Bitter much? So many people turn down overtime then moan and call others names who do do it.fishtank wrote:Neither.clashcityrocker wrote: 1. Are RM giving preferential treatment to full time staff because they are a cheaper overtime option?
2. Are RM giving preferential overtime to full time staff to avoid having to increase part timers' contracts when the reviews take place?
In most offices pre-arranged overtime is allocated sometimes by a manager but often a CWU represented grade, even in some ridiculous cases by the union rep. Preferential treatment is given to full-time staff primarily because the person handing out the overtime is full-time, usually benefits unduly himself(almost always male) and logically with roughly the samel length of service most of his best mates and those on the receiving end of those gifts are full-time
"RM" knows very little about the unfair and unlawful practices, gross abuse and downright fraud that makes up the stinking cesspool that is pre-arranged and scheduled overtime. If they knew the whole truth their entire legal department would probably resign overnight.
Why don't part-timers make more noise? A lot of them are not aware of their right to be treated fairly, know how corrupt this business is, and don't want to rock the boat in case they lose whatever scraps are thrown their way. Management are pathetic and think the office will fall apart if these kings of the docket are pissed off.
This is the truth about the overtime system the union seeks to defend under the guise of "protection earning opportunities" Rotten to the core but as any full release rep will tell you...You don't get elected by fair distribution of wealth if you're taking money out of the pockets of your core support.
One of those good ol boys in a neighbouring office was apparently apoplectic with rage recently because he was turned down for overtime as he had already breached the 70 hr mark that week, this in an office with a 50/50 part-time ratio where some members are having to live off 20 hr contracts. I was sorry I wasn't present, I would have PMSL and ROFL as the kids probably don't say anymore.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Overtime less than basic rate
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
I think to be honest the part-time staff should withdraw from the CWU and start their own union because this union has completely and spectacularly failed to represent them and worse than that actually actively and knowingly undermined their terms and conditions and job security.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
Set one up the if that’s your feelingsfishtank wrote:I think to be honest the part-time staff should withdraw from the CWU and start their own union because this union has completely and spectacularly failed to represent them and worse than that actually actively and knowingly undermined their terms and conditions and job security.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
Why would I be bitter?Bitter much? So many people turn down overtime then moan and call others names who do do it.
I'm full-time and get all the overtime I ask for...none.
I've seen the trick with the overtime refusal thing, offer them extended delivery when they can't do it because they're knackered or have childcare issues but don't offer them any of the sweet stuff, the cushy early hours on the IPS or the scheduled collection or the Sunday in the callers or demanding to work your day off on your own duty. Keep all that stuff for the boys.
All overtime is equal but some is more equal than others.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
I wouldn't because I'm full-time. The last thing the part-time staff need is another full-timer pretending to give a crap while taking their money.Set one up the if that’s your feelings
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
So you’re pretending you give a crap?fishtank wrote:I wouldn't because I'm full-time. The last thing the part-time staff need is another full-timer pretending to give a crap while taking their money.Set one up the if that’s your feelings
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
Yes I'm pretending to give a crap, are you pretending to be witty and intelligent?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Overtime less than basic rate
If the overtime is displayed as being 4.30 am - 6.30 am and your start time is 9.30, how exactly do you do that overtime without sitting around for 3 hours?number one wrote:
So many people turn down overtime then moan and call others names who do do it.
Why, if those hours are needed to support the indoor operation are they not allocated at a time when everyone can do them?
Why if those hours are needed is the office still lapsing?
How are those "earlies" going to be counted when the review of part time contracts comes around (next month?)
While Terry sends out ltbs about protecting members earning opportunities he seems to be wilfully ignorant of the fact that those earning opportunities are to the detriment of his part time members.
What exactly do you think the point of a trade union is?
Personally I think we should use our collective strength to protect the weakest.
Not ensure those that have the most are given more.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Overtime less than basic rate
This is so recognisable, it is obviously the widespread 'culture' that is apparent throughout RM DOs.fishtank wrote:Why would I be bitter?Bitter much? So many people turn down overtime then moan and call others names who do do it.
I'm full-time and get all the overtime I ask for...none.
I've seen the trick with the overtime refusal thing, offer them extended delivery when they can't do it because they're knackered or have childcare issues but don't offer them any of the sweet stuff, the cushy early hours on the IPS or the scheduled collection or the Sunday in the callers or demanding to work your day off on your own duty. Keep all that stuff for the boys.
All overtime is equal but some is more equal than others.
Not sure that without some kind of rota, or some sort of integrity how the OT can be distributed more evenly/ fairly.
*kudos for the Animal Farm paraphrase
'Libraries gave us power'