Yep, they're called linosSpacePhoenix wrote:Do DOs have enough reserves for that to happen?crimson king wrote:I'm probably being daft, but couldn't you have some reserves on standby to mop up the specials and any other time sensitive items like tracked?SpacePhoenix wrote:Wouldn't work, you'd fail the specials and you'd get a sizeable chunk of work in after 7clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
It's also unbearably hot in other work environments too. When I worked on a mental health ward, I would have to watch patients on a 121. It was too warm in the room as it had old style Windows that turned it into like a greenhouse. Patients would complain it's too cold and can feel a draft and want them closed. Not allowed air conditioning or a fan.
I'm sure firefighters would roll their eyes at this thread!
I'm sure firefighters would roll their eyes at this thread!
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Two weeks into the job, first week was great, I managed my rounds, I was tired but well within the time expected. Week two and scorching hot weather, I struggled...going through bottles and bottles of water, severe blisters on my feet due to the heat and my feet swelling in my trainers (not RM regulation footwear, not provided). Had to take 2 days off as I had heat stroke and couldn't walk properly because of my feet being badly blistered. I couldn't even get my shoes on. I'm now being questioned on my capability to do my job. Being told that it's a very physically demanding job. I wouldn't have accepted the job role if I didn't think I was capable of doing it. But give me a break, still adjusting to the fast pace of it all and in one of the hottest summers on record. Being told by my line manager that taking 2 days of sick because I had blisters (LM in 30 years, I've never had anyone go off sick with blisters) that at my 6 month review my absences will not go in my favour. So basically I'll be sacked in 6 months. They are trying to bully me into handing in my resignation....telling me I'm not but out for the job. #discrimination
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
We fail Specials in extreme winter weather. The world doesn't end.SpacePhoenix wrote:Wouldn't work, you'd fail the specials and you'd get a sizeable chunk of work in after 7clashcityrocker wrote:All they need to do is stop sorting at 7, then tie up and go.
When you get back you could sort the second wave and IPS ready for the next day.
When the heatwave is over you go back to normal.
We fail mail when it is icy. Why can't we fail mail when it is dangerously hot?
In some circumstances the guarantee is withdrawn. We fail them when we take industrial action or managers are sent out to do them.
The world doesn't end.
The "sizeable chunk of work" would get done a day later. Just like it would in extreme winter weather or after industrial action.
The world doesn't end. And most of it is junk mail or bills they constantly tell us they don't want anyway.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Chris413
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
This heat hasn't been fair for us new trialists, what with getting fit enough to do the round, then chuck this extreme heat on top, then to find out the heat is messing with an existing medical condition and having to take time off. I bet they don't take this into consideration when it comes to the end of our trials. I need this job so badly for my family but now scared I won't get through.
-
ewancurze
- Posts: 400
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
"Similar" thing happened to me when I started, it was just before Christmas and my first day out alone, I didn't know the walk and went over by about an hour, on asking my lovely lino at the time how I claim O/T she said I won't get it because I am not up to standard....I said it is the week before Christmas, busy, and I AM up to standard! She then said that I may need retraining if I couldn't go any quicker, I said "How much training do I need to put paper through letterboxes" (Job was simpler then)....they paid me.CC22 wrote:Two weeks into the job, first week was great, I managed my rounds, I was tired but well within the time expected. Week two and scorching hot weather, I struggled...going through bottles and bottles of water, severe blisters on my feet due to the heat and my feet swelling in my trainers (not RM regulation footwear, not provided). Had to take 2 days off as I had heat stroke and couldn't walk properly because of my feet being badly blistered. I couldn't even get my shoes on. I'm now being questioned on my capability to do my job. Being told that it's a very physically demanding job. I wouldn't have accepted the job role if I didn't think I was capable of doing it. But give me a break, still adjusting to the fast pace of it all and in one of the hottest summers on record. Being told by my line manager that taking 2 days of sick because I had blisters (LM in 30 years, I've never had anyone go off sick with blisters) that at my 6 month review my absences will not go in my favour. So basically I'll be sacked in 6 months. They are trying to bully me into handing in my resignation....telling me I'm not but out for the job. #discrimination
This was 14 years ago, I am even more popular now!
And she still hates me.
And me her.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
I should not worry about getting sacked after 6 months. I've heard of new starts losing specials while in probation or writing vans off following a rtc. And they still got through their probation.CC22 wrote:Two weeks into the job, first week was great, I managed my rounds, I was tired but well within the time expected. Week two and scorching hot weather, I struggled...going through bottles and bottles of water, severe blisters on my feet due to the heat and my feet swelling in my trainers (not RM regulation footwear, not provided). Had to take 2 days off as I had heat stroke and couldn't walk properly because of my feet being badly blistered. I couldn't even get my shoes on. I'm now being questioned on my capability to do my job. Being told that it's a very physically demanding job. I wouldn't have accepted the job role if I didn't think I was capable of doing it. But give me a break, still adjusting to the fast pace of it all and in one of the hottest summers on record. Being told by my line manager that taking 2 days of sick because I had blisters (LM in 30 years, I've never had anyone go off sick with blisters) that at my 6 month review my absences will not go in my favour. So basically I'll be sacked in 6 months. They are trying to bully me into handing in my resignation....telling me I'm not but out for the job. #discrimination
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
I wouldn't worry. Tha managers try to pressure you as for some reason they think bullying, intimidation and fear are better motivators than encouragement, guidance and decent leadership.Chris413 wrote:This heat hasn't been fair for us new trialists, what with getting fit enough to do the round, then chuck this extreme heat on top, then to find out the heat is messing with an existing medical condition and having to take time off. I bet they don't take this into consideration when it comes to the end of our trials. I need this job so badly for my family but now scared I won't get through.
