ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Post by NewPostieUK »

DaisyDoodles wrote: 9.30 to 14.30 - W, Th, Fr
DaisyDoodles wrote:I got back today at 14.45.
That's only 15 mins over. That's not bad at all.

It sounds like a completely typical van share duty. The only problem I can see is that you are being 'told' not 'asked' to go in early.

It's the norm that the full timer can't get all the prep done so the part timer is asked to go in early. If you want the overtime great, if not it's up to the manager to find a way to get the prep done.

I'm on 6 hrs a day and when I was on a van share, I just sorted my packets, did my redirections, bundled up and went. Whenever the prep wasn't completely done, I'd go and find the manager and ask him what the problem is was. A good excuse to leave the lapsing and/or a loop behind.
DaisyDoodles
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
Gender: Female

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Post by DaisyDoodles »

NewPostieUK wrote:
DaisyDoodles wrote: 9.30 to 14.30 - W, Th, Fr
DaisyDoodles wrote:I got back today at 14.45.
That's only 15 mins over. That's not bad at all.

It sounds like a completely typical van share duty. The only problem I can see is that you are being 'told' not 'asked' to go in early.

It's the norm that the full timer can't get all the prep done so the part timer is asked to go in early. If you want the overtime great, if not it's up to the manager to find a way to get the prep done.

I'm on 6 hrs a day and when I was on a van share, I just sorted my packets, did my redirections, bundled up and went. Whenever the prep wasn't completely done, I'd go and find the manager and ask him what the problem is was. A good excuse to leave the lapsing and/or a loop behind.
Thank you so much for this! At least I know its not just me... I'm just so worried that I won't make the grade and not be taken on after my 6 months probation.

I am trying to get quicker and hope it will come in time.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Post by rehabron »

Having been told these hours you should have your contract increased to 30 hours which will be included when on holiday because you must be physically drained completing 6 loops so the extra money will come in handy to assist in your recuperation. Massage parlour, sauna, jacuzzii, hill walking, commando training, speed walking, cycling etc. :dance :dance :dance
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Post by fb1969 »

DaisyDoodles wrote: Thank you so much for this! At least I know its not just me... I'm just so worried that I won't make the grade and not be taken on after my 6 months probation.

I am trying to get quicker and hope it will come in time.
It is most likely that you will have to do something massively wrong, or be extremely slow (hours late) in order for your contract to not be renewed!

RM take on newbies on part time contracts that rarely have enough hours for the work to be done. They thrive on the fact that most newbies will be pleased to have been taken on, and will be keen to do overtime as it will mean they will be taken on for longer. When you are on leave RM will only have to pay you your contracted hours, which saves them money. Meanwhile you feel pressured to get things done and to make an impression in the hope of being kept on for longer.

Doing things quickly will come in time, don't stress yourself as doing it right is far more important than speed. I am a float and have to do van shares with two fairly new starters, one has done 6 weeks and the other 10 weeks. The 10 week person gets the loops done quicker than the 6 week person, but I obviously finish my loops before both of them. So I go and help them finish their loop, or I take bits of their stuff off of them - the last thing I would ever do is pressure them into being quicker. Maybe its just me, but we were all newbies once.
Last edited by fb1969 on 03 Jun 2018, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds

Post by postslippete »

Royal Mail aren't daft. They know that most newbies will have to come in early before their start time if they usually want to finish on time, and managers have a tendency to prey on that when they come round asking staff "Do you think you'll be alright today??" putting pressure on staff to try and finish the duty within their hours.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.