IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: D2D "cold calling" in bulk everyday could easily mean you are adding 15+ minutes of outdoor time
So 15 minutes of cold calling or 15 extra minutes of lapsing?
If everyone did 15 minutes of extra lapsing then how many duties could they take out of your office?
And I believe delivering JUNK MAIL only on the heavier days (Weds - Fri?) is one of the options being considered.
It would take the D2D prep time and delivery time out of the lighter days freeing up even more time for lapsing.
Who says it won't cost jobs or take hours out of delivery offices?
JUNK MAIL is work.
Work protects jobs.
I don't understand why so many people find that difficult to comprehend.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar wrote: I had six D2Ds this week and it took over 90 minutes to throw them all up.
You're not supposed to 'throw them all up' on one day!
I know the standard is a sixth per day but I would rather get the majority of them delivered on Monday & Tuesday when it is a bit quieter. You don't want slots full of D2Ds on Wednesday & Thursday when there is loads more mail. As long as they all get delivered in the week I don't think RM is too bothered. The one sixth idea is designed to avoid arguments between posties about some not doing their fair share.
Celgar - just curious - in other threads you say you frequently don't get paid overtime you are due - does the prep time for putting in a weeks D2D on Mon/Tue take you over your time and do you deliver D2D to houses without mail on a Mon/Tue? Is this one of the scenarios where you're not getting paid for OT?
Delivering D2D on a Wed/Thu makes more sense to me if you're going to loads of houses.
As a rule we don't get paid overtime except for Christmas pressure, unusual circumstances such as staff going sick, or if the DOM wants us to do additional work on other walks that isn't absorption. We don't get six D2D items every week so the prep time for them varies. It may or may not eat into my own time to prep them on Saturday for delivery on Monday but it makes life easier. I only deliver D2Ds when I have other mail for them as well. I usually get mail for the majority of delivery points on Mondays and probably only miss out about 20 of the 400 delivery points on my walk. I have a few houses owned by the HS2 contractors which have strips of metal nailed or screwed over the letterboxes to prevent mail being posted but less than ten properties I think. The delivery of D2D probably doesn't have a great effect on additional delivery time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You remove D2Ds from the scenario that doesn't increase efficiency, it reduces the number of people needed to cover the product as it goes through the pipeline. It will close all the Bundling centres, it will reduce the headcount in Mail Centres, it will mean duties will have to bigger in delivery offices to maintain the same level of efficiency, it means closing down the marketing part of the business that deals with D2Ds.
Won't really make any difference in MC apart from perhaps less space needed on runs to DOs
Have to say whoever does the marketing for this crap is good at their job, 'customers LOVE them' apparently; at least that's what a poster in our office tells us.
Ultimately, these things bring jobs and revenue. As somebody said above, they'd be loads out of work if they were stopped and we'd all be 20 whatever quid it is now down everyweek. They're a pain, but a worth while one I reckon. That's despite me moaning about having six this week.
superports wrote:
Genuine question - how is d2d prep time built into duty? My duty time is always the same whether I have 6 items or none.
When D2D went into workload timings were given for prep according to the number of contracts.
Assuming you were doing 1/6th a day and assuming a duty total of 500 calls:
For 1 contract it was 4 minutes
For 2 contracts it was 8 minutes
For 3 contracts it was 10 minutes
I forget the rest.
Obviously if you had a duty with 1000 total calls you would need to double the timings or if you did double columns one day.
This was supposed to be inputted into the iwt to calculate your total allocated prep time.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
superports wrote:
Genuine question - how is d2d prep time built into duty? My duty time is always the same whether I have 6 items or none.
When D2D went into workload timings were given for prep according to the number of contracts.
Assuming you were doing 1/6th a day and assuming a duty total of 500 calls:
For 1 contract it was 4 minutes
For 2 contracts it was 8 minutes
For 3 contracts it was 10 minutes
I forget the rest.