In the end, because the job is physical, and not as easy as most people think, the manager knows they need you more than you need them. They get rid of you they have to go through the recruitment process again, and that takes time, and the percentage of new starters quitting is very high even for a well-paid job.
At my office we had a casual that kept coming in 30 minutes late, going sick and making loads of mistakes. They have been offered a permanent position because it will be cheaper than trying to get a replacement trained up.
Let the manager be the ducks' feet paddling away like crazy, and become the ducks back and let everything wash off. Become a Zen Postal master.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
I know they can't sack me because of having 2 days unpaid sick leave. The only thing they can sack me for without notice is gross misconduct. The only misconduct going on here is my lino being a DICK. I have heard so many stories from colleagues about the management, and the fact that they don't give a toss about their staff. We're treated like cattle. Its sad really, for a company as big as RM, you'd expect better.greengiant wrote:I should not worry about getting sacked after 6 months. I've heard of new starts losing specials while in probation or writing vans off following a rtc. And they still got through their probation.CC22 wrote:Two weeks into the job, first week was great, I managed my rounds, I was tired but well within the time expected. Week two and scorching hot weather, I struggled...going through bottles and bottles of water, severe blisters on my feet due to the heat and my feet swelling in my trainers (not RM regulation footwear, not provided). Had to take 2 days off as I had heat stroke and couldn't walk properly because of my feet being badly blistered. I couldn't even get my shoes on. I'm now being questioned on my capability to do my job. Being told that it's a very physically demanding job. I wouldn't have accepted the job role if I didn't think I was capable of doing it. But give me a break, still adjusting to the fast pace of it all and in one of the hottest summers on record. Being told by my line manager that taking 2 days of sick because I had blisters (LM in 30 years, I've never had anyone go off sick with blisters) that at my 6 month review my absences will not go in my favour. So basically I'll be sacked in 6 months. They are trying to bully me into handing in my resignation....telling me I'm not but out for the job. #discrimination
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
I hope you metaphorically dropped the mic after you typed that...
This is the best thing I've seen posted on here. Ever.
We need tee shirts. "Become the Duck's Back"
Brilliant. You, Sir, have made my weekend.
Let the manager be the ducks' feet paddling away like crazy, and become the ducks back and let everything wash off. Become a Zen Postal master.
I hope you metaphorically dropped the mic after you typed that...
This is the best thing I've seen posted on here. Ever.
We need tee shirts. "Become the Duck's Back"
Brilliant. You, Sir, have made my weekend.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Agreed, quote and a half that. Bravocrimson king wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Let the manager be the ducks' feet paddling away like crazy, and become the ducks back and let everything wash off. Become a Zen Postal master.![]()
I hope you metaphorically dropped the mic after you typed that...
This is the best thing I've seen posted on here. Ever.
We need tee shirts. "Become the Duck's Back"
Brilliant. You, Sir, have made my weekend.
-
Ambull
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 13:43
- Gender: Female
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Ditto.CC22 wrote:Agreed, quote and a half that. Bravocrimson king wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Let the manager be the ducks' feet paddling away like crazy, and become the ducks back and let everything wash off. Become a Zen Postal master.![]()
I hope you metaphorically dropped the mic after you typed that...
This is the best thing I've seen posted on here. Ever.
We need tee shirts. "Become the Duck's Back"
Brilliant. You, Sir, have made my weekend.
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Not sure why firemen keep getting brought into this.
Firemen aren't out in this weather day in day out.
Yes they put fires out but I has 2 friends who are firemen and they spend most of their time saving cats or playing snooker. When they are asked to save people they do fantastic jobs but it's not a constant thing like we are currently doing.
Firemen aren't out in this weather day in day out.
Yes they put fires out but I has 2 friends who are firemen and they spend most of their time saving cats or playing snooker. When they are asked to save people they do fantastic jobs but it's not a constant thing like we are currently doing.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
never ever seen a fireman work 5 hours in over 30 degree's heat, let alone for weeks on end.
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Union's position on working in extreme heat?
Well said, greatest respect for our firefighters.... They save lives. But us posties work our asses off, in all weather. Its a thankless job.miles_peters wrote:never ever seen a fireman work 5 hours in over 30 degree's heat, let alone for weeks on end.