ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Celgar »

This was mentioned in today's Courier but it appears that was late news and the scheme has already been set up. Sounds like it could be a bit of a Trainwreck with loads of potential problems. Set up in hubs delivering to numerous postcode areas that posties have no knowledge of and P739s cannot be used. Reminds me of our competitors employing people with poor English skills and no idea where they are going. This is going to result in loads of customer complaints and as compensation is automatically paid out even if items are delivered correctly the business will suffer. I think there will not be much interest from existing posties to take on these additional duties.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by panch1989 »

Asked the Dom today for more information, it's going to be a 3 month trial at first to see if it works.
In theory it works. Do your delivery, come back have a break and then mop up the packets. He said if there is no packets to mop up then you would do collection cover and break down the incoming mail.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Celgar »

:whistle
panch1989 wrote:Asked the Dom today for more information, it's going to be a 3 month trial at first to see if it works.
In theory it works. Do your delivery, come back have a break and then mop up the packets. He said if there is no packets to mop up then you would do collection cover and break down the incoming mail.
There could be up to a 2 hour gap between the end of your walk duty and the LAT duty.
Wouldn't the collection already have someone signed to do it? Also our DO for example wouldn't have any more indoor work to do til the following day. This new duty type reminds me of zero hour contracts type jobs.....something I thought the union was against.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by number one »

Celgar wrote::whistle
panch1989 wrote:Asked the Dom today for more information, it's going to be a 3 month trial at first to see if it works.
In theory it works. Do your delivery, come back have a break and then mop up the packets. He said if there is no packets to mop up then you would do collection cover and break down the incoming mail.
There could be up to a 2 hour gap between the end of your walk duty and the LAT duty.
Wouldn't the collection already have someone signed to do it? Also our DO for example wouldn't have any more indoor work to do til the following day. This new duty type reminds me of zero hour contracts type jobs.....something I thought the union was against.
For gods sake what is it with some people on here!! If its overtime SA you will be paid the full hours. If you find there are no packets to deliver you will STILL be paid your SA hours! We will never be on zero hours contracts, if you are in work you WILL be paid!
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by BELIAL »

Some of us are not paid for the overtime we do . then if we don't do overtime we are taken down the conduct code for willful delay.
Effectively failing to work for nothing constitutes gross misconduct.
Course it all comes to nothing in the end ,but after dragging the process out for nine months the damage is done and not recoverable .
Corporate insanity ,the direct costs are large ; the ongoing costs are immeasurable
Bye
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by number one »

BELIAL wrote:Some of us are not paid for the overtime we do . then if we don't do overtime we are taken down the conduct code for willful delay.
Effectively failing to work for nothing constitutes gross misconduct.
Course it all comes to nothing in the end ,but after dragging the process out for nine months the damage is done and not recoverable .
Corporate insanity ,the direct costs are large ; the ongoing costs are immeasurable

Sounds like you need a better union rep
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Alexei »

Good idea. Often thought the work load needed divided up better, with posties focusing on mail, smaller packets & specials and dedicated packet drivers delivering oversized, similar to what we used to do years ago. Although from reading this thread, one hub covering numerous areas sounds disastrous, and with it being associated with the later acceptance, then I imagine it wouldn't alleviate the daytime posties workload.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Celgar »

number one wrote:
Celgar wrote::whistle
panch1989 wrote:Asked the Dom today for more information, it's going to be a 3 month trial at first to see if it works.
In theory it works. Do your delivery, come back have a break and then mop up the packets. He said if there is no packets to mop up then you would do collection cover and break down the incoming mail.
There could be up to a 2 hour gap between the end of your walk duty and the LAT duty.
Wouldn't the collection already have someone signed to do it? Also our DO for example wouldn't have any more indoor work to do til the following day. This new duty type reminds me of zero hour contracts type jobs.....something I thought the union was against.
For gods sake what is it with some people on here!! If its overtime SA you will be paid the full hours. If you find there are no packets to deliver you will STILL be paid your SA hours! We will never be on zero hours contracts, if you are in work you WILL be paid!
I'm not questioning whether posties would be paid for delivering any LAT as they obviously would be. The advertising poster mentions joining a pool of volunteers willing to do the duty if it is available. RM usually know roughly how much mail will be coming through the system beforehand. It is likely there would be variable amounts of LAT to deliver so variable numbers of Postie's would be required to complete the work. This is how zero hour contracts work in that you are asked to work when you are needed. Postie's may not be needed to do it every day.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Celgar »

