600 is a very good week to be fair. It's when I've done two hours early prepping in the morning, two hours extra delivery and then two hours on a collection on the evening. That's a twelve hour day; I've done that two or three days in a week before. I also do collections virtually every afternoon, and have signed for my rest day meaning I work my rest day every week. We're always crazy short in terms of staff numbers at our office though, it's not the same at every office so I'm told.Seagull1983 wrote:Just my basic maths 38 x 11 = £418. Where does the rest come from ?DrSatan wrote:Overtime.Seagull1983 wrote:How on earth can you earn up to £600 a week on 30 hours ? Even if you worked 8 hours on day off surely that would mean nearer £400 a week. I’m starting next week on 25 hours so I’m new to this.postietom wrote:Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.
Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.
On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Returning to Royal Mail
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Returning to Royal Mail
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
Returning to Royal Mail
Thanks for that. Newbie was getting confused!postietom wrote:600 is a very good week to be fair. It's when I've done two hours early prepping in the morning, two hours extra delivery and then two hours on a collection on the evening. That's a twelve hour day; I've done that two or three days in a week before. I also do collections virtually every afternoon, and have signed for my rest day meaning I work my rest day every week. We're always crazy short in terms of staff numbers at our office though, it's not the same at every office so I'm told.Seagull1983 wrote:Just my basic maths 38 x 11 = £418. Where does the rest come from ?DrSatan wrote:Overtime.Seagull1983 wrote:How on earth can you earn up to £600 a week on 30 hours ? Even if you worked 8 hours on day off surely that would mean nearer £400 a week. I’m starting next week on 25 hours so I’m new to this.postietom wrote:Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.
Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.
On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.