ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

culture , lapsing ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by postmanzach »

I don’t understand why people get upset and stressed? You can’t complete on time simply tell your manager ASAP like whilst prepping it ain’t happening,that’s it, no drama, no lapsing.

Happens nearly everyday in our office easy overtime for those that want extra.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Rapidryan88 »

deetee wrote:I don’t understand why people get upset and stressed? You can’t complete on time simply tell your manager ASAP like whilst prepping it ain’t happening,that’s it, no drama, no lapsing.

Happens nearly everyday in our office easy overtime for those that want extra.
Does it take a few weeks to be able to see how much you have and KNOW you won’t be able to deliver? I mean you could easily think yeah that’s manageable and just have underestimated (newb btw)
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Glp28357 »

Oh okay thank you. Hopefully the training is good unlike my last job.


I wouldn't hold your breath! I've been a postie for over a year now and never had any training.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by hothothot »

Training at RM seems to be a thing of the past , you just get chucked in at the deep in now. Used to have 3 days training but that's a thing of the past.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Rapidryan88 »

hothothot wrote:Training at RM seems to be a thing of the past , you just get chucked in at the deep in now. Used to have 3 days training but that's a thing of the past.
Well then if I f**k something up due to no training and someone says anything to me They’ll be getting told where to go
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Brandy »

deetee wrote:I don’t understand why people get upset and stressed? You can’t complete on time simply tell your manager ASAP like whilst prepping it ain’t happening,that’s it, no drama, no lapsing.

Happens nearly everyday in our office easy overtime for those that want extra.
You must have been in a good office with a decent manager. I can hear it now when I wasnt able to do my lapsing or complete my delivery.Why cant you do it? Theres no mail! All the others are doing theirs! You are not up the job! etc etc. In the end the constant arguing used to grind me down.
Well at least I dont have to put up with this crap anymore.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Celgar »

Glp28357 wrote:Oh okay thank you. Hopefully the training is good unlike my last job.


I wouldn't hold your breath! I've been a postie for over a year now and never had any training.
Another every office is run different thing. Some offices you will just be told 'it starts there'. In our DO you get a minimum of one day training and usually two days on the rurals. Might get a third day on rurals if you mess up on your own or you still haven't got it in your head.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

We run -

New starter- 6 weeks on one round

Commercial - 1 days training

Rural - 3 days training

Town round - 0 days training
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by cpsteve »

I may be wrong but i think its an all year round thing resource to work-load so you can lapse absorb all year round. The bottom line is take your PAID breaks start on time then if you finish early and have to do more so be it and if you finish late claim O/T or tell the manager you will not complete but then do not cry when you are made to work to your time if you finish early. PDA actuals are being used they know everything we do, we are paid well with good terms and conditions our union have cut our working week by an hour that should mean most of us have very little wriggle room and as TP said end most lapsing.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by WOBBLY »

cpsteve wrote:I may be wrong but i think its an all year round thing resource to work-load so you can lapse absorb all year round. The bottom line is take your PAID breaks start on time then if you finish early and have to do more so be it and if you finish late claim O/T or tell the manager you will not complete but then do not cry when you are made to work to your time if you finish early. PDA actuals are being used they know everything we do, we are paid well with good terms and conditions our union have cut our working week by an hour that should mean most of us have very little wriggle room and as TP said end most lapsing.
It's meant to be resource to workload but increasingly in my office and I'm sure most others its resource to sickness :roll: !
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

culture , lapsing ?

Post by NewPostieUK »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
Town round - 0 days training
How do you know where to go?
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Glp28357 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
Town round - 0 days training
How do you know where to go?

I commented to a colleague last summer that I'd never had any training. He asked how long I'd lived in the town and I told him "about 4 years". He replied "That's your training"! That's how you know where to go, although if you don't work in the town where you live, it won't be that simple.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Glp28357 wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
Town round - 0 days training
How do you know where to go?

I commented to a colleague last summer that I'd never had any training. He asked how long I'd lived in the town and I told him "about 4 years". He replied "That's your training"! That's how you know where to go, although if you don't work in the town where you live, it won't be that simple.
So, no training for town round but if you do it wrong you’re in trouble cause you should know it as you live near? Seems Extremely unfair.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

culture , lapsing ?

Post by NewPostieUK »

I'd never even been to the town I work in until I became a postman.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

culture , lapsing ?

Post by Brandy »

I just cannot get my head round where it seems that new posties get little if no training whatsoever,as with any new job you need to be shown the ropes,ok you may say its only putting letters through letterboxes,but there is an awful lot more to this job,and to throw newbys in at the deep end with no training is grossly unfair. :no no