ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Delivery Method trials

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by zipmeister »

postietom wrote:Anybody got a link to these new methods so I can read it in more detail? I'm sure guidelines or whatever are on this forum somewhere.

From the rough detail above, I'm guessing it's not prepping mech and just delivering it? :hmmmm

The amount of missorts coming back daily is gonna be collassal as all I can think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

New Delivery Method trials

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

greengiant wrote:
So how / when do you check redirections / keep safes when bench merging?
Apparently, that will be automated and the machines will do it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
greengiant wrote:
So how / when do you check redirections / keep safes when bench merging?
Apparently, that will be automated and the machines will do it.
No chance, the machines sort to the address coded in the orange barcode that you see on the envelopes. You've also got the manual letters and flats that all have to have the redirections done manually (not every MC has got a T2K machine to sort flats, and with the amount of packets and mech letters (what would normally be put through an iLSM/IMP) in the boxes of flats, i can see RM getting rid of all their flat sorting machines as it's fairly obvious that there isn't the flats traffic to justify the running costs)
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by fishtank »

I would imagine that the most likely outcome from these different trials and the one most likely to "work" will involve manually sorting the flats and bench merging those into the sequenced mail with the D2D as a separate bundle. The redirections will be done as they are now with eventually as the technology allows the mail for addreses with valid redirections being segregated out of the sequenced mail for manual checking by the OPG. I can't really see an automated system of redirection being accurate enough to make judgements on different variations of names so the best option would be to segregate all mail for that address and let the OPG check it.

I agree with SP that automated flat sorting is not a viable model anymore.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
smileski
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 17:38

New Delivery Method trials

Post by smileski »

You really couldn't make this stuff up could you?

If I didn't have to prep my sequenced mail everyday, I agree, I would 'save' around 25 mins a day.

However what doesn't seem to have been taken into account is just how long it will take to merge unsequenced mail into a pile of loose mail on a bench! just flicking through the pile to do redirections sounds so awkward. Do they actually realise how many packets we are dealing with on a daily basis? For every packet we will have to flick through the mail on the bench to find the right place to put a card or turn a letter. Then adding flats and smaller packets will make the ever increasing line of mail so topsy turvey, bagging it up will be a nightmare, surely? I can see all these potential problems because I have been delivering mail for 18 years, this whole concept sounds absolutely ridiculous. Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by SpacePhoenix »

fishtank wrote:I agree with SP that automated flat sorting is not a viable model anymore.
I wonder if RM might in the future look into the viability (both practicalities and financially) or machines to sort and sequence flats and letters together, along with d2d. What would be a typical number of packets per walk (excluding specials) outside of xmas pressure?
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

New Delivery Method trials

Post by DB1100 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
fishtank wrote:I agree with SP that automated flat sorting is not a viable model anymore.
I wonder if RM might in the future look into the viability (both practicalities and financially) or machines to sort and sequence flats and letters together, along with d2d. What would be a typical number of packets per walk (excluding specials) outside of xmas pressure?
Most days it's about 4 rough bags per shared duty,that could be anything from 40 or so up to 100+ if the boat from China has docked.
For we were soldiers once,and young
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

New Delivery Method trials

Post by clashcityrocker »

smileski wrote: Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
The frames won't be there. There will be a much smaller version.
Everyone needs to stop focusing on the time element.
The purpose of bench merging is to reduce the footprint of your office so you can have more offices under one roof.
Space is money. Real estate is money.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by SpacePhoenix »

clashcityrocker wrote:
smileski wrote: Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
The frames won't be there. There will be a much smaller version.
Everyone needs to stop focusing on the time element.
The purpose of bench merging is to reduce the footprint of your office so you can have more offices under one roof.
Space is money. Real estate is money.
The longer the indoor work take, the less time that there is for the outdoor work and so more staff will be needed, which will probably cost RM more in the long term than what the building costs are, it'll also mean more vans needed
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

New Delivery Method trials

Post by Brandy »

smileski wrote:You really couldn't make this stuff up could you?

If I didn't have to prep my sequenced mail everyday, I agree, I would 'save' around 25 mins a day.

However what doesn't seem to have been taken into account is just how long it will take to merge unsequenced mail into a pile of loose mail on a bench! just flicking through the pile to do redirections sounds so awkward. Do they actually realise how many packets we are dealing with on a daily basis? For every packet we will have to flick through the mail on the bench to find the right place to put a card or turn a letter. Then adding flats and smaller packets will make the ever increasing line of mail so topsy turvey, bagging it up will be a nightmare, surely? I can see all these potential problems because I have been delivering mail for 18 years, this whole concept sounds absolutely ridiculous. Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
If this is supposed to be the way forward( oh dear that was another saying RM used a few years ago!) then it will be going backwards! It will be so time consuming,fiddly and just a total nightmare for the poor postie.These "bright sparks" that come up with these ideas should walk in the posties shoes before they suggest these crazy ideas.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

New Delivery Method trials

Post by elteleltel »

I put as many packets possible in the frame , agree it would be time consuming to do that bench merging , as for auto redirect the amount of vague / open to interpretation names on a list I don't see accuracy by a machine at all
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by greengiant »

clashcityrocker wrote:
smileski wrote: Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
The frames won't be there. There will be a much smaller version.
Everyone needs to stop focusing on the time element.
The purpose of bench merging is to reduce the footprint of your office so you can have more offices under one roof.
Space is money. Real estate is money.
So double decker bunk frames to go with the hydraulic double decker bunk van parking spaces?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

New Delivery Method trials

Post by clashcityrocker »

I know you jest but the idea of using the same frame for 2 walks (simply by turning over the road names when the first walk has been cleared) has been mooted.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by Celgar »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
greengiant wrote:
So how / when do you check redirections / keep safes when bench merging?
Apparently, that will be automated and the machines will do it.
So the machine will pick out mail to be redirected, put them in redirection bags, and apply a sticker ??
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New Delivery Method trials

Post by Celgar »

smileski wrote:You really couldn't make this stuff up could you?

If I didn't have to prep my sequenced mail everyday, I agree, I would 'save' around 25 mins a day.

However what doesn't seem to have been taken into account is just how long it will take to merge unsequenced mail into a pile of loose mail on a bench! just flicking through the pile to do redirections sounds so awkward. Do they actually realise how many packets we are dealing with on a daily basis? For every packet we will have to flick through the mail on the bench to find the right place to put a card or turn a letter. Then adding flats and smaller packets will make the ever increasing line of mail so topsy turvey, bagging it up will be a nightmare, surely? I can see all these potential problems because I have been delivering mail for 18 years, this whole concept sounds absolutely ridiculous. Also, with the frames still being in place (to prep the unsequenced) surely everyone will just revert to the easier quicker way!
My thinking exactly. Logically speaking our current method is the optimum and has been used pretty much since RM began.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.