ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3359
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Mr Rush »

Back in olden times (only a decade ago) this was never that much of an issue since workload declined in the summer and almost everyone was finished before 1PM.

Coincidentally, lapsing celebrated its 10th birthday last month :cuppa
The machine stops.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by LaggyBand »

My boxers were squishy when I got home today.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by ted_e_bear »

LaggyBand wrote:My boxers were squishy when I got home today.
So were mine, did you wring them out ready for Monday ?

Joking apart it was quiet today, with double lapsing, took us about 4.5 hrs, got back to the d.o. felt a bit light headed, head felt like it was going to burst, ok now I'm home with a few cold ones inside me watching England winning !
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Couldn't agree with you more on this. My frame is ready to tie up at 08.00 but I'm not allowed to start until 09.00 so I'm out in the heat for an hour longer than I need to be. If I choose to come in early and go over they won't pay me.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by wacko74 »

In my office they're not even bothering with the usual H&S arse covering bull ''take care in the heat'' etc... the only daily announcements we've had all summer is ''don't forget to take your double lapsing''.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by crimson king »

Yep, I'm pissed off with it.

Thinking about looking for other jobs, but enjoying the banter and actual job too much.

Starting to get a bit miltant tbh ....
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by NWpostie »

In ages gone by when I started working for RM, we used to start 5am sometimes 5.30am, we were out on delivery by 7am, we could avoid the worst of it.

Unfortunately its not an option nowadays, the heat was sapping and by the time I got home I was ready to fall asleep.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
RedRich
Posts: 76
Joined: 03 Jun 2007, 10:07

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by RedRich »

Image

What heat said the Royal Mail and CWU.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by robbertwhitton »

crimson king wrote:RM's attitude during this prolonged hot spell hasn't surprised me at all, sadly.

Walk in the shade where possible....there isn't any on my urban duty, it's like a f***ing lunar surface out there!

Whereas any caring employer would be looking to get their staff out earlier to avoid the sun (and it could done...you've stll got full timers still waiting half hour or more for part time colleagues to start at our place) , RM are still hell bent on us finishing as late as possible. Don't forget your lapsing? f**k your lapsing! Manage the situation, get some staff in you tight bastards! Like the thread title suggests, where is the humanity? There is none. It's all about saving every f***ing penny possible and sod the poor bastards at the coal face.

Really pissed off with it right now. If I hear one mention of lapsing today I know what's f***ing come home and I'll be f***ing early.
As serious an issue as this is this did make me laugh,your spot on my friend ,theyvdontvgiveca toss it seems,the concern for our welfare on every level is pretty shambolic,
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by robbertwhitton »

I bet the bosses have called in there minions for a meeting just like cobra and the politicians,to make sure the staff are looked after at any cost in this hot weather,although to be far I haven’t seen a memo go up on the notice board yet,am sure it won’t be long,I think I may well stick to my common sense approach and cut off if I say it’s simply too hot to work ,see how they deal with that,maybe they can go and see for themselves?
bobsworth
Posts: 18
Joined: 24 May 2018, 15:05
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by bobsworth »

Recently did 6 hours out in this heat. As a new starter I asked the uniform hotline for a baseball cap but was informed I'd have to wait 6 weeks for that particular item. I also asked for the lighter blue shirts but as someone had already ordered me 5 red polo shirts I'll have to wait until 2020. They did however send me a fleece which was jolly decent of them :Applause :arrrghhh
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by robbertwhitton »

bobsworth wrote:Recently did 6 hours out in this heat. As a new starter I asked the uniform hotline for a baseball cap but was informed I'd have to wait 6 weeks for that particular item. I also asked for the lighter blue shirts but as someone had already ordered me 5 red polo shirts I'll have to wait until 2020. They did however send me a fleece which was jolly decent of them :Applause :arrrghhh
Welcome to the Mickey Mouse world of Royal Mail,if your colleagues can’t source you a hat I’m sure I have a spare,though mine makes my head sweat! And as for the floppy thing they call a hat,ive yet to see anyone wear it
Ringer21
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by Ringer21 »

I was out for 4 hours 30mins the other that was doing my walk plus lapsing got back 30mins early so they sent us back out in all this heat unbelievable
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by crimson king »

Ringer21 wrote:I was out for 4 hours 30mins the other that was doing my walk plus lapsing got back 30mins early so they sent us back out in all this heat unbelievable
That's pretty shocking, but If you're part time (5 hours a day) surely that 30 minutes could have been your break or had you already taken it?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

This is inhumane! (The weather)

Post by DirtyHarry »

There were good reasons why delivery spans were a maximum of 2.5 hours.

Incessant summer heat, is but one.