ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part timers doing full time, snow problems

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Part timers doing full time, snow problems

Post by Xr4 »

I'm a part timer, I support the seniority thing as managers show favoritism to certain people to give them more overtime. If a part timer signs up for PT round as it was the only one avaliable and doesn't get the chance to do overtime, why should they be penalised and miss out on overtime to a manager's favourite?
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Part timers doing full time, snow problems

Post by The Postman »

Xr4 wrote:I'm a part timer, I support the seniority thing as managers show favoritism to certain people to give them more overtime. If a part timer signs up for PT round as it was the only one avaliable and doesn't get the chance to do overtime, why should they be penalised and miss out on overtime to a manager's favourite?
Overtime isn’t given out on seniority, is it? Isn't it the upgrade to a f/t contract from p/t?

In most cases the managers “favourite” will be the guy/gal that has put in the hours on o/t in the past to clear the office for them, why shouldn’t they be rewarded with an upgrade to f/t?

I’m one of the new ones in my office and the only o/t I’m ever offered is to work on later to clear the office when it’s really busy, the “favourites” as you call them are always given o/t first, however I think this is fair as they have obviously earned it, same with the part timers that come in early to prep, a couple in my office that are in doing f/t hours every day and deserve an upgrade to f/t, however there’s more senior part timers than them in the office who would jump at f/t but refuse any kind of o/t whatsoever. So I think it would be unfair for the ones who don’t want to work o/t to be made full time and the one’s who do want o/t lose the hours they’ve been regularly getting.

That’s how I see it anyway, I’m just fortunate enough that I was looking for p/t work when I took the job, maybe if I was looking for f/t I’d see it differently.

I presume from your post you are having difficulty getting o/t? Have you made your availability for o/t clear to your manager?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Part timers doing full time, snow problems

Post by POSTMAN »

t3mcIUQWE2 wrote:
My understanding is that this is a national issue. Never the less, the responses above are pathetic. I can't believe people would abandon their colleagues so easily.
I understand you are upset and mad about the situation but calm down with the 'pathetic' comments regarding users who have taken the time to reply to you.

You've been on the site since 2015, you regularly post so you must know how the site works, so you must also know we champion the part-timers for a fair deal!
Reading through the thread the guys have helped you with your query, reading through the site there are many threads on the subject as well.

As has been said, get your rep to get involved with the 6 month review of part timers hrs!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.