ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie struggling
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Newbie struggling
2 threads merged
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
You do seem to have been thrown in at the deep end, but although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it right now, you've actually dropped quite lucky to find yourself on a rural, especially if you've got a chance of being on it permanently.
Rurals are are generally much more desirable as they're much less physically demanding even if they do take a bit longer than town duties and van shares.
Rurals are are generally much more desirable as they're much less physically demanding even if they do take a bit longer than town duties and van shares.
-
Amethyst1978
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Newbie struggling
Thank you so much everyone for replying. Today was a better day, I was only 10 minutes over!!! My contract is full time (39 hours) and the times are 6.50 to 14.38. All the other posties have been really helpful I just need to be patient with myself, but I do get the impression that the management don’t really care as long as I get the job done. No one asked me if I wanted extra hours, I kind of assumed I have to deliver it all? If I don’t I think I would just end up doing it the next day!? I just hope tomorrow isn’t too bad!
-
JKSmudge
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Have patience with yourself - this job takes a bit of getting used to. it comes down to experience ( which will take time ) and organising your walk. Make sure you stop and take a drink regularly in hot weather and force yourself to take a longer break for something to eat and do something else non-work related ( phone other half, friend or just look at scenery etc ) - staying hot,tired and hungry stressed for 8+ hours continually will not help.
Also during summer. try to park up somewhere shady if possible to make the cab a bit more comfortable.
Good luck, stick with it and post again in a month with how you are doing.. I'm sure by then you will only be going over on really busy days.
Also during summer. try to park up somewhere shady if possible to make the cab a bit more comfortable.
Good luck, stick with it and post again in a month with how you are doing.. I'm sure by then you will only be going over on really busy days.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
33 rural! Flippin’ hell you must have the healthiest office in the country..97gaz wrote:I did 5 rurals in my first few months at Royal Mail. Our office is out of the ordinary mind. 12 walks (6 shared vans ) and 33 rural. Most new starters here end up on rural.wacko74 wrote:You do seem to have been thrown in at the deep end,
-
macetheace
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 21:51
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Having been with royal mail for over 30yrs I see this happening all the time....the thing is and I'm sure your hear and read about it on other posts and that is ....it will get easier trust me ...sure it looks like your slow but don't forget other posties have been on rounds alot longer than yourself so keep your head up and don't let the job get you down ... 
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Great to see comments to the new postie on about speed! She’ll be glad to know she has entered into a culture of rush and fly round and make her worried sick already,of course it will get better,and easier as you find your feet and way round,I’m lucky I have my own round which I love and certainly part of the rural community,hopefully you won’t get moved around and messed about so you can get on with your round,there shouldn’t be this pressure on you,maybe the workplace coach could step up and maybe do his/her job to help and advise and maybe coach..??
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Half the battle is learning the frame. I've been doing the job now over 4 years but been on the same walk for a year now. The walk I'm on I can throw it in with my eyes closed. But if I go on another walk I struggle and it stresses me out looking for a street. Then the walk teases you because you are looking for 54 my street. And when you find the street it stops at 52 and starts again elsewhere on the frame or sometimes it's not even on the walk 