ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/scott ... -1-8645100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Leonard has condemned a Scottish Labour party official for making an anti-Catholic comment at the party’s UK conference.
Andy Kerr, chairman of Labour’s ruling National Executive Committee, was speaking from the stage and invited a question from a female delegate.
He then appeared to mock her for crossing herself, saying: “Did you cross yourself, there? In that case, I might not.”
Asked if it was “bigoted”, Mr Leonard told BBC Radio Scotland’s Good Morning Scotland programme: “That might be one way of describing it.”
The Scottish Labour leader said: “There is absolutely no room inside the Labour Party for that kind of remark, whether it’s meant as a form of humour or not. “It’s completely unacceptable and Andy Kerr has unreservedly apologised for the remark that he made.”
He added: “There should be no space for it inside the Labour Party and I condemn it.”
Former Scottish Parliament Presiding Officer Tricia Marwick had called on Mr Leonard to take action. She tweeted him: “Maybe it is about time you united people regardless of religion, creed or colour. “The sectarian remarks today against Catholics by your chair Andy Kerr in an open session of your conference were disgraceful. “What are you going to do about that?”
Questioned on his comment, Mr Kerr, a deputy general secretary of the Communication Workers Union, said: “I apologise unreservedly. “I was trying to be lighthearted but what I said was ill-judged and wrong.”
The First Minister said his comment was “appalling”. She tweeted: “Andy Kerr’s comment was appalling. The Catholic community is an integral and valued part of Scottish life. “Everyone who stands for a Scotland where bigotry and sectarianism have no place, and where we positively embrace diversity, must unite to condemn - regardless of party.”
Richard Leonard has condemned a Scottish Labour party official for making an anti-Catholic comment at the party’s UK conference.
Andy Kerr, chairman of Labour’s ruling National Executive Committee, was speaking from the stage and invited a question from a female delegate.
He then appeared to mock her for crossing herself, saying: “Did you cross yourself, there? In that case, I might not.”
Asked if it was “bigoted”, Mr Leonard told BBC Radio Scotland’s Good Morning Scotland programme: “That might be one way of describing it.”
The Scottish Labour leader said: “There is absolutely no room inside the Labour Party for that kind of remark, whether it’s meant as a form of humour or not. “It’s completely unacceptable and Andy Kerr has unreservedly apologised for the remark that he made.”
He added: “There should be no space for it inside the Labour Party and I condemn it.”
Former Scottish Parliament Presiding Officer Tricia Marwick had called on Mr Leonard to take action. She tweeted him: “Maybe it is about time you united people regardless of religion, creed or colour. “The sectarian remarks today against Catholics by your chair Andy Kerr in an open session of your conference were disgraceful. “What are you going to do about that?”
Questioned on his comment, Mr Kerr, a deputy general secretary of the Communication Workers Union, said: “I apologise unreservedly. “I was trying to be lighthearted but what I said was ill-judged and wrong.”
The First Minister said his comment was “appalling”. She tweeted: “Andy Kerr’s comment was appalling. The Catholic community is an integral and valued part of Scottish life. “Everyone who stands for a Scotland where bigotry and sectarianism have no place, and where we positively embrace diversity, must unite to condemn - regardless of party.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
A reminder of the rules. If necessary I will heavily Moderate this thread.
KNOWN PERSONALITIES WITHIN ROYAL MAIL AND THE CWU
It is fair to say that those in the 'top jobs' come in for a lot of criticism on this forum, please post constructive criticism and nothing else. Any libellous or slanderous posts will be deleted or amended, in no way should these personalities have any abuse aimed at them, period.
Please debate the issue and not let it descend into abuse and vitriol. If otherwise we just debase the reason why RoyalMailChat was started.
KNOWN PERSONALITIES WITHIN ROYAL MAIL AND THE CWU
It is fair to say that those in the 'top jobs' come in for a lot of criticism on this forum, please post constructive criticism and nothing else. Any libellous or slanderous posts will be deleted or amended, in no way should these personalities have any abuse aimed at them, period.
Please debate the issue and not let it descend into abuse and vitriol. If otherwise we just debase the reason why RoyalMailChat was started.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
No one can condone Andy Kerr’s behaviour.
His position as a CWU official on a public platform was disgraceful. He only allowed his own personal feelings to show through to his own detriment. Maybe some diversity training is needed, he cannot be allowed to display such open bias towards an individual only to display his own obvious deep seated feelings about other religions. A bigot even !
