ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
I’ve been here 3 months and I can say I somewhat like it. I went from a job of working till 10pm on s**t pay being insulted by customers to finishing early on great pay.
You’ll love it if your management isn’t s**t.
It can be stressful, bad for people with anxiety as you can be moved all over the place and it can be daunting doing your own delivery for first time.
Apart from it being taxing on your body it’s a good job so far. Definitely won’t be in a hurry to go elsewhere.
You’ll love it if your management isn’t s**t.
It can be stressful, bad for people with anxiety as you can be moved all over the place and it can be daunting doing your own delivery for first time.
Apart from it being taxing on your body it’s a good job so far. Definitely won’t be in a hurry to go elsewhere.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Was management any different pre privatisation? Genuine question.bmccoll wrote:It's a great job ruined by management and always has been. Once you're on you're walk you are you're own boss and can work it as you see fit. The best part is having a laugh and a chat with the customers. That takes a few minutes or so and can take you over you're time slightly but it does honestly make you're day.
A lot of the old timers in my office say it's always been the same. Bullying, harrassment ect has always been a tool of incompetent gaffers to get the work covered. Two of the very worst culprets in our office were quickly got rid of after RM was privertised infact. Even when the company was public the Union had to fight like dogs for pay rises, AND a five day week apparently as I'm told six was standard for many years.
Bad managers will be bad managers, doesn't matter if it was a public or private company is my reading into the whole thing.
-
Driver74
- Posts: 117
- Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
It’s true that it was always a 6 day week across all shifts the overtime rates were much better till the way forward agreement but basic pay used to be much worse
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
I enjoy the job.... If I didn't I'd find another.
When things are getting you down just remember some of the other shite jobs you may have had to do.
I tell you what makes a major difference to me........ get yourself a Digital Radio and use it to relax when doing the job, or shut out the bullshit that some colleagues constantly spout when on IPS or throwing off!
Good Luck! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
This is basically what I hear. Double time and a half for Good Friday, or douple time and a days holiday. RM eventually said we're not paying it so the union said we're not working it then (fair enough). Same for Sunday collections.Driver74 wrote:It’s true that it was always a 6 day week across all shifts the overtime rates were much better till the way forward agreement but basic pay used to be much worse
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
From what I hear, the basic wage nowadays is far better compared to what it was; the overtime payments however were far better back in the day.
Which in itself suggests there was always that carrot to do overtime. You're just pushed into it more nowadays.
Which in itself suggests there was always that carrot to do overtime. You're just pushed into it more nowadays.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
I’ve been here about 6 months and I absolutely love it! I think my managers are ok, but I just try and keep my head down and not have to really deal with them.
I get moved round almost daily but I don’t mind the variation and it’s a good way to get to know your fellow posties
Pays good and you can have overtime if you want it.
Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
I get moved round almost daily but I don’t mind the variation and it’s a good way to get to know your fellow posties
Pays good and you can have overtime if you want it.
Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12198
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Round about mid November is when it really starts picking up in the run up to xmasTinoblade wrote:Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Is it as bad as people make out?SpacePhoenix wrote:Round about mid November is when it really starts picking up in the run up to xmasTinoblade wrote:Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
No.Tinoblade wrote:
Is it as bad as people make out?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12198
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
It probably varies depending on on office type and office location, it's always a lot busier in MCs, many MCs will probably have a marquee in their yard either as extra storage or as an extra sorting area. For some MCs, it could be worse this year down to Network 18, if RM sticks to the Network arrival patterns for work coming into MCs from other MCs then some MCs won't have a hope in hell of clearing and during the main time when xmas cards go through the system, there'll be loads going manual where there either won't be the time to run it at all through an IMP/iLSM or there's only be enough time to run it on the sortplan that's just down to DO levelTinoblade wrote:Is it as bad as people make out?SpacePhoenix wrote:Round about mid November is when it really starts picking up in the run up to xmasTinoblade wrote:Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
After nearly 15 years In deliveries - No. The workload rises but the day to day crap nearly disappears. No lapsing, extra bodies from the leave reserves having no one to cover, as much overtime as you need, managers don't watch the clock, and because the QofS is suspended, on really busy days the managers can roll stuff over to the next day if needed.clashcityrocker wrote:No.Tinoblade wrote:
Is it as bad as people make out?
So the traffic is higher, but its a more relaxed management style and I reckon we get more done with less disruption at Christmas. Go figure, trust the workforce and suspend the command and control type management and it works better - who knew.
However, to a new starter, its daunting to see how much work they have to get through, and it can be a shock, But if you crack on and avoid any stress its not that bad a time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Worst job I've ever had, worst company I've ever worked for.
I'm convinced all senior managers, and more than a few Doms and assistant Doms, actually hate the people who do all of the work, namely us.
The lack of respect there is for some of the most hardworking people in Britain, the level of absolute pish-taking they have to endure at the incompetent hands of Royal Mail management, I find simply staggering.
Without us, there is no business. Simple as that.
Were I younger, I'd be off like a shot.
Although, having said that, I do not for one moment, envy the young, or the kind of culture of work that exists today in Britain.
I'm convinced all senior managers, and more than a few Doms and assistant Doms, actually hate the people who do all of the work, namely us.
The lack of respect there is for some of the most hardworking people in Britain, the level of absolute pish-taking they have to endure at the incompetent hands of Royal Mail management, I find simply staggering.
Without us, there is no business. Simple as that.
Were I younger, I'd be off like a shot.
Although, having said that, I do not for one moment, envy the young, or the kind of culture of work that exists today in Britain.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Depends how your office is run. I think ours works okay, we have 6 dedicated packet drivers in ours running oversized to help ease the pressure. Works well usually. Last year however was a nightmare, we lost 2 days delivery due to the weather which totally f**ked up everything up. Took us a week and a half to catch up!Tinoblade wrote:Is it as bad as people make out?SpacePhoenix wrote:Round about mid November is when it really starts picking up in the run up to xmasTinoblade wrote:Although everyone is saying wait for Christmas and see how much you like it then haha
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Yeah I guess stressing won’t get through it any quicker!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:After nearly 15 years In deliveries - No. The workload rises but the day to day crap nearly disappears. No lapsing, extra bodies from the leave reserves having no one to cover, as much overtime as you need, managers don't watch the clock, and because the QofS is suspended, on really busy days the managers can roll stuff over to the next day if needed.clashcityrocker wrote:No.Tinoblade wrote:
Is it as bad as people make out?
So the traffic is higher, but its a more relaxed management style and I reckon we get more done with less disruption at Christmas. Go figure, trust the workforce and suspend the command and control type management and it works better - who knew.
However, to a new starter, its daunting to see how much work they have to get through, and it can be a shock, But if you crack on and avoid any stress its not that bad a time.
But if management is more relaxed on the whole and we’re left to get on with it all sounds good. And the overtime around Xmas sounds good to me