ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unfit or is it the job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Jpro747 »

I find this job bloody knackering. I consider myself fit, eat healthy, and I’m only in my early 30s! A lot of the older posties have various ailments, back issues, knee replacements etc, a few take painkillers daily just to cope. Others rely on caffeine to get them through the day. This job isn’t good for you long term.
CC22
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by CC22 »

You're not unfit at all. Someone once said to me "there's fit...and then there's postie fit". It's a damn hard job, and it takes it's toll on the body. Also looking for another job as my back just can't hack it.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by hothothot »

If you do this job for 20 to 30 years today you will end up in a wheelchair ie bad feet , knees , hips , back , shoulders. I've done 20 years and ive had to take i.h.r with back problems etc.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by rambo1 »

Many people say ooh , you're a postie that'll keep you fit. I say, not really. It'll wear you out, and although walking is good for keeping your bone density in older age, cardio wise, you're not really working. It could be good for weight loss if you eat regularly on your duty, the right sort of food and don't just stuff your face when you get home and collapse on the sofa.
I always notice how much quicker and stronger I feel training on my bike after a week annual leave. I find it takes a week to feel my energy levels rising again, it's like a delayed reaction. I'm only looking at doing another few yrs and taking early retirement. Don't know how some people do the overtime they do and still have energy for a life away from work. Maybe they don't. I work to live ,not the other way round. Life really is too short and you never know when the end will come so ,for me , hopefully freedom from work won't be too far away.
I do the job right, never rush round and still, it wears you out.
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by south London postie »

I know it sounds a bit daft but I find postie fit the wrong kind of 'fit'. Trudging around for 4 hours is one thing, but a decent cardio workout is something very different and far more valuable to your body. It also energises where the trudging just wears you out, and down.

Also with proper cardio you stretch and might even find a mental calmness for a while. It's better than nothing but I don't find the work a postie does good exercise.
mailroyaly
Posts: 129
Joined: 15 Feb 2008, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: over there

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by mailroyaly »

hothothot wrote:If you do this job for 20 to 30 years today you will end up in a wheelchair ie bad feet , knees , hips , back , shoulders. I've done 20 years and ive had to take i.h.r with back problems etc.
No doubt being a postman takes it's toll on your body & definitely your health is more important than this job.
I think when your body tell's you it's time to give it up, that's exactly what you should do and don't be afraid to move on to something else less demanding.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

Thank you to all that have posted a reply. I'm kind of glad it's not just me that feel a like this. But feel for you all.
I look around at people who have been there for years, some can barely walk. I don't want to end up like that. I'm lucky in that I have this oppurtunity to retrain and my family are behind me.
As much as your health is more important, sometimes I know it's not as easy as that. Good luck to all of you that can make that leap.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Brandy »

No you are not unfit,its just the job slowly knackering the hard working posties. I honestly dont think those in the RM ivory towers have any idea how hard the job is. Wouldnt it be great to see them do a posties job for even a week,wonder how many could do it? Or how many would want to do it when they realise how hard it is. :hmmmm
Wednesday
Posts: 143
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Wednesday »

Stopped reading after "I'm a runner" :nana
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by meercat »

Being on delivery is high volume low intensity work and to continue the same weekly volume of long runs is a big ask. You could try upping the tempo of your runs but reducing them to 3-5 k with occasional longer runs to keep the endurance there. Agree delivery is fairly low quality exercise but it's very good for your endurance base which is a great start-off point for overall fitness when combined with high intensity workouts. A 20 min nap after work if you can manage it can be very beneficial. Or just become a manager and problem solved.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by postslippete »

meercat wrote: Or just become a manager and problem solved.

Do that and you will definitely be unfit!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by rambo1 »

postslippete wrote:
meercat wrote: Or just become a manager and problem solved.

Do that and you will definitely be unfit!!
Nah coz you'll be that fresh from basically doing next to nothing for a few hrs before going home and being able to do the training you can't do now coz yer stuffed when you drag your weary body through your door at 4pm.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by postmanzach »

The job is tiring, we got 6 hour walks in our office. 10-12 miles walking on most rounds. Always take meal breaks and don’t have TOO much booze in the week!

Mind you down here in the far south west it has been hot up to 25 but not silly hot like has been up in Surrey and Kent. f-that! I’d be using some sick leave.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We've been arguing over this Old Chestnut in the office for many years. Does being a Postie make you fit? I think the general consensus is NO! :sad: It would be interesting if some Young Bright thing decided to do a study of the subject.... Instead of just us "Enthusiastic Amateurs" listing our ailments. :Boo hoo!

IMO the job may be good for building stamina/endurance but we're not really working fast enough for a good cardio workout. It's just a daily grind. :thumbdown People often say, "This must be a good job... my wife and me like a bit of walking. How far do you walk a day"......I'll tell them about 8 miles....."Oh we often do about 10-15 miles".... Well that's 8 miles a day, Every day ..... Then there's next week.... Then there's the rest of the Month..... and then the rest of Year....... "Well when you look at like that I suppose it is a lot of mileage"
Bloody Right Mate. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Janet Brum »

Don`t forget to tell them about the heavy bags, big parcels, dangerous sharp / low leterboxes, dogs, spider webs and all the other perks of the job :d'oh!