ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12179
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Shedend wrote:The work is counted in each DO as it arrives from the MC as we cannot trust their figures or the forecast workload.
I'm sure the traffic forecasting for what night shift is due to get in is just a random number generator, some centuary they might get it anywhere near accurate. Soon the traffic values you get through from your local MC won't have part fills, it'll just be whole boxes/sleeves/yorks
Shedend wrote:We have some big changes coming to deal with increased mechanisation,new products, new ways of working and all in the face of declining workload. There are many, many reps out there that do a great job whist dealing with managers that want to take us on at every opportunity and it is far from an easy task. Some decisions in the future will be based on actual facts ie with the introduction of PDA actuals. So the membership need to be prepared for some harsh choices.
For some mail streams I think we could end up with less mechanisation. I can't see the flat sorting machines being use for that many years before RM get rid of them. Judging by the amount of packets, manual and mech letters we get through in boxes of flats from MCs that have them machines, they can't have enough flats going through to justify having them machines.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by General Mannerheim »

This is how they usually go.
ham sandwich, pot of tea, manager agrees with everything said at meeting, manager goes back to office, totally ignores everything he just agreed with.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Shedend
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 07:52
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by Shedend »

General Mannerheim wrote:This is how they usually go.
ham sandwich, pot of tea, manager agrees with everything said at meeting, manager goes back to office, totally ignores everything he just agreed with.
That is why no changes can be made once agreed in the resource meeting.
Shedend
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 07:52
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by Shedend »

Newbie001 wrote:Lol
Do a poll. How many offices lapse extra duty when someone phones sick. Its the norm.
I sometimes wonder if I work in another Royal Mail. its not the norm in my patch. As I said absorption is based on traffic volumes nothing else.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by fishtank »

Shedend wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:Lol
Do a poll. How many offices lapse extra duty when someone phones sick. Its the norm.
I sometimes wonder if I work in another Royal Mail. its not the norm in my patch. As I said absorption is based on traffic volumes nothing else.

Going by your username I'd take a punt you're in London, it's not that you work for a different company, you're just represented by a very different union. Union power comes from the power to organise and mobilise. That's much easier when you're all in one place with national officers on your doorstep.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by postslippete »

We lapse more duties when sick absence is high - its now a known fact. Managers make excuses that they do not have the staff which is total b*llocks when there have often been one or two people willing to work their day off but they have not been called in. The focus is not on lapsing due to workload but on what the mangers can reasonably get away with. However, I've seen walks fail with mail/packets been left for the next day. Managers can't do it, staff don't want to do it. Does it get reported? Maybe it does. My guess a lot of it goes unreported judging by the way our Union Rep behaves with the managers. Then again managers are frequently moved around so no one is responsible for anything! Welcome to the Royal Mail of the 21st Century
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Shedend
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 07:52
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by Shedend »

fishtank wrote:
Shedend wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:Lol
Do a poll. How many offices lapse extra duty when someone phones sick. Its the norm.
I sometimes wonder if I work in another Royal Mail. its not the norm in my patch. As I said absorption is based on traffic volumes nothing else.

Going by your username I'd take a punt you're in London, it's not that you work for a different company, you're just represented by a very different union. Union power comes from the power to organise and mobilise. That's much easier when you're all in one place with national officers on your doorstep.
Fishtank. I am not in London but not to far from it, not close enough for London weighting. It does seem that the union in our part of the world are more together. We don't have National officers on our doorstep. We make sure that RM adhere to national agreements. That agreement is based on traffic and nothing else. We organise our members and we have rural offices to deal with so its not easy.
dmarns
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Oct 2013, 12:16
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by dmarns »

Rather than coming on here to moan about your reps and their perceived incompetence, why don’t you put yourselves forward for the role? The unit reps position is supposed to be an elected role, if you have an issue , don’t be a whingeing armchair activist and actually empower yourself to make change. Incorrect resource meetings are NOT the norm and as soon as you find yourself believing that to be the case you need to act. This “Union is not worth their salt” nonsense, is utterly, utterly pathetic.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by fishtank »

Rather than coming on here to moan about your reps and their perceived incompetence, why don’t you put yourselves forward for the role?
What happens if you do and you're unsuccessful, do you still have to put up with s**t representation?
What happens if you have outside commitments?, do you still have to put up with s**t representation?
What happens if you're part-time and not a chance in hell of becoming rep?

Why do you have to do the job yourself in order to receive what your subs and support of the union should entitle you to. That's pretty f****d up logic.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by estelle »

Fishtank, whilst I agree with your sentiment, I'd point out it is possible for part time people to become reps - they just need the support from their office
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by clashcityrocker »

estelle wrote:Fishtank, whilst I agree with your sentiment, I'd point out it is possible for part time people to become reps - they just need the support from their office
As a part timer virtually the whole work force has left by the time I turn up to work.
If I was to put my name forward as union rep, I am sure most would scratch their heads and ask "who's he?"
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
dmarns
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Oct 2013, 12:16
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by dmarns »

Every member of the Union has the capacity to raise a grievance, whether that’s because they haven’t been elected or they don’t support the incumbent representative. I can’t believe that people are prepared to devolve responsibility based on initially personal shortcomings. Participation must be encouraged and its the fault of the Union that failure is seen as a barrier to ultimate progression. There is so much scapegoating, to say that you haven’t had the opportunity is so, so weak. As a part of a collective there is no excuse.
dmarns
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Oct 2013, 12:16
Gender: Male

any good reps out there ?That does a resource meeting

Post by dmarns »

f****d up logic? You don’t understand what logic is.