ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scan scan scan

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Scan scan scan

Post by twoloops »

Postie_Rob wrote: but if you manually input
You've got too much time on your hands kid? If it don't scan post it. :dance
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Scan scan scan

Post by Celgar »

nara wrote:
If the 2D barcode items haven't been scanned before they get to the DOs then how does 'the system' know how many have arrived for each walk every week and whether or not they have been scanned by us before being delivered??
I think the simple answer is, they don't know.
When they first introduced them and was on everyones backs about the % being delivered on a walk, they must have been scanning them in but since then, they haven't been tracking them much at all is my guess.
They will have the stats on how many there are in the system and the % of these that get scanned at delivery though just the same as signed for.
If you test it out and not scan a set number of 2D items then check the score with your DOM if they don't already post the scores up each week on the notice board you will find your score is down by that number. I think a large majority of the 2D barcodes either get affixed at the post office or are associated with SD/tracked/recorded etc. But some 2D items are printed out by the sender and are not associated with other services and still managed to be scanned & counted before they reach the DO. So the 2D items are all being scanned by someone or something in the system before we get to deliver them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

Scan scan scan

Post by Grinder64 »

Celgar wrote: To be honest it's not rocket science and all posties could get 100% all the time with these items.
That's quite an optimistic position. I'm often finding that 2D items will not scan because of issues such as the code sticker being placed overlapping the corner of a parcel; smudged, wrinkled or defaced labels or even sometimes when the label seems perfectly clear and legible it just will not register & you get the 'fail' beep and '9 is not a valid barcode'. I don't have the inclination to concern myself with performance scores so I simply deliver the item and move on... :cuppa
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Scan scan scan

Post by NewPostieUK »

I understood that they all go along a conveyor belt, or various conveyor belt's, with an overhead scanner that scans all bar codes.

2D codes contain the address, so it won't be hard for the software to show how many each duty has.

The manager will put up a print out saying my duty had 20 on a particular day, and I scanned 15. He says if the mail centre can scan them, I can scan them.

My argument is, a lot of codes become unscannable, between the mail centre and the doorstep, damp, smudged, creased etc. I haven't got time to smooth down every barcode on a jiffy bag. Or my scanner is s**t, I reckon about quarter won't scan.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12198
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Scan scan scan

Post by SpacePhoenix »

NewPostieUK wrote:I understood that they all go along a conveyor belt, or various conveyor belt's, with an overhead scanner that scans all bar codes.

2D codes contain the address, so it won't be hard for the software to show how many each duty has.

The manager will put up a print out saying my duty had 20 on a particular day, and I scanned 15. He says if the mail centre can scan them, I can scan them.

My argument is, a lot of codes become unscannable, between the mail centre and the doorstep, damp, smudged, creased etc. I haven't got time to smooth down every barcode on a jiffy bag. Or my scanner is s**t, I reckon about quarter won't scan.
For most items with barcodes when the postage is paid for/generated and the address label printed it probably sends the address it's going to off to some central server, which probably counts the number of items per walk
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Scan scan scan

Post by NewPostieUK »

SpacePhoenix wrote: For most items with barcodes when the postage is paid for/generated and the address label printed it probably sends the address it's going to off to some central server, which probably counts the number of items per walk
But would they know which day it will be out for delivery that early in the proceeds?