ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA actuals people's thoughts
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
It’s a different mindset. Time to recalibrate. The new metric for how much work you’ve done is time taken. It really is that simple.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
So we need to know what they are actually using it for.
Is it:
Hours worked
Amount of work done in those hours
If it’s hours worked then we can all play the game and drag our feet.
Is it:
Hours worked
Amount of work done in those hours
If it’s hours worked then we can all play the game and drag our feet.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
I’ll illustrate my previous post with the following:
If you take Old Street and New Street, and it takes you half hour to do each, and on a lighter day, I took just New Street, and it took me an hour, then guess what - we did the same amount of work.
That’s how we have to look at it now. Don’t fight it.
If you take Old Street and New Street, and it takes you half hour to do each, and on a lighter day, I took just New Street, and it took me an hour, then guess what - we did the same amount of work.
That’s how we have to look at it now. Don’t fight it.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
PDA actuals people's thoughts
No-one really knows what it is meant for - it will be each individual manager’s interpretation of the information to use as they see fit. Another badly thought out half baked scheme thought up by brainless twats who are bleeding the company dry.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
This is obviously hypothetical but it’s the way the business seems to see itLaggyBand wrote:I’ll illustrate my previous post with the following:
If you take Old Street and New Street, and it takes you half hour to do each, and on a lighter day, I took just New Street, and it took me an hour, then guess what - we did the same amount of work.
That’s how we have to look at it now. Don’t fight it.
Two posties have identical 100 delivery points. One takes 40 minutes to deliver, they other takes 60 minutes. The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
The business sees it as fair because the metric is time.number one wrote:This is obviously hypothetical but it’s the way the business seems to see itLaggyBand wrote:I’ll illustrate my previous post with the following:
If you take Old Street and New Street, and it takes you half hour to do each, and on a lighter day, I took just New Street, and it took me an hour, then guess what - we did the same amount of work.
That’s how we have to look at it now. Don’t fight it.
Two posties have identical 100 delivery points. One takes 40 minutes to deliver, they other takes 60 minutes. The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
Just for the fun of it, imagine the consequences of saying it isn’t fair. It gets awfully complicated in practice if you go that route.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
I think as long as reps are given proper training and access to information then it could be ok. But my suspicion is, it will be used as a branch to beat the non runners.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
So I can just drag my feet, stretch my round out and bring back 2 rows? As long as I am upto my time it matters not? It’s either to “balance the workload” or not. If not the they need to stop saying it is. It seems to be about the good workers doing more work.fishtank wrote:What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
The "good workers" were happy to take more in the past, it's just now they won't be paid any extra for it
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
It's great.
This new technology helps me keep the managers off my back.
I used to get a good move on, ghost half walks like we all did. But those days are gone.
Now I will happily work my hours. But I'm not prepared to be bullied into doing extra. I've had my walk practically double in size over the last 10 years.
For the last 2 summers I've had arguments over the amount of lapsing we've been given. Now I use their tools against them.
Ask your manager what time you're due out if it isn't already posted around your unit. If it is around the unit then let your work take you to that time.
For example our time due out was 935 today. People were flying out of the door at 0900-0915 with their lapsing after not taking a break. At that time I was marking the dogs on my letters and then I did my van checks. I got out at 935 without lapsing and having had my break and was finished at the same time as those who ran out without a break and took extra work.
Some may say I'm dragging my feet but I'm doing everything they expect of me. I'm not going any slower I'm just completing all my jobs. How many of those who criticise the 'slow' guys are doing all these jobs, taking breaks and using lwts? Bet it's not many...
Come in on your time, take your break, target your departure time, complete a jobs that you should be doing, don't work for free, don't run, don't cut across grass, try neighbours if you have time, take your toilet breaks (not a bush), take fluids on board in this weather and lapsing will be gone.
'We' only have ourselves to blame at the minute because too many still have the job and finish mentality which is actually bringing more work to us because it makes it look like the walks are not big enough
This new technology helps me keep the managers off my back.
I used to get a good move on, ghost half walks like we all did. But those days are gone.
Now I will happily work my hours. But I'm not prepared to be bullied into doing extra. I've had my walk practically double in size over the last 10 years.
For the last 2 summers I've had arguments over the amount of lapsing we've been given. Now I use their tools against them.
Ask your manager what time you're due out if it isn't already posted around your unit. If it is around the unit then let your work take you to that time.
