ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Just want to work my hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by joewyan »

Pathfinder wrote:Out of all the part timers in our office there’s only one that gets his round prepped and he’s a buddy of the DOM, coincidence?

Is there anything in writing that says P/Ters should be getting their rounds prepped? Would be interesting to read if there was!

I feel your pain OP most of us have been there and nothing gets done about it.
It completely depends on an individual basis. Some walks are part time including the prep time, some are essentially full time walks which get prepped in full in order to make it a part time job. Part timers are on different hours too spit really depends on the job/postie on the job.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by aiden01 »

tommyrep wrote:
aiden01 wrote:And what do you to stop it in your office??an please from a male posting this what is his woman break??
If your comment is directed at me, I tried and failed due to selfish, pig headed senior posties who don’t give @ s..t about any new starts. Too many brown noses happy with their lot and left alone. DOMs who prey on naive new starts too afraid to lose a job after the trial period is up. Area reps only interested in large units and don’t car3 about those out in the sticks.
Banging my head against interpretation. Every one else can do it, not happy ? ge5 another job, etc I could go on.
My point is as a union at the top this rife unfairness in delivery is long overdue some recognition, your lot in a MC does not begin to compare with delivery.
Strength in numbers is harder to bully, small units with bully’s and a few old soldiers is a lot different.
Does our Union just continue to ignore these facts without impunity ? So wise guy, your advice is welcomed!
Wasnt being a wise guy and have no advice for you think from your post you are doing best you can my comment was more against the op being a male and talking about a woman break and have just realised he has now edited his post.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Smir »

so many rounds don't get thrown off in my DO, its stupid.

Just manage your frame, if your walk takes you 3 hours 20 minutes, leave the office with 3 hours 20 minutes to spare (+ any break)

its not your duty to make sure all the post is delivered, that sthe managers.
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by PackageForYou »

This is the best thread I have read yet. Thank you OP for sharing and others for support. It's weird how we're hired to PT hours and then squeezed through breaks and into free work.

This gives me confidence I am not alone.

Thank you all.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by cpsteve »

superports wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
superports wrote: So you employ someone and he goes home early on a regular basis then when you are busy he downs tools do you- A stop letting him go home early/find him other work/more work to do or B let him take the p###. Give and take is common sense if you are working over 39hrs then your workload needs looking at, you have every right to get it adjusted and cutting off is the only way to bring attention to it of course you must inform your manager before you leave the office.

Are you advocating a return to RM banking hours?
If I employed someone I would ensure he would have enough work to fill his contracted hours. I would also ask him if he can work overtime rather than expect him to do it.
If I am finished early and a manager wants me to work to my time by doing something else, I have no problem whatsoever with that. However, on a light day if I'm asked to work to my time I will be asking how many other people have been asked to do the same and how some people, on a light day, can come back at the same time as a normal day but I get "penalised" for being honest/efficient.
Also, if RM want me to work to my time during the lighter weeks, I'll be more than happy to work to my time during the heavier weeks.
Have the R/M banked hours before then ive never heard of it.
We will see how data capture changes things i have no idea if they will bank hours but it seems like it to me.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Celgar »

In my experience no one within RM or the CWU wants to know if you go over your duty time but if once in a blue moon you come back an hour early it's like the moon has exploded. It's not the OPGs fault if the flow and amount of mail sorted is mismanaged particularly on Tuesdays.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by PackageForYou »

If I understand correctly you have to know you're going over before you leave so you tell your manager. Bit hard for a newby though
84summit
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 19:09
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by 84summit »

I felt a bit like it been mis sold the job too. It's not possible to do what they want in the hours they want. It's a constant rush. I must admit I'm glad to be leaving as it's a hard job with little assistance and support. The full timers have kept quiet in my DO and put up with no breaks and loads of lapsing, routes that keep getting bigger. Its impossible for most of the full timers to finish on duty time in our place and they all go over but if that's something I wanted to do all the time I'd have applied for it, plus it's a non stop hard day rushing and running to keep up. Glad to be leaving. Stage 1 on sick process too for breaking ankle. Like I chose that. Stupid company. I feel sorry for people that know what it used to be like that are still here and the pride they had. How can anyone recommend it to new starters I wouldn't.
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by PackageForYou »

Agreed
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Just want to work my hours

Post by Brandy »

84summit wrote:I felt a bit like it been mis sold the job too. It's not possible to do what they want in the hours they want. It's a constant rush. I must admit I'm glad to be leaving as it's a hard job with little assistance and support. The full timers have kept quiet in my DO and put up with no breaks and loads of lapsing, routes that keep getting bigger. Its impossible for most of the full timers to finish on duty time in our place and they all go over but if that's something I wanted to do all the time I'd have applied for it, plus it's a non stop hard day rushing and running to keep up. Glad to be leaving. Stage 1 on sick process too for breaking ankle. Like I chose that. Stupid company. I feel sorry for people that know what it used to be like that are still here and the pride they had. How can anyone recommend it to new starters I wouldn't.
Yes it used to be a great job,destroyed by those who have no idea what its actually like to be a postie! Good luck in whatever you do.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by hothothot »

you only have to work your contracted hours and no more, make sure you have your breaks and don't run round, also don't come in early.
postmail3
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
Gender: Female

Just want to work my hours

Post by postmail3 »

Does your contract state 9-2 though?
I have this problem as I've got kids to collect from school and my job advert was 930-230 but my manager says it's not specified in my contract what hours I do & it's down to business needs so today I started (reluctantly) at 8am.... I wish I had the balls to cut off at 1 the boss would have had a heart attack!
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by superports »

hothothot wrote:you only have to work your contracted hours and no more, make sure you have your breaks and don't run round, also don't come in early.
If only this was true.
I start on my time, take my breaks, do the job as they tell us to do it, but have been taken off my duty for not completing the delivery despite the fact that what I did do took me an hour over my finish time. Getting sick of the intimidation, harassment and threats.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by danterossetti »

superports wrote:
hothothot wrote:you only have to work your contracted hours and no more, make sure you have your breaks and don't run round, also don't come in early.
If only this was true.
I start on my time, take my breaks, do the job as they tell us to do it, but have been taken off my duty for not completing the delivery despite the fact that what I did do took me an hour over my finish time. Getting sick of the intimidation, harassment and threats.
It IS true. Put in a grievance.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by danterossetti »

And for heavens sake start making a log of the threats intimidation and witnesses etc.