ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New PDA update.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Seymour Buts »

They reckon they'll be league tables about neighbour attempts to given it'll know if you've delivered to neighbour or customer.

Have to say we are miles behind other firms, most had this type of stuff years ago but from our point of view it's a pain in the arse with all this stuff being constantly added.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

New PDA update.

Post by twoloops »

Can't say I've seen a lens on my PDA are we getting new PDAs with the facility to take photos?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Celgar »

mattycash wrote:Can't say I've seen a lens on my PDA are we getting new PDAs with the facility to take photos?
I believe there is a lens on the current PDAs. Some Postie's won't leave the PDA in the charging carriage because they believe it might be watching them.......
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Celgar »

Xr4 wrote:I can see it ending up we're bringing more stuff back or "accidently pressing delivered". Quite a few times Ive had a tracked saying leave in shed or enclosed porch to find that they haven't got one!

I often cover a rural round and there's no way RM would like some of my customers safe places lol
The most common instance of this is the 'leave in porch' note on some tracked items where you find the house doesn't have a porch. It refers to the occupants previous address where they did have a porch but they have moved & not changed the instruction.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
postman123dart
Posts: 20
Joined: 27 Oct 2013, 15:35
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by postman123dart »

we were coached on this yesterday. to be trialled from july 1st,oh joy
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

New PDA update.

Post by twoloops »

I can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by citypostie »

mattycash wrote:I can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
We must have special ones then because some have managed to take photos on them already, much to the hilarity of all who saw them
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by postslippete »

Where I deliver, I don't trust anybody to take in their neighbours parcel
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

New PDA update.

Post by GT85 »

can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
It's the Zebra Sybol TC70 is it not ?

Front and rear camera still or video

I have had the camera on a couple of times before, can't tell you how I did it, I just pulled it out of my pocket and it was on.

My biggest request for the update would be an OFF button for the Satnav.
Last edited by GT85 on 20 Jun 2018, 17:42, edited 2 times in total.
We're all here because we're not all there
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Celgar »

mattycash wrote:I can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
There is definitely a lens on the back and front of the PDA if you look. The new software has been added and it's going live either next week or the week after. I was shown how to do it today. Now all I have to do is remember how to do it. I was shown how to take a photo of a 'safe place', how to not deliver to a 'safe place' if it isn't safe, and the new process if you deliver to a neighbour. That last one is likely to make me try and avoid delivering to a neighbour not that I do it that often. Everything seems to be getting more time consuming when the one thing we are often short of is time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Celgar »

GT85 wrote:
can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
I have had the camera on a couple of times before, can't tell you how I did it, I just pulled it out of my pocket and it was on.

My biggest request for the update would be an OFF button for the Satnav.
I hate it when the satnav comes on by 'mistake'. Very few people seem to be able to turn it off. Postbox accident report is the other annoying pop-up screen.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by Celgar »

postietom wrote:They reckon they'll be league tables about neighbour attempts to given it'll know if you've delivered to neighbour or customer.

Have to say we are miles behind other firms, most had this type of stuff years ago but from our point of view it's a pain in the arse with all this stuff being constantly added.
There won't be a league table for neighbour attempts as its an unquantifiable metric. But I expect there will be trouble if we mess it up
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

If they are not in they get a card, they haven,t given me enough time to mess about with all this shite, they keep adding things on where's the extra time coming from ?. :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

New PDA update.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattycash wrote:I can confirm there is no camera on the PDAs
really whats this then
camera.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

New PDA update.

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Wait until you get to read the official pamphlet on this, security of items officially goes out of the window. As long as the specified "safeplace" is under cover and out of view of the general public, you can now follow the instruction before taking a photo.

In the past if it came out I was leaving parcels in unlocked sheds or inside unlocked porches, where anyone could come along afterwards and take the parcels away, I could be disciplined for leaving items in an insecure place.

Now it's absolutely fine, apparently, plus we take a picture to show our bosses all the insecure places we leave items! :shock:

Then what happens if parcel goes missing? Does your face fit in the depot? Are you FT or PT? :wave