Well said that man,after 40 years I salute you,yes change is inevitable but let’s not over complicate the job as managers seem to want to do,it ain’t rocket science,Mail arrives gets sorted goes out and gets delivered,simple,they seem to have to make up a job and position every step of the way to justify themselves,director of this co ordinator of that blah blah ,number one wrote:Spot on pal, I’m 18 years in and still love it. Some people just don’t deal with change and will moan not matter what. Some people need to get in the real world and realise what they have is a lot better than others.Jack1960 wrote:In my 40th year on delivery and still love the job. Yes there have been changes,only to be expected,but our terms and conditions have improved in parallel to the changes. Far too many doom and gloom merchants knock the job.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What's the job like now
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
What's the job like now
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
What's the job like now
clashcityrocker wrote: Do you know what percentage of your mail is currently sequenced?
I think the average is around 70%. It may vary from area to area?
That percentage will probably only increase as automation improves.
If you had a duty of 1500 items then assuming 2/3rds is sequenced it leaves you 500 letters to sort.
Whereas now you require a slot for each house, if you are prepping much less mail you don't.
Whereas now you have 120 slots,a slot for each house in Acacia Avenue for example, you could have only 60. Obviously the basic maths suggest it would be less, but assuming they halve the size of your frame, the indoor footprint of your office is halved.
Consequently they can now move another DO of a similar size into your office. (Or move you elsewhere).
And sell the real estate which I think is the real driving force behind the changes. So all the talk of will it save 5 minutes or 25 minutes misses the point completely.
It allows them to sell Delivery Offices.
I thought you were serious for a minute lol... good one!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16715
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
What's the job like now
So I counted my mail today.Celgar wrote:
Regarding the percentage of mail currently arriving at DOs in sequenced trays no way is it an average of 70%. The ratio is probably a lower percentage on Tuesdays given how RM manages the mail flow for that day. The rest of the week it's probably between 20 and 30 percent.
Sequenced mail approx. 850 letters.
Non sequenced approx. 350 items.
That is a 70/30 split. Using the exact figures it was 73/27.
Interestingly about 750 of the sequenced items were on the first wave. How far away from one wave are we?
If you put the 300 items into a standard RM 2000 frame they all looked a little bit lost. The other 50 items wee packets that wouldn't fit in the frame anyway.
So maybe you only get 20% sequenced mail.
I think my experience would be repeated by most who try it.
Or maybe you aren't really a postman or you just come on here to troll?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12200
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
What's the job like now
Probably when hell freezes over. If one wave ever were to be implimented then the sequencing wouldn't be started till around 05:00/05:30 so say a given CSS machine has 10 batches to run, you'd be looking at 12:00/13:00 by the time that the final batch has finished being run and that's assuming that the batches were small enough to each be run in one hitclashcityrocker wrote:How far away from one wave are we?
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
What's the job like now
I loved being a postie,it wasnt until the last couple of years when it really changed and I just couldnt handle the way I was spoken to or treated by management,from looking forward to going to work I used to dread going in,and it was effecting my health,so I had to get out. It still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth [ no dont get the violins out!] how in the end I was made to hate the job I had loved for so many years. Posties are a special breed and I dont think I have laughed so much whilst still working hard,yes I do miss this. A great job ruined by managers who have no people skills.Jack1960 wrote:In my 40th year on delivery and still love the job. Yes there have been changes,only to be expected,but our terms and conditions have improved in parallel to the changes. Far too many doom and gloom merchants knock the job.