Just tell him you meant you used to do gymnasticspostmail3 wrote:I'm with you DRM I need to cut off but my boss keeps telling me "in your interview your said you were flexible..." thus making me feel bad and therfore I'm stuck doing 3 hrs OT.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Not For Me
-
kevbo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 134
- Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:33
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
-
elteleltel
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hertfordshire
Not For Me
NewPostieUK wrote:I'm very open minded, but that will take some explaining.gumbygirl77 wrote:
I am a father ..
I was thinking Frank Spencer ....Betty is pregnant , Frank says " I'm a man "
:)
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
Again. Until next time.gary1975 wrote:Don't quit we're on the cusp of something special
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Not For Me
Six hour delivery's for all!gary1975 wrote:Don't quit we're on the cusp of something special
-
Jamiechelt
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
Hey, I have been there for 4 weeks now and honestly it does get easier. Not easy but easier. Wait til 6 weeks and then make your final decision. I am on week 5 starting Monday and it is becoming more enjoyable, my fitness levels have increased and I feel more confident in my abilities.
Just a question though ,.. so many say dont carry bags. I do, I have to no trolley will fit in the tiny vans especially with a shared van. The bags are very heavy!!!
Just a question though ,.. so many say dont carry bags. I do, I have to no trolley will fit in the tiny vans especially with a shared van. The bags are very heavy!!!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16715
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Not For Me
You load a golf trolley in the van.Jamiechelt wrote: no trolley will fit in the tiny vans especially with a shared van!
It might be that some packets won't fit in the van, but the trolley always will.
It is basic H&S and I am sure your DOM will agree that your H&S is paramount.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
DRM
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
- Gender: Female
Not For Me
Ha hacrimson king wrote:I hear you brother, pretty much where I am after this week...DRM wrote:I've been with RM for about 6 months. I'm starting to look around at other jobs. The physical side of the work is not a problem, I keep fit but it's the management. I try and tell myself once you are out on delivery all is good and haven't got the boss breathing down your neck. But most days I need to cut off, due to poor man management, and it's always a hassle or they make it that way. Everyday the DOM puts pressure on me to work overtime. I just can't be doing with the constant battle.
I was really looking forward to this job when I first started, but I can honestly say it would have been so much more easier / enjoyable without sh*te management.
EDIT: Sorry, I've just seen on the left that you're female, but I won't change the post. Saying I hear you sister would just sound odd I think.
Sorry you've had a rubbish week too.
-
DRM
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
- Gender: Female
Not For Me
I'm pretty much at this point. There's only so much playing ball I could do. I put in OT when needed over Xmas, so stepped up to the mark. But as soon as I said I want to leave on time I get this disapproving look from the manager! I'm pass the point of caring. It's a "I'm leaving on time, deal with it".terry2972 wrote:I am sorry that you have a constant battle to finish on time if you stay long enough it will get easier to cut off I personally do not have any problems if I need to cut off I do, if the manager moans about it just smile and say it’s not my problem. But if you cut off make sure you don’t get back early do not give them any ammunition
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
If you’re serious about leaving, here’s a little thing you could try first.
Say no to all overtime. Take your time. Do not rush. Finish on time. You might feel like your manager is making you feel guilty, shame, disappointment, all of those toxic things, but you’re leaving anyway, right?
Then after a month of your little experiment, you might find yourself not asked to go over anymore. You might find that you’re on a manageable job. You might find that you become one of the “don’t even ask him” crowd.
Then you might be fine.
The key though, is sticking to your own rules during this test. Let’s say it’s for experimental integrity.
Say no to all overtime. Take your time. Do not rush. Finish on time. You might feel like your manager is making you feel guilty, shame, disappointment, all of those toxic things, but you’re leaving anyway, right?
Then after a month of your little experiment, you might find yourself not asked to go over anymore. You might find that you’re on a manageable job. You might find that you become one of the “don’t even ask him” crowd.
Then you might be fine.
The key though, is sticking to your own rules during this test. Let’s say it’s for experimental integrity.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
Let me just add something else. New people need to understand two points:
Managers need to get the mail clear. The ideal technique for this is for resourcing to be done properly so that all work is covered without overtime. This doesn’t happen. The next technique is to get people who want the overtime, to do the overtime. This sometimes happens. The final technique, the most common technique across the land, the last resort, is to push weak people into doing overtime they don’t want to do. Lots of mail is cleared using this technique, hence why it is used so frequently. It gets great results.
Don’t be a weak person. If you don’t want overtime, get in the “don’t even ask them” category as soon as possible.