Trying to poke harmless fun, as it is being portrayed, did not show him in a good light.
His arrogance is not fitting of an area CWU position of deputy secretary or holding any position on the Labour Party NEC.
His position as a CWU official on a public platform was disgraceful. He only allowed his own personal feelings to show through to his own detriment. Maybe some diversity training is needed, he cannot be allowed to display such open bias towards an individual only to display his own obvious deep seated feelings about other religions. A bigot even !
Trying to poke harmless fun, as it is being portrayed, did not show him in a good light.
His arrogance is not fitting of an area CWU position of deputy secretary or holding any position on the Labour Party NEC.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
The Labour movement is turning into an intolerant party under the current leadership, its becoming a Trotskyist totalitarian political entity that would fit well with Soviet Russia, any opinion or religious identity will be hounded and threatened including death threats by momentum activists.
As long as they and Corbyn are in charge. I'm not going to vote Labour, a party that doesn't allow dissent or contrary views to exist. I can see a split in the party coming in the future.
Kier Hardie would not recognise this party in its current form.
As long as they and Corbyn are in charge. I'm not going to vote Labour, a party that doesn't allow dissent or contrary views to exist. I can see a split in the party coming in the future.
Kier Hardie would not recognise this party in its current form.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
I simply don't recognise that description of the Labour Party, well I do but I hope most see past political agendas of all sources and research the subjects themselves.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
I disagree ! Kier Hardie would never have recognised New Labour under Blair.NWpostie wrote:The Labour movement is turning into an intolerant party under the current leadership, its becoming a Trotskyist totalitarian political entity that would fit well with Soviet Russia, any opinion or religious identity will be hounded and threatened including death threats by momentum activists.
As long as they and Corbyn are in charge. I'm not going to vote Labour, a party that doesn't allow dissent or contrary views to exist. I can see a split in the party coming in the future.
Kier Hardie would not recognise this party in its current form.
The Tory Party will welcome you with open arms, then you will see what intolerance really is.
Working class Tories are a scourge on our society and if you believe differently you are in cloud cuckoo land.
Too many current Labour supporters have forgotten basic socialist principals.
The party is an open book with many views but they are still basically for working people who get a raw deal, protecting our NHS and welfare state. If you believe Corbyn has manifest anything other than true socialism ! good bye
Oh, bye the way the thread was about one of our senior Union officials showing a complete lack of tolerance, and that only reflects intolerance steeped in a bigoted upbringing and arrogance of assuming superiority another person during an open debate forum. He is expected to behave with an element of decorum, not like a bigot !
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
has there been any offical response from cwu on this??
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
You're assuming a lot about me from my post, in fact you're insulting me referring me as a closet Tory ! I voted labour in the past, I was even a party member !!! I'm just not voting for this lot, momentum attacks on anyone who dares to hold a different view, is Jewish, not willing to worship Saint Corbyn.tommyrep wrote:I disagree ! Kier Hardie would never have recognised New Labour under Blair.NWpostie wrote:The Labour movement is turning into an intolerant party under the current leadership, its becoming a Trotskyist totalitarian political entity that would fit well with Soviet Russia, any opinion or religious identity will be hounded and threatened including death threats by momentum activists.
As long as they and Corbyn are in charge. I'm not going to vote Labour, a party that doesn't allow dissent or contrary views to exist. I can see a split in the party coming in the future.
Kier Hardie would not recognise this party in its current form.
The Tory Party will welcome you with open arms, then you will see what intolerance really is.
Working class Tories are a scourge on our society and if you believe differently you are in cloud cuckoo land.
Too many current Labour supporters have forgotten basic socialist principals.
The party is an open book with many views but they are still basically for working people who get a raw deal, protecting our NHS and welfare state. If you believe Corbyn has manifest anything other than true socialism ! good bye
Oh, bye the way the thread was about one of our senior Union officials showing a complete lack of tolerance, and that only reflects intolerance steeped in a bigoted upbringing and arrogance of assuming superiority another person during an open debate forum. He is expected to behave with an element of decorum, not like a bigot !
You're really encouring me to vote labour (not !) with all these thinly veiled insults worthy of a momentum activists. YOU FORGET its not just me who thinks like this, there's thousands across the country that doesn't agree with Corbyn, why do you think tge biggest Leave voting area are Loabour voting areas ? Because they feel Labour doesn't speak to them.
