ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Safeplace

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by eastie »

Vwtouran wrote:I had a tracked parcel, customer wasn’t in, it said leave behind wheelie bin so that what I did & typed in pda this & took picture,
Then they moan when it gets wet and complain
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Safeplace

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

nuns wrote:is a bin / bin box safe place to leave ?
Unless it can be secured after you leave the parcel then no its not a safe place.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by citypostie »

If it's on a tracked with the safeplace instruction, the customer has deemed it a safeplace for it to be left. If the sender is giving them the option to specify a safeplace I'm guessing that their contract with royal mail will say if we deliver to the safeplace and have photo evidence and a scan if it goes missing it's down to them to compensate and sort it with customer not royal mail. It's like dpd, if you ask for a parcel to be safeplaced you agree that if it goes missing it isn't there problem to sort out. You have to agree to that before they will do it. I'm sure royal mail's contract with firms that offer the safeplace choice will say they offer it at their own liability once we've completed the delivery correctly ie scan and photo

The only parcels you should photograph and leave are tracked with a safeplace instruction boxes filled in. Nothing else. I've had one so far this week, which I photographed and left and typed in the place it was left. Back garden , behind bin
Last edited by citypostie on 20 Jul 2018, 18:17, edited 3 times in total.
Vwtouran
Posts: 95
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by Vwtouran »

eastie wrote:
Vwtouran wrote:I had a tracked parcel, customer wasn’t in, it said leave behind wheelie bin so that what I did & typed in pda this & took picture,
Then they moan when it gets wet and complain
Delivery office is a 14 round trip so most customers are really grateful for leaving parcels in a safe place. We know who to leave parcels for & the awkward customers get to do a 14 mile trip!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Safeplace

Post by k979aaa »

Vwtouran wrote:
eastie wrote:
Vwtouran wrote:I had a tracked parcel, customer wasn’t in, it said leave behind wheelie bin so that what I did & typed in pda this & took picture,
Then they moan when it gets wet and complain
Delivery office is a 14 round trip so most customers are really grateful for leaving parcels in a safe place. We know who to leave parcels for & the awkward customers get to do a 14 mile trip!
Everyone is awkward if they get their parcel nicked or just try it on.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by postslippete »

Vwtouran wrote:
eastie wrote:
Vwtouran wrote:I had a tracked parcel, customer wasn’t in, it said leave behind wheelie bin so that what I did & typed in pda this & took picture,
Then they moan when it gets wet and complain
Delivery office is a 14 round trip so most customers are really grateful for leaving parcels in a safe place. We know who to leave parcels for & the awkward customers get to do a 14 mile trip!

I wouldn't have thought leaving a parcel behind a wheelie bin is that much of a safe place? Its not something that I do because if it ever went missing there would be a very strong possibility of conduct proceedings regardless of what it says on the packet or what the buyer/seller wants. Let them make the 14 mile round trip. If they are not in, then thats problem. We should not be copying Hermes and Yodel by throwing packets over fences and leaving things behind bins because that is what the customer wants. The 'customer' for us isn't necessarily the buyer, its the seller. So when things go missing, its often the seller that loses out and as I used to be a business seller I find that customers want: cheap, fast and...........reliable!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Vwtouran
Posts: 95
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by Vwtouran »

postslippete wrote:
Vwtouran wrote:
eastie wrote:
Vwtouran wrote:I had a tracked parcel, customer wasn’t in, it said leave behind wheelie bin so that what I did & typed in pda this & took picture,
Then they moan when it gets wet and complain
Delivery office is a 14 round trip so most customers are really grateful for leaving parcels in a safe place. We know who to leave parcels for & the awkward customers get to do a 14 mile trip!

I wouldn't have thought leaving a parcel behind a wheelie bin is that much of a safe place? Its not something that I do because if it ever went missing there would be a very strong possibility of conduct proceedings regardless of what it says on the packet or what the buyer/seller wants. Let them make the 14 mile round trip. If they are not in, then thats problem. We should not be copying Hermes and Yodel by throwing packets over fences and leaving things behind bins because that is what the customer wants. The 'customer' for us isn't necessarily the buyer, its the seller. So when things go missing, its often the seller that loses out and as I used to be a business seller I find that customers want: cheap, fast and...........reliable!!
When ordering a parcel from Amazon it gives a option for a safe place & 1 of the options is “leave behind wheelie bin” Amazon shouldn’t be doing this if parcels are going missing I am only doing what has been instructed by Seller & customer!
Vwtouran
Posts: 95
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 18:54
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by Vwtouran »

It says this on Amazon

If you prefer to have your parcel left unattended on your premises, select one of the safe places from the list. Ensure that the safe place you choose is protected from the elements and is guarded from public view to avoid damage and theft.
abuch1980
Posts: 228
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 12:30
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by abuch1980 »

Just another task to slow us down , who the heck has time to stand there in the pissing rain n wind to take pictures of someone's shed or enclosed porch ffs . :coolr :sad:
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

Safeplace

Post by elteleltel »

This " safe place " stuff is so vague that's for sure. We've been told to carry on as before but taking a pic of a not very safe place could well leave you open to disciplinary action . If I can leave it someone can steal it , picture or not ....unless it's locked away
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by nuns »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
nuns wrote:is a bin / bin box safe place to leave ?
Unless it can be secured after you leave the parcel then no its not a safe place.
a porch is as secure as a bin would be, anyone walking past can see it or someone else who knocks at door just slides it open
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Safeplace

Post by bmccoll »

A bit different... a note on the door asked the ASDA deliveryman to leave their groceries in the glass recycle bin. He was delivering 24 cans of coke, and a litre of vodka and a bunch of flowers. Happy anniversary, dear!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Safeplace

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

nuns wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
nuns wrote:is a bin / bin box safe place to leave ?
Unless it can be secured after you leave the parcel then no its not a safe place.
a porch is as secure as a bin would be, anyone walking past can see it or someone else who knocks at door just slides it open
I agree so unless I can lock the porch I don't use it


Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Safeplace

Post by k979aaa »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
nuns wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
nuns wrote:is a bin / bin box safe place to leave ?
Unless it can be secured after you leave the parcel then no its not a safe place.
a porch is as secure as a bin would be, anyone walking past can see it or someone else who knocks at door just slides it open
I agree so unless I can lock the porch I don't use it


Image
Caveat to that if it goes through the letter box in the porch it is the house holders responsibility to ensure their property is secure we do not try doors in RM!
Regal
Posts: 132
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 13:34
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire

Safeplace

Post by Regal »

Im rubbish at taking photos.
I was only able to photo the parcel at close up, no background area in it.
O well i am not a photographer
Neither am i a mechanic,
guess thats why i refuse to do veichle check!
Tomorrow Never Knows