Obviously if you had a duty with 1000 total calls you would need to double the timings or if you did double columns one day.
This was supposed to be inputted into the iwt to calculate your total allocated prep time.
How can you have uniform times, I know the duties are all the same blah,blah,the reality is that they aren't ,therefore there should be a variance in the time taken, but using their logic 6 items should take 20 minutes,which is 2 hrs a week , or thereabouts.There is not enough time allocated for the prep of more than probably 2 D2D's.
I can't stand the things, however ,I am paid to do them and as you said earlier,work is work and that equates to jobs, so I just resign myself to doing them ,whatever their merits or otherwise.
postietom wrote:Have to say whoever does the marketing for this crap is good at their job, 'customers LOVE them' apparently; at least that's what a poster in our office tells us.
Ultimately, these things bring jobs and revenue. As somebody said above, they'd be loads out of work if they were stopped and we'd all be 20 whatever quid it is now down everyweek. They're a pain, but a worth while one I reckon. That's despite me moaning about having six this week.
Certainly some of what is written in the D2D report by RM is correct. You have to remember that in RMs eyes the company or individual posting the item is the customer and the company or individual receiving the item is the recipient. So when RM says the customer 'loves' D2Ds this is probably correct.
On the other hand posties generally consider the company or individual receiving the item to be the customer. Most of us probably feel 'our customers' do not like D2Ds but we can't know for certain that all our customers dislike D2Ds. D2Ds are profitable for RM and therefore they keep our jobs more secure so we have to respect that. I think RM would have to think very carefully before expanding numbers of D2Ds beyond six per week on a regular basis otherwise there may be a backlash and a lot more opt-outs.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
I actually find they're quite good once in a while. Me and the wife are partial to the odd Dominos or Indian, so a new menu with money off is handy now and then. We had one from Morrisons come through not too long ago which well impressed the wife too as it had money off vouchers attached. She told me she doesn't mind the menus and money off vouchers but doesn't want anything else. I work in a different area to where we live so I certainly aint gonna catch our postie and say: "Stop them d2d's will ya, apart from the menus and money off ones; we like those."
postietom wrote:'customers LOVE them' apparently; at least that's what a poster in our office tells us.
RM is fond of telling us the customer isn't the person whose door you shove this stuff through - it's the business that sent it. Whenever they go against that mantra and try to side with our perception of who the customer is, it's because they want to emotionally manipulate you.
Compared to a local TV advert I would imagine they are quite cost effective.
I've no idea how much D2D's cost to produce and deliver but let's say 10p per leaflet. If you're delivering say 600 that's £60 cost to the advertiser.
Let's say the company is a local double glazing fitter. They get one new customer off the round of 600 deliveries. Double glazing for a house at £4000 possibly - profit
of lets say £500 - for an outlay of £60 - that's a winner in anybody's book.
I wouldn't mind so much if there was some thought for us when they accept/design them. This week I've had just two, but they're an A4 flimsy flyer with less consistency than a fag paper and a postcard sized work for RM over Xmas and help deliver a warm glow or whatever s**t it says
Absolute nightmare, even if the address has mail. If it hasn't I'm having to quarter the A4 around the postcard to get it through without it tearing or looking like used bog paper on the other side.
Following on from crimson kings post,they could be targeted better most of my walk is social housing which is posh for a sink estate,lovely people but very few own their own homes and we regularly get double glazing leaflets,garage door ones and those shitty night storage heater ones,it's a joke delivering those to houses that have sofa's and kitchen units chucked in the garden.
deetee wrote:I had six on the round i was on last saturday, loads to houses i wasnt going to with mail but had to clear them all as it was a saturday. I smiled and thought of the OT, its why we go in right, ten hours OT in one day easy money
Was that your day off or how'd you work 10 hours above your contract hours?! what time did you finish?
Yes was one of my days off, 0645-1645. Done about 65 hours last week 550 after tax, about the most you can earn in this job not bad. :)