ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injury at work & warning

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by Spigot bearing »

westy23 wrote:Sorry but It has to be said.
Joining the union twat.
Is there any need for language like that?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by Postie45 »

DaisyDoodles wrote:Good grief! Is this what I can look forward to?

My ankle gave way yesterday and I took a tumble... Grazed, bloody knees the lot. Carried on with my round. Asked my buddy about reporting it as I'm relatively new and was advised that as I wasn't wearing RM issue shoes they won't want to know. No managers at Do to report it to

Fast forward overnight and ankle is visibly swollen and bruised,so pull on a pair of Magnum Boots to support it. Speak in passing to a Manager and tell him what happened... No form filling in though.

Did my round, ankle is killing me and I'm hobbling and slow. End up at local Minor Injuries Unit who triage me and then send me to the big hospital ED department as their XRay machine team clocks off at 5pm. Nigh on 5 hours later at ED after Xrays,diagnosed with badly sprained ankle,issued crutches and told to keep weight off it until swelling goes down. I am now bricking it tomorrow...obvs can't do my round. Do I go all martyr and rock up as is,or stand firm and take the corporate telling off for having a few days sick with it. Hospital didn't issue a note for work.

Help!
its good, and also important that you did mention it on the day to the manager. Have you been issued RM shoes ? or do you have a dr note to say you dont need to wear them ? if you own a pair of RM shoes and maybe *cant recall* wearing them when you fell, maybe you *were* actually wearing them if you think harder about it ? ;) bit late for you now, but people call in sick for much less.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injury at work & warning

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

westy23 wrote:Sorry but It has to be said.
Joining the union
The abusive term is not allowed and didn't need to be said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by Glp28357 »

westy23 wrote:Sorry but It has to be said.
Joining the union twat.
Very helpful - not!
westy23
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 66
Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by westy23 »

Apologies for earlier post.
But please join union for your own protection and assistance in the circumstances you now find yourself in.
DaisyDoodles
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
Gender: Female

Injury at work & warning

Post by DaisyDoodles »

Postie45 wrote:
DaisyDoodles wrote:Good grief! Is this what I can look forward to?

My ankle gave way yesterday and I took a tumble... Grazed, bloody knees the lot. Carried on with my round. Asked my buddy about reporting it as I'm relatively new and was advised that as I wasn't wearing RM issue shoes they won't want to know. No managers at Do to report it to

Fast forward overnight and ankle is visibly swollen and bruised,so pull on a pair of Magnum Boots to support it. Speak in passing to a Manager and tell him what happened... No form filling in though.

Did my round, ankle is killing me and I'm hobbling and slow. End up at local Minor Injuries Unit who triage me and then send me to the big hospital ED department as their XRay machine team clocks off at 5pm. Nigh on 5 hours later at ED after Xrays,diagnosed with badly sprained ankle,issued crutches and told to keep weight off it until swelling goes down. I am now bricking it tomorrow...obvs can't do my round. Do I go all martyr and rock up as is,or stand firm and take the corporate telling off for having a few days sick with it. Hospital didn't issue a note for work.

Help!
its good, and also important that you did mention it on the day to the manager. Have you been issued RM shoes ? or do you have a dr note to say you dont need to wear them ? if you own a pair of RM shoes and maybe *cant recall* wearing them when you fell, maybe you *were* actually wearing them if you think harder about it ? ;) bit late for you now, but people call in sick for much less.

Nope... No managers around when we got back. Did mention it the next morning though just so someone knew I'd done it.

I have had RM shoes issued... But after wearing them a few days I stopped. They're way too heavy for my feet and really clunky, if that makes sense. Stupidly I saw other Posties wearing their own trainers so used my own as they're a dream to walk in... And they have lots of tread on them.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injury at work & warning

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

westy23 wrote:Apologies for earlier post.
Thanks most appreciated
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Sala101
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 11:45
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by Sala101 »

westy23 wrote:Apologies for earlier post.
But please join union for your own protection and assistance in the circumstances you now find yourself in.
Apology accepted.

Thanks for the advice guys, I filled in the union forms today so we'll see what happens. Am just shocked that RM treats is staff so badly especially if they are injured due to having to follow a managers instruction. seriously.....
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by Jpro747 »

Most Royal mail managers will tell you to do anything but when the s**t hits the fan they’ll deny their actions and you’ll be left to blame. Never trust them!
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Injury at work & warning

Post by hothothot »

Never ever trust management especially doms , always and I mean always have a witness to anything said or agreed. They will deny everything they always do. When I fist started with royal mail 22 years ago , an old union guy told me manager's and I mean all manager's are c..ts , I thought Jesus that's harsh. And do you no what he was 100% right.