ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Memorial garden to remember postal workers in Worcester opens

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Memorial garden to remember postal workers in Worcester opens

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/162 ... ers_opens/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POSTAL workers in the city will be remembered as part of a new memorial garden.

Staff and management at the Royal Mail sorting office in Wainwright Road as well as local businesses came together to fund and build the garden which remembers friends and co-workers who have died over the last 100 years.

A plot of land next to the sorting office in Worcester, originally allocated for car parking, was envisioned by worker Paul Bosworth and largely transformed by night shift driver Lee Deeley who spent his spare time building the memorial and landscaping the garden.


Mr Deeley said: "It was Paul [Bosworth] who came up with the idea and he came to me and asked do you think we can do it?

"I was just so honoured, not only because we were going to do it but also that Paul asked me to do it.

"When it was all finished it was quite upsetting in a way, to see so many names on it but It has been an absolute pleasure.

"I think about other people in my life that I have lost when I come here. "I've been here 20 years now so I do think about some of the people that I've worked but I also think about family and friends that have passed away.

"I love it and I'm really proud of it. It has been my baby."

Mr Deeley had his friend and co-worker Stephen Matthews, who died in 2016, in mind when he was working on the garden. He planted a tribute in the garden to remember him.

Paul Bosworth was delighted to see so many old faces and friends attend the opening ceremony and said the garden was a "shining example" of what can be achieved when everybody works together.

The mayor of Worcester Councillor Jabba Riaz officially opened the garden and said it was important to take the time to remember colleagues who had died.

He said: "We spend so much of our adult lives at work and we don't always get the chance to think and remember about some of the people who have been integral to our working lives."

He added the garden would be the perfect place to remember the people we do not always appreciate as well as we could.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.