Alexei wrote:Good idea. Often thought the work load needed divided up better, with posties focusing on mail, smaller packets & specials and dedicated packet drivers delivering oversized, similar to what we used to do years ago. Although from reading this thread, one hub covering numerous areas sounds disastrous, and with it being associated with the later acceptance, then I imagine it wouldn't alleviate the daytime posties workload.
The idea is it would be additional capacity attracting additional business. I don't think the idea is to move workload from usual Postie's duties to delivering in the evening.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by panch1989 »

I was discussing it further with the Dom, the area covered for us is about 5 offices. If the trials are successful then the option for PT to get ft contracts are what they want to do. I was discussing the possibility of working less days but longer hours. They seem keen on this. For example Mon Tues Wed the first week. Thurs Fri Sat the next week. Two to a duty, set delivery and then the afternoon gig. Rotating through. Gives you 1 in 2 sat off. 7 days off aswell. I for one would be loving that. So hopefully it's a success
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by citypostie »

panch1989 wrote:I was discussing it further with the Dom, the area covered for us is about 5 offices. If the trials are successful then the option for PT to get ft contracts are what they want to do. I was discussing the possibility of working less days but longer hours. They seem keen on this. For example Mon Tues Wed the first week. Thurs Fri Sat the next week. Two to a duty, set delivery and then the afternoon gig. Rotating through. Gives you 1 in 2 sat off. 7 days off aswell. I for one would be loving that. So hopefully it's a success
I think lots of people would want to have a duty like that! I would. Hope they come to my area
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by Alexei »

panch1989 wrote: For example Mon Tues Wed the first week. Thurs Fri Sat the next week. Two to a duty, set delivery and then the afternoon gig. Rotating through. Gives you 1 in 2 sat off. 7 days off aswell. I for one would be loving that. So hopefully it's a success
I like your idea and would seriously consider it also, although I'm slightly confused with how your day pans out. Is it two people delivering one walk, and then both in one van doing packets? If so, I really can't see RM approving.
I do like the idea though, and often think two people in a van can help with organisation and efficiency in general, but making things easy is not in RM's interest. I hope I'm wrong, but I've very rarely seen two people in any other couriers van.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by citypostie »

Alexei wrote:
panch1989 wrote: For example Mon Tues Wed the first week. Thurs Fri Sat the next week. Two to a duty, set delivery and then the afternoon gig. Rotating through. Gives you 1 in 2 sat off. 7 days off aswell. I for one would be loving that. So hopefully it's a success
I like your idea and would seriously consider it also, although I'm slightly confused with how your day pans out. Is it two people delivering one walk, and then both in one van doing packets? If so, I really can't see RM approving.
I do like the idea though, and often think two people in a van can help with organisation and efficiency in general, but making things easy is not in RM's interest. I hope I'm wrong, but I've very rarely seen two people in any other couriers van.
I'm sure he means 2 people working the six days. So you would work 3 days each week and swop the days you work each week. Sounds like heaven to me even with the late finish time
rocky2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 May 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by rocky2 »

we have several people working 3 day week as a job share without the afternoon packets perhaps we have an reasonable dom I took my 60 pension and went to the job share to wind down for retirement seems sensible for us oldies
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Our place is bringing in late afternoon packet jobs.

Post by BELIAL »

number one wrote:
BELIAL wrote:Some of us are not paid for the overtime we do . then if we don't do overtime we are taken down the conduct code for willful delay.
Effectively failing to work for nothing constitutes gross misconduct.
Course it all comes to nothing in the end ,but after dragging the process out for nine months the damage is done and not recoverable .
Corporate insanity ,the direct costs are large ; the ongoing costs are immeasurable

Sounds like you need a better union rep
I think you are correct ,but it runs on through to area and divisional reps as well,and I can't believe that national officers are unaware when things progress so far.So you could have said "sounds like you need a better union"
Bye