ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
DOM shouting
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
Yes they can, when they realise their fancy coffee machine has broken again!
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2041
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
DOM shouting
Our DOM always shouts, its like a disco in our office, this morning we had Madness - Night Boat To Cairo followed by Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot then we all did the Conga followed by the The Hokey Cokey ................ We are a happy office. 
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
That's exactly why management in this business are so pathetically unsuited and unfit for purpose. If a member of staff is rude and disrespectful to a manager they should be dealt with using the conduct code not met with a reciprocal level of childish behaviour from the manager.If you treat your DOM with disrespect and rudeness you have to expect to be spoken back to the same way
I see this kind of testosterone fuelled pissing contest crap every day from line managers, nobody walks away with any respect in these circumstances which is fine for us, we posties don't particularly need respect to do our job but a manager without respect is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
They won’t use the conduct code unless they have to. They don’t want to upset people who get the job done and they don’t want staff sacked as they will be understaffed and it’ll mean more pressure on them to get the mail out.fishtank wrote:That's exactly why management in this business are so pathetically unsuited and unfit for purpose. If a member of staff is rude and disrespectful to a manager they should be dealt with using the conduct code not met with a reciprocal level of childish behaviour from the manager.If you treat your DOM with disrespect and rudeness you have to expect to be spoken back to the same way
I see this kind of testosterone fuelled pissing contest crap every day from line managers, nobody walks away with any respect in these circumstances which is fine for us, we posties don't particularly need respect to do our job but a manager without respect is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
DOM shouting
I have been a manager in other walks of life and even been a lowly Corporal in the forces.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:A manager only shouts if OPG shout at them.
Even if I had been severely provoked I would have busted back down a rank or 2 in the forces if I reacted by shouting back at someone under my command. As a civilian manager, I would have expected at least a quiet word in my bosses office in the same situation.
Should OPGs shout at managers - absolutely not! But when it happens a manager should handle the situation better than acting in exactly the same manner.
Why because you are in a higher position of trust, and like it or not a different and more professional standard of behaviour is expected of you. That's not just in Royal Mail and the Forces, that's for every manager in every job.
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:There are to many people on here that think OPGs can do no wrong. 90% of OPGs are hard working good people, but the other 10% are lazy bone idle people who put more effort getting out of work than rather do it, and our union defends them. I go to work do my job and go home I speak to my DOM in a decent way and I get spoken back the same way, its not hard.
If you treat your DOM with disrespect and rudeness you have to expect to be spoken back to the same way, then the majority throw their dummies out of the pram if they do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have been a manager in other walks of life and even been a lowly Corporal in the forces.mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:A manager only shouts if OPG shout at them.
Even if I had been severely provoked I would have busted back down a rank or 2 in the forces if I reacted by shouting back at someone under my command. As a civilian manager, I would have expected at least a quiet word in my bosses office in the same situation.
Should OPGs shout at managers - absolutely not! But when it happens a manager should handle the situation better than acting in exactly the same manner.
Why because you are in a higher position of trust, and like it or not a different and more professional standard of behaviour is expected of you. That's not just in Royal Mail and the Forces, that's for every manager in every job.
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:There are to many people on here that think OPGs can do no wrong. 90% of OPGs are hard working good people, but the other 10% are lazy bone idle people who put more effort getting out of work than rather do it, and our union defends them. I go to work do my job and go home I speak to my DOM in a decent way and I get spoken back the same way, its not hard.
If you treat your DOM with disrespect and rudeness you have to expect to be spoken back to the same way, then the majority throw their dummies out of the pram if they do so.
I would have thought that if you had been in the army that you would be used to all the screaming and shouting that gets levelled at you by your Sergeant. Its what the army are good at isn't it?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
DOM shouting
The forces are good at it because they know the context is important. There is a time and place for in your face shouting, counselling, and active counselling. Namely Parade Ground (minor infractions or during training ), in office (medium to big bollocking with no formal action), last chance saloon finger pointing emphasis behind the barrack block
But one thing you will never hear from any rank is them responding to a lower rank in anything less than a professional manner, but if you do, then their boss will give them a personal example of the way they should have handled it. Why because from LCpl (and equivs) up, you are in a position of leadership and it is always better to lead by example.
So the context is a failure to complete.
If the postie had followed procedure then it's unprofessional for a manager to shout at the OPG. Its also from an RM point of view pointless as most people will dig their heels in and you are less likely to successfully apply pressure to get them to do it. From a leadership point of view its stupid it shows you can't lead and will default to bullying and intimidation.
