ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lapsing
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Seriously what part of work to your finish time do people not get . It’s irrelevant how much you are asked to lapse in fact the more the better , it’s more to bring back . Stop crying about you can’t complete and just finish on time . So many posties blame the union for everything yet do nothing to help themselves.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
I think the main problem is lack of awareness, something the union could tackle a little more. Carpet bombing “work to rule, work to time, here’s the overrunning procedure” would be a start.chickenwittle wrote:Seriously what part of work to your finish time do people not get . It’s irrelevant how much you are asked to lapse in fact the more the better , it’s more to bring back . Stop crying about you can’t complete and just finish on time . So many posties blame the union for everything yet do nothing to help themselves.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
I can understand that for new starters but not guys that have been in the job for a few years , why panic about lapsing when it doesn’t effect your official finishing time anyway.LaggyBand wrote:I think the main problem is lack of awareness, something the union could tackle a little more. Carpet bombing “work to rule, work to time, here’s the overrunning procedure” would be a start.chickenwittle wrote:Seriously what part of work to your finish time do people not get . It’s irrelevant how much you are asked to lapse in fact the more the better , it’s more to bring back . Stop crying about you can’t complete and just finish on time . So many posties blame the union for everything yet do nothing to help themselves.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Well you need and should get more lapsing work to do !number one wrote:My round if shown as the one with the largest Delivery time (9:30hrs, between 2 of us so 4:45hrs each) I can still get it done by 13:00 most days, thats with lapsing. Tuesdays I’m done for 12:00
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
jchickenwittle wrote:Seriously what part of work to your finish time do people not get . It’s irrelevant how much you are asked to lapse in fact the more the better , it’s more to bring back . Stop crying about you can’t complete and just finish on time . So many posties blame the union for everything yet do nothing to help themselves.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Good point !Brandy wrote:What lapsing do managers do?
If there is less work to do due to falling mail volume, why/how does that impact on managers work load in filling ALL their paid hours!
Do they lapse a linos duty, do they lapse as DOMs duty, do they lapse a DSMs duty.???
It surely effects the workload of ALL RM employees from the top downwards.
Never heard about any lapsing of the fat cats work within RM.!!!
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
The managers 20mins lapsing is going round the office arguing with us about lapsing!
It really is simple though. If you don't have time don't do it.
I work with guys who come in 15-20mins early every day. Then immediately get worked up about lapsing.
They then agree to do it and don't take their break because they feel pressured into lapsing. But it's self pressure.
I'm not militant I don't get into arguments I just come in on my time and tell them I won't have time to lapse. End of argument. After a few occasions they soon realise they're wasting their time.
But for those who are sick of the arguments just remind them that Oct isn't too far away and when the traffic picks up it won't just be your lapsing that will need covering.
It really is simple though. If you don't have time don't do it.
I work with guys who come in 15-20mins early every day. Then immediately get worked up about lapsing.
They then agree to do it and don't take their break because they feel pressured into lapsing. But it's self pressure.
I'm not militant I don't get into arguments I just come in on my time and tell them I won't have time to lapse. End of argument. After a few occasions they soon realise they're wasting their time.
But for those who are sick of the arguments just remind them that Oct isn't too far away and when the traffic picks up it won't just be your lapsing that will need covering.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
I suspect all this lapsing is to try and condition us with what the big cheeses envisage for us in future - bigger outdoor delivery spans. So as long as all offices are lapsing - regardless of whether they paid half a dozen sorters to come in early on overtime or if it gets cleared - then the managers can clearly show that we all working towards this one plan, one wave and one large, humongous delivery span.
Because managers are reluctant to deliver, because the company are reluctant to use agencies, because the company are reluctant to spend money paying staff to do overtime for lapsing all leads to an far inferior service, and to my mind its getting worse. Like whats the point in recruiting more managers that can't do anything about the above!!
Because managers are reluctant to deliver, because the company are reluctant to use agencies, because the company are reluctant to spend money paying staff to do overtime for lapsing all leads to an far inferior service, and to my mind its getting worse. Like whats the point in recruiting more managers that can't do anything about the above!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
One wave isn't viable unless what's currently wave 2 of sequencing is either just walk sorted or sent as manual to a DO.postslippete wrote:then the managers can clearly show that we all working towards this one plan, one wave and one large, humongous delivery span.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
I get what you are saying SpacePhoenix. What would be the point of sending the wave 2s down to offices as manual for us to sort? Surely the idea is to save us indoor time?
I can't see this one wave idea working unless Royal Mail really want to sacrifice its own Quality of Service. And judging from what I've seen with mail/packets being left in frames and managers not being accountable for wilful delay, then that is what is going to happen.
I can't see this one wave idea working unless Royal Mail really want to sacrifice its own Quality of Service. And judging from what I've seen with mail/packets being left in frames and managers not being accountable for wilful delay, then that is what is going to happen.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Since Network 18 we seem to be sending way more of it manual anywaypostslippete wrote:I get what you are saying SpacePhoenix. What would be the point of sending the wave 2s down to offices as manual for us to sort? Surely the idea is to save us indoor time?
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
kinda wondering if its almost too late for that, i mean if they suddenly use trolleys, the question the manager should be asking is why they werent using them before....Shedend wrote:Most OPG's have the answer to lapsing sitting in the back of their vans covered in cobwebs,it is called a trolley. Get that out and use it.
-
MinTee
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Because people wanted to finish early. Now that’s not really an option anymore there’s no reason why people shouldn’t be using them. Get over the fact you’re not going home at 11am and just crack on. Funnily enough since I started using them I have more energy in the evenings and can actually stay awake past 9amPostie45 wrote:kinda wondering if its almost too late for that, i mean if they suddenly use trolleys, the question the manager should be asking is why they werent using them before....Shedend wrote:Most OPG's have the answer to lapsing sitting in the back of their vans covered in cobwebs,it is called a trolley. Get that out and use it.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
There is only one Dingo.......Dingo99 wrote:Hi guys just wanted to know can management get away with lapsing all week? Most weeks we have had the Wednesday without lapsing and that is it. I have yet to see this magically lighter period in the summer, every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, even Saturdays are not that light, anyway Monday can sometimes complete, Tuesday always can, and so can Saturday but Wednesday and Thursday are manic. We simply don't have the time in our hours for 2 breaks and completing lapsing on heavy days without going over. Whenever I try to claim o.t I always get "you got back early Tuesday" thrown in my face even my numpty colleagues as much as I like them keep saying oh well you got back at 1 Tuesday so now you owe Royal Mail ex amount of hours. Really gets on my nerves sick of telling them banking of hours is not allowed but the DOMs won't pay it. My colleague phoned the area rep and all we get out of her (never turns up when she says she will) is overtime is not mandatory (which we know) and you can cut off. I don't wanna leave mail in the frame or bring stuff back also because they say you have to do your lapsing first (I'm guessing this is down to if whole office cuts off they ensure that all the lapsing is done so they only get "part" failures on everybodies duties) and then they say whatever you left in the frame you have to do first the next day. Seriously had enough of this job, in our office we have I think 11 duties so a small office this means with lapsing we get on average 80 delivery points extra which translates usually into 20-35 minutes on top. We had some leave cover DIM telling us how other offices get 40 drops!!! Really is a fecking joke sorry for this rant but I have had enough still looking for a full time job out of this madness!!
Thanks guys,
Dingo99 (Dan)
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.