For example our time due out was 935 today. People were flying out of the door at 0900-0915 with their lapsing after not taking a break. At that time I was marking the dogs on my letters and then I did my van checks. I got out at 935 without lapsing and having had my break and was finished at the same time as those who ran out without a break and took extra work.
Some may say I'm dragging my feet but I'm doing everything they expect of me. I'm not going any slower I'm just completing all my jobs. How many of those who criticise the 'slow' guys are doing all these jobs, taking breaks and using lwts? Bet it's not many...
Come in on your time, take your break, target your departure time, complete a jobs that you should be doing, don't work for free, don't run, don't cut across grass, try neighbours if you have time, take your toilet breaks (not a bush), take fluids on board in this weather and lapsing will be gone.
'We' only have ourselves to blame at the minute because too many still have the job and finish mentality which is actually bringing more work to us because it makes it look like the walks are not big enough
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
kingeric wrote:It's great.
This new technology helps me keep the managers off my back.
I used to get a good move on, ghost half walks like we all did. But those days are gone.
Now I will happily work my hours. But I'm not prepared to be bullied into doing extra. I've had my walk practically double in size over the last 10 years.
For the last 2 summers I've had arguments over the amount of lapsing we've been given. Now I use their tools against them.
Ask your manager what time you're due out if it isn't already posted around your unit. If it is around the unit then let your work take you to that time.
For example our time due out was 935 today. People were flying out of the door at 0900-0915 with their lapsing after not taking a break. At that time I was marking the dogs on my letters and then I did my van checks. I got out at 935 without lapsing and having had my break and was finished at the same time as those who ran out without a break and took extra work.
Some may say I'm dragging my feet but I'm doing everything they expect of me. I'm not going any slower I'm just completing all my jobs. How many of those who criticise the 'slow' guys are doing all these jobs, taking breaks and using lwts? Bet it's not many...
Come in on your time, take your break, target your departure time, complete a jobs that you should be doing, don't work for free, don't run, don't cut across grass, try neighbours if you have time, take your toilet breaks (not a bush), take fluids on board in this weather and lapsing will be gone.
'We' only have ourselves to blame at the minute because too many still have the job and finish mentality which is actually bringing more work to us because it makes it look like the walks are not big enough
Amen to that!!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
and i think this will get the penny to finally drop with the certain people who still rush around and do job and knock... once theyre either given more work or slow down theyll be finishing the same time as everyone else.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
They’d only be doing more work if it took them longer. That’s the point now.number one wrote:So I can just drag my feet, stretch my round out and bring back 2 rows? As long as I am upto my time it matters not? It’s either to “balance the workload” or not. If not the they need to stop saying it is. It seems to be about the good workers doing more work.fishtank wrote:What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
Read “balance the workload” as “balance finish times”.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
PDA actuals people's thoughts
And that's what my dom said to me the other day. Royal mail want him to put more work on people who get done early because his words "they have a go" . He's fighting it and saying the office will fail every day if he has to put more work on "good employees" his words again. He's already said that if he could use the PDA actuals for conduct issues he could have plenty of people for taking unofficial 10 minute breaks between loops then either claiming or cutting off but the process is so drawn out that his boss says it's easier to send people back out who finish earlyLaggyBand wrote:They’d only be doing more work if it took them longer. That’s the point now.number one wrote:So I can just drag my feet, stretch my round out and bring back 2 rows? As long as I am upto my time it matters not? It’s either to “balance the workload” or not. If not the they need to stop saying it is. It seems to be about the good workers doing more work.fishtank wrote:What "the business" will actually be interested in is how many paid hours in an office are actually fully utilised. This is how Operations Managers will set individual office budgets. It will then be up to Delivery Office managers to get that work done inside that budget one way or another. "Fair" won't come into it, fair is for children's games. This is work, if you want to earn full-time wages you have to be prepared to work full-time hours.The business would then say the postie who took 60 minutes has more workload and the postie who did it in 40 minutes needs more work. Is that fair?
How hard you work, how fast you work, how easy your duty is or how many shortcuts you take to get the job done quickly are completely irrelevant. The reason for that is simple, these are not quantifiable measures they are opinions, one person's fast and efficient is another person's half-assed and dangerous, paid hours are entirely quantifiable..
Read “balance the workload” as “balance finish times”.