ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Altrider »

I remember at my induction in 2012 (seems a lifetime ago) being told by a RM HR suit and tie that "we are delivering less mail to more properties". I asked him afterwards, in words of two syllables, did he realise the absurd logic of the statement? Flummoxed by the bigger words his Nuremberg defence reply was "that's what they've told me to say" :shock:
B*gger never mentioned all the fecking packets going through the roof 'though. :mad
I'm out of it now but my thoughts are with you chaps and chappeses forced to take 2 steps forward and four back by an inept higher management hierarchy.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Celgar »

postietom wrote:As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.

From my point of view, it's the parcels that have increased. Oversized particularly. It's not just volumes either; virtually everything now needs scanning. There's loads more tracked, virtually everything has a 2d barcode.

Mail might be declining, but packet volumes are increasing and they take so much more time than post
For many years, apart from Xmas time, a very small percentage of the mail is derived from the contents of postboxes. It's highly unlikely this will ever change back unless there is some kind of disaster.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Celgar »

Altrider wrote:I remember at my induction in 2012 (seems a lifetime ago) being told by a RM HR suit and tie that "we are delivering less mail to more properties". I asked him afterwards, in words of two syllables, did he realise the absurd logic of the statement? Flummoxed by the bigger words his Nuremberg defence reply was "that's what they've told me to say" :shock:
B*gger never mentioned all the fecking packets going through the roof 'though. :mad
I'm out of it now but my thoughts are with you chaps and chappeses forced to take 2 steps forward and four back by an inept higher management hierarchy.
The HR suits comment is somewhat correct in that more houses are being built all the time and the mail volumes in terms of letters and flats are arguably declining. Of course this will mean the job will take longer and longer to do. But RM won't want to know about that side of the equation.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.