ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unorganised start.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Unorganised start.

Post by Rapidryan88 »

DaisyDoodles wrote:I've been here 4 weeks... My observations so far:

1. 6 week training plan is 4 days. You won't get shown everything and you'll need to ask lots of questions and write the answers down.

2. Hours. I'm 25 hour part time. I'm currently doing about 30 hours a week as I'm still getting up to speed. Do NOT be pressurised into rushing to get it done. Get someone to explain Meal Breaks, Lapsing and Absorbing to you. They forgot to tell me.

3. Your knees, ankles and feet will ache. The RM issue shoes are massively heavy... Baths/Foot Soaks in Epsom Salts are a lifesaver, as is Voltarol and some good orthotic inner soles.

4. Holiday. Ask now when you can have some... Ask to see the free weeks. No one explained to me that you get given your holiday and if youre lucky, you can swap the rubbish weeks you get given. All I have to look forward to until April is the odd days off that no one else wants... Perks of being the new girl I guess.

5. Wednesday is a heavy day for post. Take lots of water and protein bars with you to stay alive. Also, a little flannel to wipe the sweat from your brow before your mail recipient answers the door to sign for their post, makes it a bit nicer. Opening a door to a red/purple sweaty unfit newbie postie is off-putting (that's what I convinced myself).

6. It does get better. I'm quite enjoying it now...have lost half a stone in 4 weeks and can now power my way up hills and not almost collapse at the top.

Enjoy!
Thank you so much for the reply! Honestly appreciate you helping :) I had a two hour bath today and spent 3 hours napping lol bought breathable socks as mine today were not and made my shoes a hot mess! I’ve already got one week just need someone to show me how to fill a travel expense form and do an actual tour and I’ll be ok after a few more weeks lol it’s so hard on your feet! Today was busy and I had many flats so my ankles and knees are killing me
DaisyDoodles
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
Gender: Female

Unorganised start.

Post by DaisyDoodles »

Ooh... Also forgot to mention... Get a knee support,they become a godsend.

Also, if you have time, scan your frame prior to bundling and try to remember who has parcels. Write out cards for anything that you won't feel will go through a letterbox... Then if the recipient or neighbour isn't around, you save yourself some time. I bought myself a cheap clipboard and clipped some cards to it, added a retractable pen and voila! A decent surface to finish writing them on when out and about.

Get a Dog Peg.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Unorganised start.

Post by Rapidryan88 »

DaisyDoodles wrote:Ooh... Also forgot to mention... Get a knee support,they become a godsend.

Also, if you have time, scan your frame prior to bundling and try to remember who has parcels. Write out cards for anything that you won't feel will go through a letterbox... Then if the recipient or neighbour isn't around, you save yourself some time. I bought myself a cheap clipboard and clipped some cards to it, added a retractable pen and voila! A decent surface to finish writing them on when out and about.

Get a Dog Peg.
You are a star, my knees are hurting so the brace will help a lot :) I come in at 9:30 so never haven’t dealt with. Sorting or anything yet. Only did a little when I came in at 8 on day 2 but every other day my experienced colleague has had it ready