Warriorpostie wrote:Could easily happen to anyone with the pressure we are put under most days. A small lapse in concentration & thats you’re job gone. The handbrakes are over used in post vans & wear very quickly. Yet people who hit vans & drive into things off their own bad driving get away with a warning? Doesn’t seem right to me.
TBH your job is the least priority here. Your own safety and that of others is the most important. It really pisses me off when I'm sharing a van and they don't leave it in gear. I had one postie the other week asking me what I was doing as I sneaked it into second gear from the passenger seat before getting out. I replied that he might have total faith in the handbrake on the piece of s**t he was driving whilst unloading our pouches from the back but I certainly didn't.
Unbelievably he got the right hump, which got even worse when we moved onto the next loop and he didn't put it into neutral first.
Takes two seconds to leave it in gear and turn the wheels to the kerb and prevent a possible life changing incident or even death. How anyone can work behind one of our poorly maintained vans on a hill and have faith in the handbrake is just totally beyond me
apple wrote:more than half the office dont know how to use them, press the button on the end then pull up, its not supposed to make a noise when you pull it on
That's the opposite of what I was told, both on my actual driving test 15 years ago and by the pertemps instructor. I'm genuinely curious as to who told you to push the release button in before applying the handbrake.
was told when I took my test to do it, a long time ago, not to yank it on, to pull it up and release the button, make no noise, I was also told, as it is a basic ratchet system then the constant pulling up without pressing the button in will wear out the teeth of the ratchet system, who knows but its what I do, might it be the case that doing it by just pulling it up the number of times we have to use it without pressing the button is contributing to the number of roll aways? who knows? how I do it, might have all changed now,
hothothot wrote:If you have a roller way ( handbrake left off) never admit it. Just say you had an ordinary accident. They won't no. then you might end up with a ban for a few weeks and not the tin tack.
So you accidentally leave the handbrake off and the van rools forward hits wall causing damage to van . You report this to Dom then get the sack. Or you say foot slipped off clutch hits wall you keep job but get a few weeks ban. This is good advice mate. You would obviously rather end up with the sack.
hothothot wrote:So you accidentally leave the handbrake off and the van rools forward hits wall causing damage to van . You report this to Dom then get the sack. Or you say foot slipped off clutch hits wall you keep job but get a few weeks ban. This is good advice mate. You would obviously rather end up with the sack.
It isn't good advice at all. It is insurance fraud. It could potentially lead to not only instant dismissal, but a criminal record.
There is a good chance that you MAY get away with it if you are fortunate. But there are a myriad of ways at which you could be caught out. A witness statement. Trimble data etc.
By all means, feel free to follow your own advice. Please don't advise others to do likewise.
apple wrote:more than half the office dont know how to use them, press the button on the end then pull up, its not supposed to make a noise when you pull it on
That's the opposite of what I was told, both on my actual driving test 15 years ago and by the pertemps instructor. I'm genuinely curious as to who told you to push the release button in before applying the handbrake.
was told when I took my test to do it, a long time ago, not to yank it on, to pull it up and release the button, make no noise, I was also told, as it is a basic ratchet system then the constant pulling up without pressing the button in will wear out the teeth of the ratchet system, who knows but its what I do, might it be the case that doing it by just pulling it up the number of times we have to use it without pressing the button is contributing to the number of roll aways? who knows? how I do it, might have all changed now,
I was told the same,always press the button in when applying the handbrake,saves wear.
hothothot wrote:So you accidentally leave the handbrake off and the van rools forward hits wall causing damage to van . You report this to Dom then get the sack. Or you say foot slipped off clutch hits wall you keep job but get a few weeks ban. This is good advice mate. You would obviously rather end up with the sack.
They will know if they bother to check the Trimble data.
Forget to apply the handbrake, initially a gentle roll with an increase in speed, but no engine data.
Foot slipped on the clutch, presumably with the engine running, a sharp increase in speed followed by either a stall or impact.
No - not much difference there.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
They're really cracking down on this now. A colleague was sacked last week for a serious van roll away incident; and while I knew him and didn't want to see him lose his job, how many times have we seen the same damn videos and signed form after form? People have written off vans with blatant careless driving in the past and kept their jobs, but now all sides are backed against a wall. It's near-instant dismissal from now on.