ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Jpro747 wrote:I wonder how posties in hotter parts of the world cope. Some parts of the USA regularly have days where temperatures exceed 40*c, maybe we can learn a thing or two from them?
They are acclimated to it. But No Air Con for USPS

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Postie45 »

no denying how hot it can be driving, but yeah look how he gets from house to house, this is typical for much of US
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Celgar »

Postie45 wrote:no denying how hot it can be driving, but yeah look how he gets from house to house, this is typical for much of US
That's too impersonal a method of delivering the mail for my liking. Wouldn't get any exercise either so would end up a right fat bastard. No one mention he has mail on the passenger seat........ :no no
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by wacko74 »

Doesn't look like he walked the 12.8 miles that I've walked today (>14 miles on a heavy day)
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by MinTee »

Our office is unbearable, like a greenhouse. Extractor fans that barely work. No A/C of any kind. 7am and it reads 24C inside.

Then get sent out, 4.5 hours in the sun, no shade. Absorption too. Funnily enough I tried to follow the cut off procedure but 45 minutes before my finish time, management weren’t answering. Made it back just in time for my meal relief to start only to find out managers already went home.

Disgraceful, but yet I’ll get the bollocking for bringing work back.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by robbertwhitton »

I think the biggest threat in this weather is the management not giving acstuff about the the weather being the biggest threat,probably to be fair not a lot they can do ,it’s hot and far from easy in this temperature,asked boss today what measures were being put in place revthe hot weather,he said it’s going to cool down Tuesday and walked out the door! priceless,
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by MinTee »

Sounds about right. DOM today pulled out his phone and showed me its due to rain at 3pm (my finish time being 14:33), and told me it would cool me down.

I always get the last laugh when I bring the work back in the end.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by scoobymunster »

How do you all keep your drinks cool? My ice cold bottle of water has usually been completely boiled by 12pm lying in the back of the van, rendering it impossible to drink. (Vans been showing temps as above 30C!) Buying a fresh bottle from a shop etc. quickly gets expensive over the week.
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by bogues2009 »

Look what they do in Arabic countries to cool down: they drink very hot tea:) it works for me! Filling your very warm stomach with ice cold drinks will have negative consequences surely..
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by wacko74 »

scoobymunster wrote:How do you all keep your drinks cool? My ice cold bottle of water has usually been completely boiled by 12pm lying in the back of the van, rendering it impossible to drink. (Vans been showing temps as above 30C!) Buying a fresh bottle from a shop etc. quickly gets expensive over the week.

Do you actually put your bottle of water in the freezer over night so it's frozen solid first thing in the morning but slowly defrost throughout the day?
That's what I do and it keeps it cool, although sometimes it doesn't defrost quickly enough so you can't drink as much as you'd like!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wacko74 wrote:
scoobymunster wrote:How do you all keep your drinks cool? My ice cold bottle of water has usually been completely boiled by 12pm lying in the back of the van, rendering it impossible to drink. (Vans been showing temps as above 30C!) Buying a fresh bottle from a shop etc. quickly gets expensive over the week.

Do you actually put your bottle of water in the freezer over night so it's frozen solid first thing in the morning but slowly defrost throughout the day?
That's what I do and it keeps it cool, although sometimes it doesn't defrost quickly enough so you can't drink as much as you'd like!
I combine the 2 - Freeze one overnight and 1 in a fridge. Out on delivery keep them next to each other, the frozen one takes about 3 hours to defrost completely but keeps the cool one cool for longer.

Keep them next to each other in one of the pouch bags smaller compartment.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by panch1989 »

Having previously served in Iraq at the height of summer I drink room temperature water or warm as you'd put it water. Cold water can shock the body in these conditions. Room temperature water is in fact better for hydration
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by CPTNemoUK »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
scoobymunster wrote:How do you all keep your drinks cool? My ice cold bottle of water has usually been completely boiled by 12pm lying in the back of the van, rendering it impossible to drink. (Vans been showing temps as above 30C!) Buying a fresh bottle from a shop etc. quickly gets expensive over the week.

Do you actually put your bottle of water in the freezer over night so it's frozen solid first thing in the morning but slowly defrost throughout the day?
That's what I do and it keeps it cool, although sometimes it doesn't defrost quickly enough so you can't drink as much as you'd like!
I combine the 2 - Freeze one overnight and 1 in a fridge. Out on delivery keep them next to each other, the frozen one takes about 3 hours to defrost completely but keeps the cool one cool for longer.

Keep them next to each other in one of the pouch bags smaller compartment.
I do exactly the same. But have three bottles and keep the frozen one in the middle.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by MinTee »

MinTee wrote: Disgraceful, but yet I’ll get the bollocking for bringing work back.
Just as predictable as I thought. Within 15 minutes of me arriving the lino was on my back. Explained it all to him. He kept stating that I need to let him know before we cut off, I kept stating I tried and no one answered. Fingers in ears, eyes shut type scenario.

He’s now going to investigate further and see if my partner did make outgoing calls to the office number (he did). He argued I could’ve finished it if I worked through my meal relief. Funny thing is I got rid of the packets on it to try and be helpful, but I didn’t have a spare 40 minutes to finish the 1/4 walk lapsing that was given to us.

Can’t wait to see if he’s going to try to take it further when we can easily get on CCTV and watch management leave early
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by crimson king »

It really annoys me when they suggest/ask/demand you work through your meal relief :arrrghhh
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.