You're speaking with in the style assumed superiority that you accuses others of.
Enjoy your momentum moment, insulting people, calling anyone who says different must be a closet Tory. You would make a perfect NKVD recruit from the Soviet days.
Commissar Tommyrep.
I foresee a Labour party split, moderates v momentum dominated Trotsky party.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
If you were to pick a label for momentum from Russian history it wouldn't be Trotskyist, it would far more likely be a meek version of neo-Stalinism, Trotsky was a blood and thunder revolutionary not a pamphlet waving activist.I foresee a Labour party split, moderates v momentum dominated Trotsky party.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Tman
- Posts: 4145
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
It seems to be the new way of the world in the cuurent version of the Labour Party. If you don't think much of Corbyn then you're either a Tory or "Blairite scum" but either way that's more reminiscent of fascism than anything to do with the Labour Party.NWpostie wrote:You're really encouring me to vote labour (not !) with all these thinly veiled insults worthy of a momentum activists. YOU FORGET its not just me who thinks like this, there's thousands across the country that doesn't agree with Corbyn, why do you think tge biggest Leave voting area are Loabour voting areas ? Because they feel Labour doesn't speak to them.
You're speaking with in the style assumed superiority that you accuses others of.
Enjoy your momentum moment, insulting people, calling anyone who says different must be a closet Tory. You would make a perfect NKVD recruit from the Soviet days.
Commissar Tommyrep.
I foresee a Labour party split, moderates v momentum dominated Trotsky party.
A sad little man leading the once-great LP into oblivion, and just when the UK really needed an effective opposition party.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
You really can't see it can you. You call people remoaners then get on your high horse when someone suggests you are a closet Tory.NWpostie wrote:
You're assuming a lot about me from my post, in fact you're insulting me referring me as a closet Tory ! I voted labour in the past, I was even a party member !!! I'm just not voting for this lot, momentum attacks on anyone who dares to hold a different view, is Jewish, not willing to worship Saint Corbyn.
You're really encouring me to vote labour (not !) with all these thinly veiled insults worthy of a momentum activists. YOU FORGET its not just me who thinks like this, there's thousands across the country that doesn't agree with Corbyn, why do you think tge biggest Leave voting area are Loabour voting areas ? Because they feel Labour doesn't speak to them.
You're speaking with in the style assumed superiority that you accuses others of.
Enjoy your momentum moment, insulting people, calling anyone who says different must be a closet Tory. You would make a perfect NKVD recruit from the Soviet days.
Commissar Tommyrep.
I foresee a Labour party split, moderates v momentum dominated Trotsky party.
There are 2 things I can't stand - people who put others in boxes and generalise about them, and people who use put-downs then cry foul when its done back to them. Bingo you got both in 1 post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
Ok NW postie. Some clarification needed here.NWpostie wrote:You're assuming a lot about me from my post, in fact you're insulting me referring me as a closet Tory ! I voted labour in the past, I was even a party member !!! I'm just not voting for this lot, momentum attacks on anyone who dares to hold a different view, is Jewish, not willing to worship Saint Corbyn.tommyrep wrote:I disagree ! Kier Hardie would never have recognised New Labour under Blair.NWpostie wrote:The Labour movement is turning into an intolerant party under the current leadership, its becoming a Trotskyist totalitarian political entity that would fit well with Soviet Russia, any opinion or religious identity will be hounded and threatened including death threats by momentum activists.
As long as they and Corbyn are in charge. I'm not going to vote Labour, a party that doesn't allow dissent or contrary views to exist. I can see a split in the party coming in the future.
Kier Hardie would not recognise this party in its current form.
The Tory Party will welcome you with open arms, then you will see what intolerance really is.
Working class Tories are a scourge on our society and if you believe differently you are in cloud cuckoo land.
Too many current Labour supporters have forgotten basic socialist principals.
The party is an open book with many views but they are still basically for working people who get a raw deal, protecting our NHS and welfare state. If you believe Corbyn has manifest anything other than true socialism ! good bye
Oh, bye the way the thread was about one of our senior Union officials showing a complete lack of tolerance, and that only reflects intolerance steeped in a bigoted upbringing and arrogance of assuming superiority another person during an open debate forum. He is expected to behave with an element of decorum, not like a bigot !
You're really encouring me to vote labour (not !) with all these thinly veiled insults worthy of a momentum activists. YOU FORGET its not just me who thinks like this, there's thousands across the country that doesn't agree with Corbyn, why do you think tge biggest Leave voting area are Loabour voting areas ? Because they feel Labour doesn't speak to them.
