ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Ralpho »

What's an epod?
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Interested-seeker »

Ralpho wrote:What's an epod?
EPOD stands for Electronic Proof of Delivery. It is a piece of paper where you write down the tracking numbers of parcels. You use it when you do not have a PDA or when your PDA fails. You write on there whether the item was delivered or undelivered. When you get back to the office, those numbers are then logged onto the PDA through the "ad hoc delivery" function.
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Ralpho »

Thanks for that.
Must ask for one, it wasn't covered in my five hours of training
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Seymour Buts »

I wouldn't do that! I assume you're on about then fabricating the time to say it was there before 1 on the form. What if the customer complains it was late?
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Interested-seeker »

Ralpho wrote:Thanks for that.
Must ask for one, it wasn't covered in my five hours of training
You are welcome. I only found out what they were during Christmas time. The office did not have enough PDAs for everyone so I was given an EPOD instead. For the signed for items, you need to get signatures onto the paper. Get a little folder to put the form in to keep it dry. Really, you shouldn't have to put the numbers onto the PDA yourself when you return to the office (if you are past your time). Talk to your manager and ask him what he wants you to do, it may be for PHG (caller's office) staff to do.
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Ralpho »

postietom wrote:I wouldn't do that! I assume you're on about then fabricating the time to say it was there before 1 on the form. What if the customer complains it was late?
Good point, then you'd really be in the sh!t
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by korky »

postietom wrote:I wouldn't do that! I assume you're on about then fabricating the time to say it was there before 1 on the form. What if the customer complains it was late?
fair point but i've had to use this method a few times due to pda crashing and even no pda at all, it was before 1pm anyway but shows it can be manipulated
i didn't write the time down either, those signing never look.
i'm sure if the recipient was angry he'd say so at the door and not complain after signing it, unless he writes the time on the epod i'd guess you could say "i don't know, i think it was on time"
once got sent out with some missort 1pms at 1pm, was told to use this process anyway

it stinks that we work for such a large company and they have absolutely zero interest in its staff and to reduce new recruits to the verge of quitting who they should giving more support to and not abuse is scandalous
trouble is if they show backbone and refuse to be intimidated they're shown the door, i've seen a person who before even getting to their frame to see how busy it is tell manager they must finish on time and get threatened with suspension for wilful delay!
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by burtons »

Hi there for of all don't give up yet.speak to the management.explain you are struggling.is there a union rep in your delivery office,ask the guys or gals you work with.is there a work place coach.firstly you've been s**t on one days training and being put on a hct it's not on.hct can take abit of getting to grips with even go for a experienced postman.you would be far better off on a van share and you should of had at least a weeks training /coaching.if you don't get any joy with the above make sure you join the union if you haven't already.if there is no union rep ask how to contact area rep as he should sort it out asap.you have obviously ended up in a office with a poor management.not acceptable at all.iv been in your shoes and it can be a nightmare but you will get through it.hope this helps
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by delfranklin1969 »

I don't think I have ever met a postie who has not hit the wall and wanted to give up after a few weeks so your not alone! When I started six years ago and the training was a lot better, I had three days training on a rural round and did that for three weeks, then I was put on another rural with two days training and did that for two weeks, then I was put on the bike round from hell but still got two days training but the first day I did it on my own (a busy Wednesday) I finished at 5 PM and had to cycle three miles back to the office. That was the closest I came to thinking its not for me.

It appals me that I read posts like this and the stupendous lack of training that new starters are given. I've certainly noticed the changes since privatisation, they really throw people in at the deep end. It's always pretty heavy this time of year which doesn't help but it will soon quieten down a little.

Van shares can be better but really depends who you are paired with. I was put with a casual who had practically no training and ended up doing a lot of the work (all the drop off parcels and finding him on a loop as he was way behind me naturally!) because we needed to be in the second half of the share three miles away to deliver the specials. Ended up a nightmare few days but I just ended up phoning the DOM and saying we wouldn't complete. This was not the casuals fault, it was the company failing to train people properly.

Hope you stick it out because once it starts making sense and everything clicks, your hard pushed to find unskilled work which pays better.
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by gary1975 »

delfranklin1969 wrote:I don't think I have ever met a postie who has not hit the wall and wanted to give up after a few weeks so your not alone! When I started six years ago and the training was a lot better, I had three days training on a rural round and did that for three weeks, then I was put on another rural with two days training and did that for two weeks, then I was put on the bike round from hell but still got two days training but the first day I did it on my own (a busy Wednesday) I finished at 5 PM and had to cycle three miles back to the office. That was the closest I came to thinking its not for me.

It appals me that I read posts like this and the stupendous lack of training that new starters are given. I've certainly noticed the changes since privatisation, they really throw people in at the deep end. It's always pretty heavy this time of year which doesn't help but it will soon quieten down a little.

Van shares can be better but really depends who you are paired with. I was put with a casual who had practically no training and ended up doing a lot of the work (all the drop off parcels and finding him on a loop as he was way behind me naturally!) because we needed to be in the second half of the share three miles away to deliver the specials. Ended up a nightmare few days but I just ended up phoning the DOM and saying we wouldn't complete. This was not the casuals fault, it was the company failing to train people properly.

Hope you stick it out because once it starts making sense and everything clicks, your hard pushed to find unskilled work which pays better.
Second half of the duty 3 miles away christ ffff that
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by delfranklin1969 »

I know, stupid that the two rounds are so far apart but that's the way it is!
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Ralpho »

Thanks for all the very useful feedback and words of wisdom.
Went in earlier today and had a chat with my manager about things and how I was feeling.
He was very reassuring and positive about my progress to date. Basically told me to stick in there, keep doing what I'm doing and to watch those 1PMs lol
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi

I’d agree with a lot of the others.

I’ve been with RM for 19 months & I’ve had my ups & downs & still do to this day. I was close to jacking it in last week but I got through & im feeling alright again. Click on my name & have a read of my posts along with all the advice I’ve been given. It’s a good read.

All the best mate
Jsesto97
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Jan 2018, 18:50
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by Jsesto97 »

It does get better, but as your manager was polite and understanding just avoid them for a few days, they might be planning something lol. But like the others say use the Epods or a p739 card to get people to sign on if your going to be late. Good luck.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

6 weeks in - close to leaving

Post by yellowbelly »

Jsesto97 wrote:...... But like the others say use the Epods or a p739 card to get people to sign on if your going to be late.....
Or do what is says on the daily message on your PDA and advise manager that you're not going to make it for 1.00pm and
let him/her allocate resources to get it there on time. Don't leave yourself wide open to a customer complaint.
If/when it goes wrong there'll only be one person who gets the blame and it won't be the manager......