What the manager should have done is ask why then deal with it from there. If he disagrees then he keeps his voice at a normal speaking level and explains his position. If the postie digs in, or raises their voice, then that's the point you calmly instruct then to go and wait in your office. That way you can apply more pressure as a manager, you look more professional, and by not losing your temper, or raising your voice you give the impression of being unflappable, always a good look for any leader.
It really is that simple, even meerkats get it.
But one thing you will never hear from any rank is them responding to a lower rank in anything less than a professional manner, but if you do, then their boss will give them a personal example of the way they should have handled it. Why because from LCpl (and equivs) up, you are in a position of leadership and it is always better to lead by example.
So the context is a failure to complete.
If the postie had followed procedure then it's unprofessional for a manager to shout at the OPG. Its also from an RM point of view pointless as most people will dig their heels in and you are less likely to successfully apply pressure to get them to do it. From a leadership point of view its stupid it shows you can't lead and will default to bullying and intimidation.
What the manager should have done is ask why then deal with it from there. If he disagrees then he keeps his voice at a normal speaking level and explains his position. If the postie digs in, or raises their voice, then that's the point you calmly instruct then to go and wait in your office. That way you can apply more pressure as a manager, you look more professional, and by not losing your temper, or raising your voice you give the impression of being unflappable, always a good look for any leader.
It really is that simple, even meerkats get it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
I witnessed some of the most unprofessional managers in my time with Royal mail,Most shouldn't even be in the job.
Why I stuck at it so long God only knows,I still get annoyed at myself at the years i wasted hating a job but still pulling my tripe out on a daily basis for a firm who couldn't give a toss.
Feeling appreciated goes a long way and it's about time those dimwits appreciated their workers instead of constantly thinking of ways to upset them.
Royal mail are in the dark ages,Horrible memories which will hopefully fade away in time.
Why I stuck at it so long God only knows,I still get annoyed at myself at the years i wasted hating a job but still pulling my tripe out on a daily basis for a firm who couldn't give a toss.
Feeling appreciated goes a long way and it's about time those dimwits appreciated their workers instead of constantly thinking of ways to upset them.
Royal mail are in the dark ages,Horrible memories which will hopefully fade away in time.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
back to asking directly about the OPs question ...surely being aggressively shouted at is a B+H issue
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3359
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
Very interesting TBT cites example from the armed forces when I've always used it as a metaphor - I wouldn't follow the DOM into combat.
It's a variation of the Dilbert Principle: the least qualified OPGs go for a management position seeing the attractive combination of 'no delivery/more pay', get next to no training, can't take the heat (it flows downhill, to be fair), and end up having to implement the latest lapsing plan that they jumped ship to escape. A disaster all round.
It's a variation of the Dilbert Principle: the least qualified OPGs go for a management position seeing the attractive combination of 'no delivery/more pay', get next to no training, can't take the heat (it flows downhill, to be fair), and end up having to implement the latest lapsing plan that they jumped ship to escape. A disaster all round.
The machine stops.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
DOM shouting
I wouldn't follow them to the latrine, never mind combat.Mr Rush wrote:Very interesting TBT cites example from the armed forces when I've always used it as a metaphor - I wouldn't follow the DOM into combat.
It's a variation of the Dilbert Principle: the least qualified OPGs go for a management position seeing the attractive combination of 'no delivery/more pay', get next to no training, can't take the heat (it flows downhill, to be fair), and end up having to implement the latest lapsing plan that they jumped ship to escape. A disaster all round.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
Ive noticed that our managers do seem to be getting younger. They form part of the infant-ry !!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
DOM shouting
Write down every incident of shouting for a week. The next week inform the DOM of your findings and politely tell him you don't want him to shout at you any more as people feel harassed and threatened by it. If he does it again put in a grievance form. He will be dealt with.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
DOM shouting
This echoes exactly how I felt,but please dont let the bad memories eat away at you,it can make you bitter,and them useless bullying managers are just not worth it. Just remember what goes around comes around and they will get their comeupance one day,and I wouldnt want to be in their shoes when it does.Theghost wrote:I witnessed some of the most unprofessional managers in my time with Royal mail,Most shouldn't even be in the job.
Why I stuck at it so long God only knows,I still get annoyed at myself at the years i wasted hating a job but still pulling my tripe out on a daily basis for a firm who couldn't give a toss.
Feeling appreciated goes a long way and it's about time those dimwits appreciated their workers instead of constantly thinking of ways to upset them.
Royal mail are in the dark ages,Horrible memories which will hopefully fade away in time.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
DOM shouting
dom shouting again at people in his office who do you report him too ?