ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by number one »

citypostie wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
fishtank wrote:
The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.

How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
So I can just drag my feet, stretch my round out and bring back 2 rows? As long as I am upto my time it matters not? It’s either to “balance the workload” or not. If not the they need to stop saying it is. It seems to be about the good workers doing more work.
They’d only be doing more work if it took them longer. That’s the point now.

Read “balance the workload” as “balance finish times”.
And that's what my dom said to me the other day. Royal mail want him to put more work on people who get done early because his words "they have a go" . He's fighting it and saying the office will fail every day if he has to put more work on "good employees" his words again. He's already said that if he could use the PDA actuals for conduct issues he could have plenty of people for taking unofficial 10 minute breaks between loops then either claiming or cutting off but the process is so drawn out that his boss says it's easier to send people back out who finish early

The trouble with that is I can guarantee it would only happen once. So them what? The DOM keeps some mail to one side for the people who get back early and nobody does. Do they then try and get it covered on overtime? Who’s going to do that?
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by citypostie »

number one wrote:
citypostie wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
fishtank wrote:
The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.

How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
So I can just drag my feet, stretch my round out and bring back 2 rows? As long as I am upto my time it matters not? It’s either to “balance the workload” or not. If not the they need to stop saying it is. It seems to be about the good workers doing more work.
They’d only be doing more work if it took them longer. That’s the point now.

Read “balance the workload” as “balance finish times”.
And that's what my dom said to me the other day. Royal mail want him to put more work on people who get done early because his words "they have a go" . He's fighting it and saying the office will fail every day if he has to put more work on "good employees" his words again. He's already said that if he could use the PDA actuals for conduct issues he could have plenty of people for taking unofficial 10 minute breaks between loops then either claiming or cutting off but the process is so drawn out that his boss says it's easier to send people back out who finish early

The trouble with that is I can guarantee it would only happen once. So them what? The DOM keeps some mail to one side for the people who get back early and nobody does. Do they then try and get it covered on overtime? Who’s going to do that?
He also said that ! And thats why hes going against what his boss is saying to him
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by loverman shabba »

I voted no before I left :wave
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by MinTee »

They tried to catch me out on lapsing last week. I finished early on Saturday/Monday so I knew I’d get shafted somehow come Wednesday.
Well I prepped an entire walk for lapsing, only for them to bring the plan for it out at 8.30am where it said I was to take some of it out. At which point I noticed 3 people who agreed to do overtime were to ‘prep to finish’ and not take any out, needless to say they prepped f**k all. I complained and got Union in on it but nothing was done.

So I dragged my heels knowing full well I could’ve been done at 12.30, called them up to cut off, and the same prat lino that stitched me up was made to collect and do the lapsing for me.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by robbertwhitton »

Yes I’m hopeful that it will show a true reflection on the hours we work for the majority who have seen the light and do the job correctly in the hours you’re given to do it,it does take a bit of doing but results in a much chilled workforce without the mad rushing about to complete your duty so your first back and get sent out to do more because of this firms inability to attract people into a once fair and rewarding job,as you can see on these forums the low morale is rife,this is a perfect time to make a stand and simply do it properly and now have the back up with the pdas to prove your point,I’m done with listening to his reterick and threats ,the minions have there brainwashed brief and many descent bosses I would like to think are somewhat embarrassed by the culture of fear spreading amongs the fantastic and loyal workforce,
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by robbertwhitton »

Just a question,do the pdas just come with the strap for you to carry or is there a holster type carry facilities as it is a bit delicate to the touch and sets off all manner of menus,I think if we had a user friendly strap or carry system to be easy to carry around with you all the time for better accurate data
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by Celgar »

robbertwhitton wrote:Just a question,do the pdas just come with the strap for you to carry or is there a holster type carry facilities as it is a bit delicate to the touch and sets off all manner of menus,I think if we had a user friendly strap or carry system to be easy to carry around with you all the time for better accurate data
Yes there are two different types available which your DOM can order for you. There is a box type one made of stiffened fabric that attaches to the top band of your trousers or belt. The other type sounds better and is a shoulder holster similar to those you see some detectives/cops wearing in the movies.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by MinTee »

God knows how PDA actuals are gonna work when it comes to Christmas. With all that extra work that gets is WILFULLY Delayed by management. All that extra work that they beg you to do as overtime. I sure hope they don’t expect me to bust my arse until 6pm everyday cause I know if we get rid of our special arrangements then no one will be doing it.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by Celgar »

MinTee wrote:God knows how PDA actuals are gonna work when it comes to Christmas. With all that extra work that gets is WILFULLY Delayed by management. All that extra work that they beg you to do as overtime. I sure hope they don’t expect me to bust my arse until 6pm everyday cause I know if we get rid of our special arrangements then no one will be doing it.
Last Christmas the service we offer as regards Xmas cards went right down the toilet with packets & parcels being prioritised and Yorks fulls of card left to stack up. PDA actuals data won't show that kind of thing happening though. There are exemptions with the postal regulator for Xmas time service so I won't be surprised if PDA actuals data for December and maybe even November is disregarded and lost somewhere. RM don't really want data that tells them we need more staff and duty hours to get the job done.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by Celgar »

robbertwhitton wrote:Just a question,do the pdas just come with the strap for you to carry or is there a holster type carry facilities as it is a bit delicate to the touch and sets off all manner of menus,I think if we had a user friendly strap or carry system to be easy to carry around with you all the time for better accurate data
I agree the additional and largely unused menu & apps that continually popup are a right pain. If you press the on/off button at the top lightly the screen goes black & I don't think anything can be activated then. A full charge is usually more than enough but having the screen black might save on power consumption as well.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by arnold cheshire »

Nothing will happen blue eyed will still get home early
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by franco1 »

Keep it in my pocket switched off then take out to scan switch off and back in pocket. Otherwise the thing goes all over the place.
scooby
Posts: 287
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: lost some where.....

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by scooby »

Been in about 3 weeks now and nowt as changed
A2B
Posts: 2033
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by A2B »

scooby wrote:Been in about 3 weeks now and nowt as changed
It will :thumbdown
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

PDA actuals people's thoughts

Post by MinTee »

scooby wrote:Been in about 3 weeks now and nowt as changed
I’ve preemptively changed, I know change is coming and so I’ve been working correctly and how they want me to. I’ve already noticed I’ve been getting screwed over if I finish early a couple times, so much for not using it against the individual.

Jokes on management though, put me on a long walk with someone who isn’t known for their speed. Forgetting parcels every loop. To top it off, we got hammered with oversized today, come finish time still had 27 parcels left to deliver and half a loop.

Getting tired of management begging and badgering with overtime though.