And that brings us on to the second point. Never, ever, EVER, think that if you do a bit of overtime today, you’ll be left alone going forward ‘cos you helped that one time. Stop leaving the “don’t ask” crowd. Stay put.
Managers need to get the mail clear. The ideal technique for this is for resourcing to be done properly so that all work is covered without overtime. This doesn’t happen. The next technique is to get people who want the overtime, to do the overtime. This sometimes happens. The final technique, the most common technique across the land, the last resort, is to push weak people into doing overtime they don’t want to do. Lots of mail is cleared using this technique, hence why it is used so frequently. It gets great results.
Don’t be a weak person. If you don’t want overtime, get in the “don’t even ask them” category as soon as possible.
And that brings us on to the second point. Never, ever, EVER, think that if you do a bit of overtime today, you’ll be left alone going forward ‘cos you helped that one time. Stop leaving the “don’t ask” crowd. Stay put.
Last edited by LaggyBand on 11 Mar 2018, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
also doesnt really matter whats said in interview, whats said in the contract is what matters.kevbo wrote:Just tell him you meant you used to do gymnastics :wink: Seriously flexible means 10 or 15 mins now and again not 3hrs OT.postmail3 wrote:I'm with you DRM I need to cut off but my boss keeps telling me "in your interview your said you were flexible..." thus making me feel bad and therfore I'm stuck doing 3 hrs OT.
-
rumble1234
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 07 Dec 2010, 11:52
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
Don't stick with it. It'll grind you down mate. If you get a job offer take it and phone them up and say you quit and hang up.no loyalty to a company that would run you into an early grave. Go soon mate it's not worth the hassle and stress.best of luck
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Not For Me
This is spot on and really well put. Don't think they'll ever ask you to run an induction day though!LaggyBand wrote:Let me just add something else. New people need to understand two points:
Managers need to get the mail clear. The ideal technique for this is for resourcing to be done properly so that all work is covered without overtime. This doesn’t happen. The next technique is to get people who want the overtime, to do the overtime. This sometimes happens. The final technique, the most common technique across the land, the last resort, is to push weak people into doing overtime they don’t want to do. Lots of mail is cleared using this technique, hence why it is used so frequently. It gets great results.
Don’t be a weak person. If you don’t want overtime, get in the “don’t even ask them” category as soon as possible.
And that brings us on to the second point. Never, ever, EVER, think that if you do a bit of overtime today, you’ll be left alone going forward ‘cos you helped that one time. Stop leaving the “don’t ask” crowd. Stay put.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
DRM
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
- Gender: Female
Not For Me
Thank you for this, great advice. I will certainly be in the "don't ask" crowd! I'm not a push over, I just find it so wrong that in this day and age you have to have 'battles' with so called managers. How an earth can anyone get away with bully tactics. I've honestly never worked for a company like it.LaggyBand wrote:Let me just add something else. New people need to understand two points:
Managers need to get the mail clear. The ideal technique for this is for resourcing to be done properly so that all work is covered without overtime. This doesn’t happen. The next technique is to get people who want the overtime, to do the overtime. This sometimes happens. The final technique, the most common technique across the land, the last resort, is to push weak people into doing overtime they don’t want to do. Lots of mail is cleared using this technique, hence why it is used so frequently. It gets great results.
Don’t be a weak person. If you don’t want overtime, get in the “don’t even ask them” category as soon as possible.
And that brings us on to the second point. Never, ever, EVER, think that if you do a bit of overtime today, you’ll be left alone going forward ‘cos you helped that one time. Stop leaving the “don’t ask” crowd. Stay put.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Not For Me
It's the way forward. It's how the company is going.DRM wrote:Thank you for this, great advice. I will certainly be in the "don't ask" crowd! I'm not a push over, I just find it so wrong that in this day and age you have to have 'battles' with so called managers. How an earth can anyone get away with bully tactics. I've honestly never worked for a company like it.LaggyBand wrote:Let me just add something else. New people need to understand two points:
Managers need to get the mail clear. The ideal technique for this is for resourcing to be done properly so that all work is covered without overtime. This doesn’t happen. The next technique is to get people who want the overtime, to do the overtime. This sometimes happens. The final technique, the most common technique across the land, the last resort, is to push weak people into doing overtime they don’t want to do. Lots of mail is cleared using this technique, hence why it is used so frequently. It gets great results.
Don’t be a weak person. If you don’t want overtime, get in the “don’t even ask them” category as soon as possible.
And that brings us on to the second point. Never, ever, EVER, think that if you do a bit of overtime today, you’ll be left alone going forward ‘cos you helped that one time. Stop leaving the “don’t ask” crowd. Stay put.
Bye