ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by terry2972 »

Did mine today it was quite interesting to see how they are meant to perform the role as you stated not much chance as a lot of applicants for a few roles
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by Brandy »

Perhaps you wasnt nasty enough,wasnt a bully or a liar. :hmmmm
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by terry2972 »

Robtor wrote:
Flamunio wrote:Recieved a response saying my application was unsuccessful due to not meeting the criteria? What criteria is this?

Also how does a guy whos been part time for 6 months go onto start cover managing before a person with 10 years postal experience?
Probably because the guy who got it made a better application? Half the point in Royal Mail going over to this system is to assess and pick people more like a decent commercial company, rather than based on who's the DOM's mate or seniority, which is clearly absurd.

I've applied and all's going well so far, just the interview left this week. Clearly it's because my application and online assessments were good enough, thank god it's not based on some stupid seniority thing, making this whole difficult process pointless.
How did it go?
D125
Posts: 9
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 18:38
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by D125 »

I made the interview stage & passed all but the role play part. Post readvertised - external only - before I'd even finished my interview.

I took the issue up to the highest possible level via the unions - completely fobbed off & given different feedback every step of the way.

I then waited 6 months, applied again for the same post which had not been filled - didn't even make it past the application stage this time as I, 'did not meet the criteria' !?!

Colleagues were also interviewed,etc. but were unsuccessful due failing online literacy & numeracy tests, so had no chance of success at all!!!
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by gary1975 »

D125 wrote:I made the interview stage & passed all but the role play part. Post readvertised - external only - before I'd even finished my interview.

I took the issue up to the highest possible level via the unions - completely fobbed off & given different feedback every step of the way.

I then waited 6 months, applied again for the same post which had not been filled - didn't even make it past the application stage this time as I, 'did not meet the criteria' !?!

Colleagues were also interviewed,etc. but were unsuccessful due failing online literacy & numeracy tests, so had no chance of success at all!!!
I thought you only needed to know how to switch a kettle on or know where the nearest Greggs is
Speedylegs59
Posts: 8
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:58
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by Speedylegs59 »

I left the business after 25years , after the new clueless, yes men breed starting coming through. I had too much pride than to work for such pathetic bullies that most of them now are! The company is run by spreadsheet operators who have ousted proper respected managers who knew what the job was like and about and stand up for the workforce when appropriate. Only criteria to get promoted is to not have any voice other than to say to yes to them above!! Nothing more, nothing less!!
If you apply to be a manager and are unsuccessful, take it as a compliment as you must have shown early you have morals, self respect, common sense and that are already too good as a postie to be demoted to the bully brigade!
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by woody38 »

Brandy wrote:Perhaps you wasnt nasty enough,wasnt a bully or a liar. :hmmmm
We have had new cover managers at our office the one is fine but the other has no people skills whatsoever, calls people names that I haven’t heard in over 40 years.
It seems the only people they took on where university graduates weather they where any goods seems to not be part of the process, an example being a postie from our place gets on with everybody, has people skills, has been acting as a manager for over a year, was good at management didn’t get the job.

It seems the more u talk about people behind the back, useless at everything the more u get on at RM
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by terry2972 »

Royal Mail doesn’t change a acting manager didn’t get through the cv stage so no interview but still has been offered a job the joys of this company
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by walkthewalk »

Mobey wrote:Don't worry about it too much. There was a roleplay practical assessment.

Image
Everyone of them work in my office :whistle
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Unsuccessful cover manager application

Post by fishtank »

I made the interview stage & passed all but the role play part. Post readvertised - external only - before I'd even finished my interview
Each area had a quota, 60% internal- 30% external-10% absorption of roles.
Obviously by the time your interview came around bessy mates and relations had filled up the 60%.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share