ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by Seymour Buts »

joewyan wrote:
MrBrinks89 wrote:Hi there, total newbie here. I currently work full time (39 hours) but want to change jobs and have applied for a part time postie job (25 hours). I'm wondering what the chances are that I'd be able to work at least 10 hours overtime a week to make up the hours?

I imagine each office is different but I'd just like to hear your experiences.

Thank you!
If you NEED to have the full time hours then I would say don’t risk it as you can never guarantee overtime. The offices I have worked have generally been fine with no problem but some weeks can be a struggle. Only take the job if you can still live on the 25 hour wages a week otherwise I wouldn’t risk it.
I second this. I wouldn't rely on overtime, yes in most offices it's there but not a given. When I started in my office it was going constantly; now there isn't much at all. There's only so many collections to go round and we have more wanting to do them than required and our office is fully staffed so extra delivery is only when somebody knocks up. Rest day working has even been knocked on the head for those of us who haven't signed for the sa.

If you can't survive on the basic hours, I'd look elsewhere. Full time contracts are like gold too, it goes on seniority. The next in line in our office has 11 years service!
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by Janet Brum »

He can always do overtime in other offices in his area who lack staff due to sickness or being understaffed. It`s what I do sometimes and I have other colleagues who are doing the same.
MrBrinks89
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
Gender: Male

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by MrBrinks89 »

Thanks foe the replies.

Well I've got an interview and if it goes well and I get offered the job I'm going to go for it. Hourly it actually pays over a £1 more than what I'm on currently!

If, however, I can't get overtime or can't get it regularly what is the Royal Mail's stance on staff having a second job?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

MrBrinks89 wrote:
If, however, I can't get overtime or can't get it regularly what is the Royal Mail's stance on staff having a second job?
Fine with it as long as Royal Mail is your primary employer and it's not with a competitor. Competitors are delivery/courier firms AND leaflet distributors.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
MrBrinks89
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
Gender: Male

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by MrBrinks89 »

Haha fair enough. I can't imagine they'd be too happy if I started working for DHL or Hermes!
MrBrinks89
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
Gender: Male

Applied for part time but need full time hours

Post by MrBrinks89 »

Well I had the interview. It was all "competency based" questions with a few standard ones about the nature of the job thrown in at the end. I thought it went well but there's no doubt a load of other people that went for it so I won't get my hopes up too much!