ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
You’ll be fine if you have the right mind set,it is a good job if your looked after and managed fairly,lots of negatives on here from posties like me that have done a fair few years,and know what it was like,happy to move with the times ,that’s inevitable,but it’s a bit of a lottery from office to office,you won’t know any different as a new starter,and will be interesting to see how your managed,keep the faith and do your job properly,post on here any issues you can’t get an answer from at work ,people on here will be glad to give advice,
-
Jack1960
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 333
- Joined: 05 Jan 2016, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Have done over 40 years on delivery, bike and trolley, never driven and I do overtime every day I can. I love it, forget the doom and gloom merchants on here. It’s a great job and a lot easier than it used to be. Enjoy it and always shave the night before.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
I think a fair percentage if not a majority of the workforce are happy with their job. The problem is we always seem to be on a war footing. A lot of the people at the top especially Peter Long really need to resign as their activities within and outside RM are really starting to drag us into the gutter. If we can get past the trials on prep methods and not have any of RMs disastrous proposals implemented then we will be alright. If they get what they want that may be the nail in the coffin and experienced staff will likely flee the sinking ship.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
It’s a never ending constant, daily confrontational battle ! In delivery.
If you can cope with, ( every working day ), intransigent bosses that never listen to any logic or reasoning ,if you bow in total servitude while they spew out intimidating abuse designed to make you feel inadequate, you will do fine !
If you can cope with, ( every working day ), intransigent bosses that never listen to any logic or reasoning ,if you bow in total servitude while they spew out intimidating abuse designed to make you feel inadequate, you will do fine !
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
I loved being a postie,the best and most enjoyable job I ever had,that is until the last couple of years or so where I was made to hate the job I had loved for so many years by the way I was treated and spoken to by so called managers who had no man management skills whatsoever. I used to look forward to going in to work,but in the end I just dreaded it,not knowing if it was going to end in confrontation with them if I was unable to complete my delivery or do my lapsing,so in the end I had to get out as I just couldnt take anymore.
So to answer your question I was and I repeat was so happy being a postie,and I suppose in a way I will always resent them for how I was treated in the last few years,so all you posties out there with good managers,you are so lucky,and I bet the job still gets done,so why do others have to be so bloody nasty to their workforce just goes beyond me.
So to answer your question I was and I repeat was so happy being a postie,and I suppose in a way I will always resent them for how I was treated in the last few years,so all you posties out there with good managers,you are so lucky,and I bet the job still gets done,so why do others have to be so bloody nasty to their workforce just goes beyond me.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Look at the levels of staff turnover, relatively tiny for a company the size of the Royal Mail. It's a great job; the gaffers can make life difficult and it's difficult to get your head around the constant chances of delivery methods bla bla but it's good. Virtually everybody I know that has done different jobs before Royal Mail say it's a very cushy number, and the money for what we do is excellent. Good luck.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
The level of incompetence within RMs HR department is immense and it is very difficult to get vacancies filled. The good applicants that actually want to work more often than not are kept waiting far too long with little communication and invariably find jobs elsewhere before RM get back to them. They are loads of additional & unnecessary rules that hold up the process and leave DOs short-staffed for far longer than needs to be the case. Yet another part of RM that needs an overhaul but won't get one. Too busy trying to fix other parts of the job that are not broken.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
The job usually becomes so much better once you have fifteen to twenty years seniority and you become part of a fresh repick.
Moving from dogsbody to rarely-moved-duty-holder made all the difference for me.
Moving from dogsbody to rarely-moved-duty-holder made all the difference for me.
-
pex
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
The way forums seem to work is the moaners are always the majority voice, example Trip Advisor, people posting pictures of a hair in the hotel bathroom yet they are content to live in their own mess at home.
I was thinking exactly as you why would I want this job but I did give it a go and six months in am still enjoying it having faced every extreme weather condition there is.
The management are no problem in my large office, you work extra you get payed for it, some do there fixed hours only and some take all the extra work they can get. The management allowed time for newbies to get up to speed and most seasoned posties except you will improve with time.
It is daunting at first with a lot to learn but most people will give helpful advice if asked and you will get faster, get a lot fitter so less tired and after 3 or 4 months most aspects sort of click into place.
Heavy rain is the only thing that is a pain to deal with but keep a opened mind and enjot the ride.
I was thinking exactly as you why would I want this job but I did give it a go and six months in am still enjoying it having faced every extreme weather condition there is.
The management are no problem in my large office, you work extra you get payed for it, some do there fixed hours only and some take all the extra work they can get. The management allowed time for newbies to get up to speed and most seasoned posties except you will improve with time.
It is daunting at first with a lot to learn but most people will give helpful advice if asked and you will get faster, get a lot fitter so less tired and after 3 or 4 months most aspects sort of click into place.
Heavy rain is the only thing that is a pain to deal with but keep a opened mind and enjot the ride.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
it depends on what office you work in and what the Dom is like. The money is good and there's always plenty of overtime if you want it. Once you've worked in RM for a while you'll get your own walk which makes the job a lot easier. You get holiday pay , sick pay ( after 12 months). Free uniform. I don't work for RM anymore ( retired) I miss the banter and comeradery. But most of the management now are a bunch of c... nts. good luck!
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Make it clear the hours you are able to work and you'll have a good time. I love the job, it's perfect for family time and the pay really is good.
You get a 50p pay rise after 6 months and 12 months if you hadn't been told already.
You get a 50p pay rise after 6 months and 12 months if you hadn't been told already.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Very good job it takes a month to get in the swing of things. Wish i had done it years ago when the pension was great, hope you have joined the union that have got us the very good terms and conditions we enjoy. Good luck
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
Nice job, great money, perfect working hours.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
It's a great job ruined by management and always has been. Once you're on you're walk you are you're own boss and can work it as you see fit. The best part is having a laugh and a chat with the customers. That takes a few minutes or so and can take you over you're time slightly but it does honestly make you're day.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Is anybody happy working as a postie on this board ?
bmccoll wrote:It's a great job ruined by management and always has been. Once you're on you're walk you are you're own boss and can work it as you see fit. The best part is having a laugh and a chat with the customers. That takes a few minutes or so and can take you over you're time slightly but it does honestly make you're day.