploitation through fear and I am disgusted that any respectable organisation would employ such underhand tactics.
Am amazed I have stuck this out as long as I have. This is week 7. I was hoping to stick it out until I had paid for my double glazing and central heating but that is months off!!
This is a perfect example of management bullying newbies into just doing the extra to ensure they keep their job and is wilful exploitation through fear and I am disgusted that any respectable organisation would employ such underhand tactics.
Am amazed I have stuck this out as long as I have. This is week 7. I was hoping to stick it out until I had paid for my double glazing and central heating but that is months off!!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Well just work your contractual hours keep a diary of things said as you say you are in the union if the local rep cannot stop this you could go area level reps or even report this to the top of the CWU I don't have Dave Ward number at hand but you could google your way to get anything these days. If your keep a record of the events words witnesses of what is said to you can go constructive dismissal route I bet RM has been take to town by the people who did not get paid off!cookiewise wrote:Things are not going well for me in my seventh week. I am near the end of my time with RM I think. Reckon I'll be sacked fairly soon. Boss expects me to work for free and I'm not prepared to do that. f I "cut off" I risk suspension for wilful delay; if I finish my round I'm denied payment for the extra time.
This is a perfect example of management bullying newbies into just doing the extra to ensure they keep their job and is wilful exploitation through fear and I am disgusted that any respectable organisation would employ such underhand tactics.
Am amazed I have stuck this out as long as I have. This is week 7. I was hoping to stick it out until I had paid for my double glazing and central heating but that is months off!!
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
It's difficult as a newbie to judge how long a load will take. I have around 500 addresses.
Once you're out on a walk (and I take the full frame plus two rows from the neighbouring frame plus all the parcels/packets in an HCT) - and please be aware it's a 12-15min walk to my first drop and a further 15mins walk to reach the second; it would take a very brave person to return to the DO once the contracted hours are reached and leave the HCT for someone else to deliver. I am allowed 5mins break for each hour. I have never taken a break and there are no toilets out on the route so often I am going 6hours non-stop with no rest break. I never worked this hard in my office jobs and there were tea breaks and toilets all over the place!
If I did return with undelivered loops then that would be "wilful delay of the mail" and a "performance matter" - he's currently trying to suspend a colleague in a different DO for returning when his hours were up.
I feel entirely powerless. And entirely exploited.
Once you're out on a walk (and I take the full frame plus two rows from the neighbouring frame plus all the parcels/packets in an HCT) - and please be aware it's a 12-15min walk to my first drop and a further 15mins walk to reach the second; it would take a very brave person to return to the DO once the contracted hours are reached and leave the HCT for someone else to deliver. I am allowed 5mins break for each hour. I have never taken a break and there are no toilets out on the route so often I am going 6hours non-stop with no rest break. I never worked this hard in my office jobs and there were tea breaks and toilets all over the place!
If I did return with undelivered loops then that would be "wilful delay of the mail" and a "performance matter" - he's currently trying to suspend a colleague in a different DO for returning when his hours were up.
I feel entirely powerless. And entirely exploited.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Best thing is keep a record of all the events because it will aid you with a constructive dismissal claim some of these managers are the most devious people in the land but the truth will come out with evidence and testimony it is in your interest to make this vile person pay with his job so escalate this if your rep is scared of the boss his boss probably would love shot of the competition before he stabs him/her in the back!cookiewise wrote:It's difficult as a newbie to judge how long a load will take. I have around 500 addresses.
Once you're out on a walk (and I take the full frame plus two rows from the neighbouring frame plus all the parcels/packets in an HCT) - and please be aware it's a 12-15min walk to my first drop and a further 15mins walk to reach the second; it would take a very brave person to return to the DO once the contracted hours are reached and leave the HCT for someone else to deliver. I am allowed 5mins break for each hour. I have never taken a break and there are no toilets out on the route so often I am going 6hours non-stop with no rest break. I never worked this hard in my office jobs and there were tea breaks and toilets all over the place!
If I did return with undelivered loops then that would be "wilful delay of the mail" and a "performance matter" - he's currently trying to suspend a colleague in a different DO for returning when his hours were up.
I feel entirely powerless. And entirely exploited.
-
cookiewise
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
- Gender: Female
- Location: over the hills and far away
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Would I be able to launch a constructive dismissal case with only a few weeks service though? Given that I'm on probation for 6 months it seems entirely at the whim of the DOM if I remain in post or not and I am powerless to do anything about it. RM holds all the cards.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
New start probationary period - am I vulnerable?
Just try stick it out for as long as possible make the boss lose it with you because you are doing everything to the best of your ability IE he is too demanding or is not supportive in coaching you or will not be flexible when you have been. Time at a workplace will not stop you from bullying my first experience was after working 12 years for this s**t hole and has happend since then time will heal the feelings over time but loosing your job because others cannot do theirs is no comfort to you and this is just not incompetence by the manager it is GREED they don't pay you because they get a bonus for not paying you!cookiewise wrote:Would I be able to launch a constructive dismissal case with only a few weeks service though? Given that I'm on probation for 6 months it seems entirely at the whim of the DOM if I remain in post or not and I am powerless to do anything about it. RM holds all the cards.