ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
HGV driver career path
-
Wornoutpostie
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Frustrating is the word....
I’ve gained my Class 1 through the Driver Career Path.
Self funded my CPC and digi card etc.
Got the skills,but now over looked.
Closed shop regarding vacancies at the VOC.
Also heard that my local mail centre took on 13 agency drivers, full time on Royal Mail contracts.
These vacancies weren’t advertised outside of the mail centre.
I’ll be doing my ADR soon - then after 2 years... “Bye Bye Royal Mail”
I’ve gained my Class 1 through the Driver Career Path.
Self funded my CPC and digi card etc.
Got the skills,but now over looked.
Closed shop regarding vacancies at the VOC.
Also heard that my local mail centre took on 13 agency drivers, full time on Royal Mail contracts.
These vacancies weren’t advertised outside of the mail centre.
I’ll be doing my ADR soon - then after 2 years... “Bye Bye Royal Mail”
-
abzyyy
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 01:16
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Have you gone down to the VOC and spoke to anyone in regards to transferring in?
-
Wornoutpostie
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
They had vacancies advertised when I was working at a VOC over Christmas. Was told I couldn’t apply - that’s from the rep and the boss.abzyyy wrote:Have you gone down to the VOC and spoke to anyone in regards to transferring in?
Even the Driver Career Path said I couldn’t apply for them.
Closed Shop......
I would rather take my skills elsewhere.
-
JFKelly79
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01
HGV driver career path
I think the big question is why offer the training if they are not gonna use the people who have the skills?? They will all just leave after 2 years!!
-
Wornoutpostie
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Yep.....That's what will happen.JFKelly79 wrote:I think the big question is why offer the training if they are not gonna use the people who have the skills?? They will all just leave after 2 years!!
Once qualified,we are supposed to cover at peak periods and cover holidays and sickness.
.....but we would have to be released at short notice.
Easier to get an agency driver in.
I can see them expecting me to cover again at Christmas..... a year after I last drove.....
-
Wardyward89
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 19:57
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
I went through DCP from class 2 to 1 and everything was covered from practical to cpc and Drivers card , you can get these paid back ask your manager,also SuccessFactors are advertising LGV vacancies in all areas of Uk at the moment...Wornoutpostie wrote:Frustrating is the word....
I’ve gained my Class 1 through the Driver Career Path.
Self funded my CPC and digi card etc.
Got the skills,but now over looked.
Closed shop regarding vacancies at the VOC.
Also heard that my local mail centre took on 13 agency drivers, full time on Royal Mail contracts.
These vacancies weren’t advertised outside of the mail centre.
I’ll be doing my ADR soon - then after 2 years... “Bye Bye Royal Mail”
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12198
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Chances are that no MC has enough staff in processing to allow them to release anyone to their distribution sectionWornoutpostie wrote:Yep.....That's what will happen.JFKelly79 wrote:I think the big question is why offer the training if they are not gonna use the people who have the skills?? They will all just leave after 2 years!!
Once qualified,we are supposed to cover at peak periods and cover holidays and sickness.
.....but we would have to be released at short notice.
Easier to get an agency driver in.
I can see them expecting me to cover again at Christmas..... a year after I last drove.....
-
JJtrucker
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 11 Jul 2018, 22:09
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum for a while, but I had never commented before.
I have class 2 and here in my deposit (Parcelforce) there are two class 1 and four class 2 driving a 7,5T and we never have the opportunity to be able to join another RM deposit to be able to drive vehicles of the category that you have. My mates with class 1 every time they apply for it,has been blocked.
I have class 2 and here in my deposit (Parcelforce) there are two class 1 and four class 2 driving a 7,5T and we never have the opportunity to be able to join another RM deposit to be able to drive vehicles of the category that you have. My mates with class 1 every time they apply for it,has been blocked.
-
JFKelly79
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01
HGV driver career path
Well I have finally got my foot in the door, I’ve been offered a job driving class 2, for the company. Its been a long hard slog. The only way anything happened was, I went through the “ask moya” route. I wasn’t gonna hold my breath for a reply, within a week I got a reply off a director apologising about the way I was treated, and they would see if they can help me. And here we are now with a job!!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Whats the pay and earning opportunities like on class 2?
-
JFKelly79
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01
HGV driver career path
It’s not 100 miles away from class 1, I’ve got a nice Monday to Friday duty. I took the job on on the condition that I can still go for my class 1 license if the opportunity comes up. To be honest I’m just so happy/ relived to get away from deliveries
-
Jonesy 1971
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 14:06
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Yes, as posted above class 2 rate is £28.7k nationally (inner London £34k) for a 36 1/4 hr week but beware most VOC’S need class1. I think PRDC and NDC have class 2 only duties and I think I’m correct in saying most class 2 only work would be through a MC. In a voc overtime is highly likely as duties can be up to 47 hrs per week average. Over time is £17+ per hr so easy to hit a good salary oh and there’s shift allowances of upto nearly £5k a year to add if you do nights.
-
amhopkins1
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:46
- Gender: Male
HGV driver career path
Wardyward89 wrote:I went through DCP from class 2 to 1 and everything was covered from practical to cpc and Drivers card , you can get these paid back ask your manager,also SuccessFactors are advertising LGV vacancies in all areas of Uk at the moment...Wornoutpostie wrote:Frustrating is the word....
I’ve gained my Class 1 through the Driver Career Path.
Self funded my CPC and digi card etc.
Got the skills,but now over looked.
Closed shop regarding vacancies at the VOC.
Also heard that my local mail centre took on 13 agency drivers, full time on Royal Mail contracts.
These vacancies weren’t advertised outside of the mail centre.
I’ll be doing my ADR soon - then after 2 years... “Bye Bye Royal Mail”
How do you access SuccessFactors? Or do you need your manager to do this? Cheers
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16711
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
HGV driver career path
You use your pay number and your NI number for user name and password.
The first 2 letters of your NI number are lower case I think.
Once in you can personalise your password.
The first 2 letters of your NI number are lower case I think.
Once in you can personalise your password.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.