You're speaking with in the style assumed superiority that you accuses others of.
Enjoy your momentum moment, insulting people, calling anyone who says different must be a closet Tory. You would make a perfect NKVD recruit from the Soviet days.
Commissar Tommyrep.
I foresee a Labour party split, moderates v momentum dominated Trotsky party.
I never referred to you as a closet Tory !!
YOU said you would never vote Labour with Corbyn at the helm. YOU said the party was intolerant and I said the Tory party would welcome you and I stated then you would then see what REAL intolerance was.
You went on to raise points on Brexit - I assume - and the vote leave lobby. You should know the whole Brexit question was a Tory party manifesto referendum policy of Cameron, certainly not a Corbyn induced problem. So many labour voters voted leave ! so what many Tory supporters voted to remain. Your point is - again I assume - that Corbyn is a Trotsky etc, I think you read and believe too much anti Corbyn media propaganda or comics. If labour supporters do not want Corbyn could you explain why the membership numbers have soared and he won overwhelmingly TWO leadership contests ?
If in these labour voting areas are disappointed with labour, I can only assume they are happy to continue with a Tory government instead !! Do they not see the shambles of Brexit,austerity and public service cuts under the Tory’s ?
I am not communist leaning, I am a socialist who only wants fairness to ALL people in Britain and not the privileged few.
I never assume superiority over anyone. I find it strange when you say you always voted Labour, the policies are the same to protect working class people and defend our NHS and Education for our youngsters, and you say you will not now vote Labour because of ONE person ! Stick to playing on the kiddies see saw, your reasoning is unfounded and childish.
You assumed that I accused you of being a closet Tory, you forgot there is always UKIP and the English League mob or BNP.
Whoever you vote for, they are welcome to your support and your logic capabilities.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
There you go labelling me as s potential BNP/EDL supporter just because I won't vote for Corbyn Labour.
Remember fish rots from the head downward.
Remember fish rots from the head downward.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
Well, if it’s not labour it’s some other party, innit ? Liberal, Greens, the raving loony party perhaps ?NWpostie wrote:There you go labelling me as s potential BNP/EDL supporter just because I won't vote for Corbyn Labour.
Remember fish rots from the head downward.
I am not labelling you, but you cannot predict or imply any assumed conclusions that I may make.
I don’t know you and you can vote as you wish. People did volunteer to be Kama Kazi pilots after all.
It takes all sorts and we all have opinions. I have tried to explain mines, whereas you have derived an opinion of your politics based on disliking one individual, without explanation. You probably know very little about Jeremy Corbyn and made your opinion/decision based on tittle tattle - a dangerous path to be influenced by media propaganda !
My view on Corbyn is that he has more integrity and honesty based on a lifetime of socialist political principals than you give him discredit for, which is your call.
Never heard that quote before! My knowledge of decomposing fish is not good.
I will assume it was made in a derogatory fashion, if so I am away to slash my wrists !
Your low opinion of me is truly heart breaking.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Scottish Labour apologise for anti-Catholic comment
The problem is. It is on public record Corbyn has been associated with the IRA and PLO, allowing anti semitism to thrive under his watch and for momentum to intimidate and threaten anyone who opposes him and his views. Economic policies that's not quite feasible. Brexit policy that would leave us tied to Europe on very bad terms against the wishes of the electorate who you assume to too thick to "make the right choice"
And now this anti catholic joke, it may be a joke it does not help in the current climate of anti semitism, intimidation etc.
But of course like any religious cult, Saint Corbyn can't do no wrong, his word nirvana to your ears. All hail the most holy Saint Corbyn, its almost parodying "The life of Brian"
And this silly thought that anyone who dont agree is a heretic and closet Tory/BNP/EDL supporter, indicates your closed minds and unwillingness to tolerate opposing views preferring to suppress or close it down.
And now this anti catholic joke, it may be a joke it does not help in the current climate of anti semitism, intimidation etc.
But of course like any religious cult, Saint Corbyn can't do no wrong, his word nirvana to your ears. All hail the most holy Saint Corbyn, its almost parodying "The life of Brian"
And this silly thought that anyone who dont agree is a heretic and closet Tory/BNP/EDL supporter, indicates your closed minds and unwillingness to tolerate opposing views preferring to suppress or close it down.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.