https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... t-15148688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Residents have been forced to travel a mile to collect their post.
Royal Mail are refusing to deliver to an entire Nuneaton street after a postman was threatened with a knife.
Following the ‘serious’ incident in Smithfield Place, residents have been told that they will not have their post delivered for the foreseeable future.
It means that they now have to make the mile long trek to the delivery office in Church Street every day if they want their mail.
This has enraged the local community according to a mum, who did not want to be named.
She said: “I am furious that the whole street has got to go and get their mail because of what has happened.
“I have lived here for eight years and have never had a problem before.
"Normally I just shut my door and then ignore if anything is going on but this is affecting my life now and the lives of others."
She said that she has missed an important hospital appointment because she did not get her post on time.
“People just can’t get down there every day, especially if they work or they are disabled," she said.
"It is not fair that we are all being punished for this.”
Speaking about the incident on Saturday, September 8 she said: “It was 7.30am on the Saturday morning, I was looking forward to having a lie-in, not to be woken by eight police cars and a riot van.
“The poor young Royal Mail lad, who had been threatened with a knife and had his mail bag stolen, looked as white as a sheet, it must have been awful for him.”
What Royal Mail said
A Royal Mail spokesperson said that they have to put the safety of staff first and will re-start deliveries as soon as they are able to do so.
"We can confirm that our postman was threatened by a member of the public whilst delivering to a block of flats in Nuneaton on Saturday 8 September,” the spokesperson said.
“The person was arrested by the police and subsequently released on bail.
"The safety of our people is of paramount importance to Royal Mail so regrettably, we have had to suspend deliveries to the flats until we can ensure that it is safe to deliver to these addresses.
"We apologise to affected customers and have informed them how they can continue to receive their mail in the meantime.
"If they are unable to collect their mail in person from Nuneaton delivery office, which is about one mile away, they can arrange for it to be delivered to an alternative address in the area or collected by someone else on their behalf."
The spokesperson concluded: "We continue to work with local police and will resume deliveries as soon as it is safe to do so."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
Doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the knife lives on that street.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
Would you deliver to itCelgar wrote:Doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the knife lives on that street.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
I was threatened by two guys while on deliveries in Glasgow and had my giros stolen off me. It's not at the time it hits you, it's just after when you think. I was in the close and as soon as I knew what was happening it was off beg, hear you go mate. No heroes are alive. I remember I was off with SHOCK for several weeks, well you got to recuperate, don't you! 
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
I’m more shocked he was out delivering at 730 in the morning!Celgar wrote:Doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the knife lives on that street.
-
blue1873
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 8869
- Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
- Gender: Male
Posties refuse to deliver to ENTIRE street after knife threat
That was regarded as a late start in my delivery days ,you had to be a wee bitmatthew68 wrote:I’m more shocked he was out delivering at 730 in the morning!Celgar wrote:Doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the knife lives on that street.
more aware during the dark mornings, thieves dont "work" just nine to five